Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

3rd or 4th generation Camaro or Firebird rear seats might work for you.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
EVfun wrote:
I wouldn't use the same width tires with different aspect ratios. The taller tire will have a narrower tread width. I think it looks weird to have the wider tread on the front.

Yep, our our exact thought as well so we ordered the 205/40's front & 215/45's rear this morning... and the 1" spacers for the rears as well.. Wink

Does anyone point me towards pictures of contoured seat bottoms? I think we are going to use the seats we have, use contoured seat bottoms... and then get a matching seat back cover and then order extra matching material to build the interior around...

I searched all over here and can't really find any examples or images to go off of for better ideas. So far the only ones I can find are online are TMI but they don't have decent images or options to see.... other than this but I know I've seen other styles of standard beetle contours in builds over the years but I'll be damned if I can seem to find any of them now.. LOL! so looking for suggestions I suppose...

Thanks!

For matched tires, I like these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=S...;tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=S...;tab=Specs

Seat options:

I'd search for some Austin Sprite seats, or similar, with a thin curved backrest...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTIN-HEALEY-SPRITE-BUG-E...mp;vxp=mtr

Sprite seats -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TR3 seats -

They would be more of a 'period' fit for the car, and thin curved back does wonders for providing a bit more legroom. Bottom cushion can be made thinner to gain more room between legs & bottom of steering wheel.

You might also look at marine/boat seats.

bryan
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
3rd or 4th generation Camaro or Firebird rear seats might work for you.

Mike T
Yeah I've been spying a few 3-4 gen Camaro/Firebirds rear seat sets locally at yards here... And the fits do look pretty close... only problem I'm having with them is we're still not sure about the color scheme for when we go to repaint, which be next winter... we seem to be leaning towards a dark Silver... and looking around at new cover for these are kinda pricey to change colors... Though they do look like they would be pretty simple to modify shape-wise to fir them nicely

And yeah we thought about the Triumph style barrel/bomber seats but we have an older similar trashed seat laying around that we've dropped in a few times thinking those styles as well but... because of the way the back wall slopes & the location & shape of the rear end of the pan you can push them back far enough so they are tight against the rear wall... which in turn makes it damn near impossible to get in or out of & also keeps you to far forward towards the dash... so, a bit cramped and not really into chewing on the dash while driving...

The 67' Vert seats just setting in there now are actually a pretty decent fit, but their looks are a bit lacking... I imagine we'll bolt them in, for this season anyway, to see how it goes from there (or at least it'll allow driving while we see what other options might come along over this season). Just not real hot the way the stock bottoms actually look. That's why I was thinking maybe contoured bottoms & stock backrest..

And another thing I would like to do as far as the interior goes is a surround that actually wraps around the upper back... as we want to make it so the back can fold forward for some hidden storage space behind it... house the battery, tools, spares etc... Have been working on some rough drawings, maybe Ill post one or two up soon... Wish I had a nice cad drawing of it...

From there, we're hoping to wrap the entire seating area to match and with a some luck, while my kids don't like this idea, I would like to see the surrounding material actually wrap around & over the top edge of the body to look sort of like a convertible boot... The fake boot is a little exaggerated in that pic of what I had in mind but, you'll get the idea...

Another thing we also know absolutely is the steering wheel... we're hoping we can find a smaller Banjo steering wheel, I've seen a few 14" out there in the repro market.. And we are also wanting to make it removable if possible, but won't even know until we fit one in there... all we do know is the 1/2 of a 16" steering wheel there just needs to go... we know why it's cut in half too... with a full 16" steering wheel you literally cannot simply get in or out without it being a 3 minute ordeal LOL!!!

And we'd still like to find the long thin British (TR?) style hood hinges front & rear... and locking solenoids as well... maybe even some cylinders as well to open them, maybe... down the road...
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Yep been awhile again... but productive none the less... Today we decided she was in dire need of a good attitude adjustment up front. So we narrowed her 4.25" ... I'm kinda thinkin we maybe got a little over zealous and I really think 2" would have worked but my oldest son swore up & down it needed 4" - 5" so we'll see... We have a few other beams to sacrifice so maybe we'll just wait & see on some show feedback and maybe pushing them back out a bit after some spectator consensus.

And we finally did away with the half of a steering wheel thing as well but.. getting into it makes me understand women wearing corsets a bit better... : ) =

SHOWTIME IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

One things for certain .... changing a vehicles altitude certainly changes its attitude.

Much better.. ..(IMO)
And it's still smiling.. Laughing

Looks like your son nailed the narrowed beam width amount . ...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Much better.. ..(IMO)

Looks like your son nailed the narrowed beam width amount . ...

X2. I'm liking it! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Spent most of yesterday hunting around Eldena for some early tie rods & ends ...and found em! Hopefully she'll get a full & proper test drive sometime this week and then move it here and I'll whip up some door panels, cover the tunnel (maybe a console too), steal the front carpets from the oval (put the original rubbermats back in the oval) and I think that'll work for a respectable (temporary) interior for this year. ...and after that, just chase a few electrical gremlins : )

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Yep! ...But now it can also lick the pavement using all 36 ponies Cool

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Early in the thread you said that you had never heard a 36 Horse that sounded the way yours did. I see the muffler under there now with the flared tips. Is that the same exhaust? Just wondering.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:

Early in the thread you said that you had never heard a 36 Horse that sounded the way yours did. I see the muffler under there now with the flared tips. Is that the same exhaust? Just wondering.

Mike T
Yeah those were the ones on them. We had an extra muffler from our oval resto and we bolted that up with regular pea shooter and yes the tapered ones do give it a throaty & deeper sound. But even with the regular shooters on and it still seems alot quicker than whats in the oval. But again still not sure if this is just due to it's weight -or- if they really did do something inside, maybe a cam? ...for the Judson that used to be on it...

Speaking of the Judson, we just did not want push the hole back through the rear deck so we offed it. We decided that when we go for the full rebuild I'm 99% sure we'll be doing an Okrasa instead to keep it all under the hood...

Also think when that time comes we're going to section off 2-3" of the pan to bring the rear wheels a bit more forward in the rear wheel opening... the fronts are pretty well centered but the rears just need to move forward a smidgen...

(Still want to get rid of that hideous & useless hood scoop, but I keep looking over at the clean rolling S10 chassis that sitting in my son's neighbors yard & 327 that's been sitting in crates for a decade or so needing some love... Hmmmm)
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Great looking car. The wheels and lowered stance looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Well, it made the first 20 mile trip to my house today and of course my son calls me halfway here saying it died... then while I'm talking to him the Cops showed up so once she left I called him back as he was waiting for a tow and asked him 'did ya check the wire out of the ignition switch?'
...DOH... VROOM!!!! ...

Think I'll start the door panels & a tunnel cover tomorrow and after run over to the other side of town and see what kind of cheap-o buffers they have there... And I found some '58 front beetle front turn signals in a box in the spare parts bin and I think they might look pretty nice up front on the sides... Hmmm....

I've never cut & buffed up old paint before (more-so on fiberglass) and I have no clue what kind of paint is on it, for all I know it could be house paint but kinda feels like lacquer ... Anyone got any simple polishing advice? like size? reasonable priced & easily attainable compounds etc...

... 2 weeks until showtime, lots to do...

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Any clearcoat safe polish should work. Try it by hand down low, like on the chin "spoiler" to see how it reacts. Polish is not wax, so don't confuse them. If it doesn't really need a polish - if there are not a million little scuffs or minor scratches, I'd give it a good clean and wax. Hitting it with a pre-wax clay bar will do wonders for the final product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Thanks Letterman... Going to buff it this weekend, wound buying smaller bottles of different products so we'll see what works on mystery paint.

Made the door panels today... still not exactly sure how to attach them yet though, need to figure it out before putting the black vinyl I picked up today... Might do a small faux vert boot if there's enough material left, I'm sure I'll figured out something... But not too shabby for temporary I suppose...

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Door panels: the 3M heavy duty velcro. Or, those push-through plastic plugs like you see on inner fender skirts on some cars. On my old Sterling, I simply used stainless oval head screws with stainless finishing washers.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Yeah those crossed my mind too but if you look at the first photo? The top edge of the panels has to bow in over 1" in a 14' of span and is going to be holding quite la oad to conform... will know more tomorrow, I think I'll cut a few shallow reliefs on the the back and see if the flex easier. And then to fasten them maybe some T-nuts epoxied from the backside maybe and then screws, washer & matching plastic black snap-on trim caps? or maybe an armrest... will know more tomorrow for sure...

And if it don't work heck masonite is only $4 for a sheet and its only two blocks from me and I can easily find another idea : )

I was kinda bored tonight too, so I decided to shine up the '58 indicators and dry fitted them to see what they might look like up front and... I really Like!!!

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Too bad you already put the fabric on. You could still use this trick: soak the masonite, then clamp it in place. As it dries, it'll retain the shape of the door. With the fabric it'll take longer (and run the risk of starting a mildew issue in the fabric), but will still work.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

That's exactly what I did yesterday : )

Had to cut down a windshield for a friends 52 chopped Ford yesterday so in between steps on that I just keep misting the clamped panels all day until they were good & soaked and then just laid them out in the sun and after drying they fit damn near perfect now... Still not sure how I'm going to attach them yet... I know it's easy to use the push-in or screw-on fasteners but would like to find a way to not see and fasteners (at the top anyway)... I like the Velcro idea but I don't think they'd hold very well, maybe I'll buy some and try it and see what happens... Or snaps maybe... I'll figure out something...

It was only the padding that's on them yet and beating in the sun, so they're dry... Going to cover them today with the stressed black vinyl that I picked up at Jo Ann's fabric... but might go back and pickup the Coarse Black tweed they had, might look a little better next to the seat coverings...

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
I was kinda bored tonight too, so I decided to shine up the '58 indicators and dry fitted them to see what they might look like up front and... I really Like!!!

That doesn't really work for me, but it's your car. I had a couple of ideas. One was the front parking and turn lights for a '65-'66 Mustang, the little round ones in the valance with the angled chrome buckets. If those could be turned to fit into the body below the headlights I think it would look good.

My other idea was some chrome shell round signal lights, like for a motorcycle, mounted a few inches inside of each end of the grill opening (kinda centered in the roundness of each end.) Then create an aluminum bar with the proper forward curve to follow the car shape. This bar gets its face polished like chrome and attaches to the chrome shells of the signal lights. It creates a bit of a grill for that opening while providing you with parking and turn lights. It avoids any more outwardly visible holes in your beautiful fiberglass too.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

Mounting points could be made where a light bar was attached to the front beam in the grille opening area, then the lights attached to bar. I'd agree with EVfun in that Amber motorcycle turn signals could be a good option.

But - you wouldn't have good light 'side visibility' for other cars in this situation.

bnc
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 LaDawri Sebring - #4 Reply with quote

I think I'm maybe going to go back & go with the tweed... Vinyl always looks so f'n tacky... wrinkly... and too black...

Gave it the first decent cut with the buffer and somewhat better. Sunday, we'll hit it with a second cut and then a proper polish & wax (I seriously think this is house paint) and whatever it is, it is...

And the console's in as well... I had some old cheap short-nap black automotive type carpet that's been sitting on the shelf for a decade rolled up now so I unrolled it and it's laying in the driveway flattening itself for a day & night before I cut it up and adhere it to the floor (loosely, 3M supper 77) and tie it together to the (quite boring & temporary) console...

Front turn signals... for using the the older beetle signals, they're not permanent, we're just going to cover the generic signal markers base-plate with them (drill, tap, long screw), the bases in there now are epoxied into the body and removing them will take some work so we're just hiding them for now... and looks better than the unsightly base for the show....

And yeah post up some pics of ideas you have for lights especially the bike lights you mentioned... I think I know what your suggesting but show me a pic of what you envision.. I'm all ears... errr... eyes...

Slowoval's been felling a bit neglected lately : (
It's ok, she'll get some lovin' Sunday as well...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: