Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
I'm interested in cast mounts as well.
Hey Iguana, I looked at your Manx post. Good stuff, thanx! But I have a question, it looked like the rotor hugged the inside of the caliper. Is that the way to have it? Or did you get it more "centered"? Thanks for the pix and narrative.

Good info Wythac. I followed the book and the enclosed instructions so if they were made correctly, I should be OK.

I'm also using stainless braided lines, Brad. I understand they are better than rubber and look cooler. Smile

Clone, I used a hardened washer as well. Oddly enough, my parts guy, who got me the washer, suggested not using it because it would be hard to manicure to fit.

Thank you again guys!!!
Chaz

Hi Chaz,

I usually center the rotor in the carrier before I am done but as long as it clears it should be fine. The big thing is making sure you keep the caliper straight as having it off will cause issues with the mounts.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Kiene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

I just put on a new CB Performance rear IRS disc brake conversion kit I got from Bugformance in Sacramento..

First time doing this one.

It came with cast aluminum mounts for the calipers.

It came with 4 sets of different thickness of washers so I could get the calipers centered.

It went very smoothly.

Chuck Beck's Corsair Stripper Buggy - current
http://www.billkiene.com/cars/cars/

1970 Bug - bought new but sold

1978 Bus - bought new but sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

Any idea what the threads are for hoses? Are there any issues with an 24" flexible line? I'd like a banjo fitting at the caliper.

Thank you!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Any idea what the threads are for hoses? Are there any issues with an 24" flexible line? I'd like a banjo fitting at the caliper.

Thank you!

Here is the Banjo I used on my rear calipers.

Dorman Banjo bolts #H9449-2 M10-1.50 23.4mm length. Carquest #WBH 301H5375

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

Still shopping around for brake line upgrades and need some more advice.

Clonebug, thank you for the banjo bolt information at the calipers (10 mm x 1.5 mm), I read your build and noted the clever use of a section of hardline. I do not know a place that will make that connection locally.

I am trying to find 24" braided hoses to replace the both flexible sections on each side of the swing arm.

24" braided stainless with banjo at the caliper and female VW 10 mm x 1.0mm at the other. Any concerns? Any suggestions that does not require adapters?

There are VW to -3AN.

Thank you
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

These guys can probably mkae what you need. I have used them before, great products. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3 Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc brakes won't fit. Shims? Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Still shopping around for brake line upgrades and need some more advice.

Clonebug, thank you for the banjo bolt information at the calipers (10 mm x 1.5 mm), I read your build and noted the clever use of a section of hardline. I do not know a place that will make that connection locally.

I am trying to find 24" braided hoses to replace the both flexible sections on each side of the swing arm.

24" braided stainless with banjo at the caliper and female VW 10 mm x 1.0mm at the other. Any concerns? Any suggestions that does not require adapters?

There are VW to -3AN.

Thank you

Most any well supplied hydraulic hose and fitting store should be able to help you.
It is a common fitting in the brake line industry.

It's just a DOT approved compression fitting.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: