Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Little Help Needed...
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FusionMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: A Little Help Needed... Reply with quote

I tried to find all the answers in searching...no dice, so I hope not to have too many common questions. I just bought a '68 Fastback [yay me] and it has two problems I am working on right now.

1) The speedo isn't working. When I drive with the cable unnattatched I can see it rotating consistantly, but when I put in [and i make sure it's completely in...i think] it just keeps going "click" and the needle jumps each time. Am I just not screwing it in correctly, or is it possibly damaged?

2) I am trying to replace the external door handle, and I found the screw for one side of it...is the other screw to the handle on the inside of the inner trim. Such as, do I have to take everything on the inside of the door off to unscrew it completely?

Hey I am excited about the car and am happy to be a TypeIII owner, it's a better way of life.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as # 2, Yes you have to take off the door panel, there will be one more phillips screw to undo. As far as # 1 its probaly in the speedo so you will have to take it apart ,(no big deal).

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Little Help Needed... Reply with quote

FusionMan wrote:
I tried to find all the answers in searching...no dice, so I hope not to have too many common questions. I just bought a '68 Fastback [yay me] and it has two problems I am working on right now.

2) I am trying to replace the external door handle, and I found the screw for one side of it...is the other screw to the handle on the inside of the inner trim. Such as, do I have to take everything on the inside of the door off to unscrew it completely?

There should be just the one screw that is located behind the seal on the end of the door. You remove that screw, and slide the handle toward the front of the car, then pull it out.You don't need to go inside the door, or remove the inner panel or anything like that to remove the external handle. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, I was thinking of the latch/keeper mechanism. Hope you didn't take off your door panel.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aussie01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up a used working speedo for around $20. Well worth it not having to deal with trying to repair one IMO. Then you can pull the broken one apart at your leasure and see what makes it tick and try restore it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: