Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air ride suspension 61 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hddsg2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

I am thinking about putting an air ride suspension on my 61 bug. With dropped spindles and a disc brake kit. They say use a 4 in narrowed beam. How will this affect my steering range?
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

I used to have airkewlds air ride on my 63.had a three inch beam from them as well, dropped spindles and drum brakes. When it was slammed you could not steer. Raised it wasn't an issue.
Zuesticle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

hddsg2002 wrote:
I am thinking about putting an air ride suspension on my 61 bug. With dropped spindles and a disc brake kit. They say use a 4 in narrowed beam. How will this affect my steering range?

My 60 is narrowed 4". It's lowered with drop spindles and adjusters welded in for the torsion springs. so you could say it's a "static" drop. Whoever did it before me decided they needed to use a sawzall drunk to cut into the body to make it "fit". terrible. What is mentioned above is correct, Steering is horrible lowered, I am forced to make EXTREMELY wide right turns and can turn left on a hairpin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

I got rid of the air ride. Had to many issues. Fix one leak another comes up etc lol. I have a five inch beam now and am still really low. Only issue I have now is it rubs the headlight buckets. Always something when u lower them a lot lol.
Zuesticle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

usmc1345 wrote:
I got rid of the air ride. Had to many issues. Fix one leak another comes up etc lol. I have a five inch beam now and am still really low. Only issue I have now is it rubs the headlight buckets. Always something when u lower them a lot lol.

How's the steering?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

Not bad on mine. You notice a difference from a stock width beam though lol.
noahtibbetts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

I'm wanting to put air ride on my '64. Are there any other options besides AirKewld's? I've researched their prices and they only proprietary thing they have are their weld in brackets to mount the air system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

noahtibbetts wrote:
I'm wanting to put air ride on my '64. Are there any other options besides AirKewld's? I've researched their prices and they only proprietary thing they have are their weld in brackets to mount the air system.

Have you researched the new hydrolic setup out of Florida ? ...much faster response

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
noahtibbetts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

haven't thought about hydraulics, thought they might be more expensive and more of a hassle. I have a welder so I can weld on the brackets, airkewld's set up is way expensive, but all inclusive. do you have any more info on the place in florida? is it specific for VW?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

noahtibbetts wrote:
haven't thought about hydraulics, thought they might be more expensive and more of a hassle. I have a welder so I can weld on the brackets, airkewld's set up is way expensive, but all inclusive. do you have any more info on the place in florida? is it specific for VW?

I went with the Titan rear air ride setup so I did not have to remove the body from my bug. I used a 4" narrowed custom beam with air shocks up front. I coupled all that with the accuair air management system. No switches, no need to try and level anything the accuair system handles all of it nicely. I have 3 pre-sets I use or do it manually to all 4 corners. I enjoy it, the ride is nice I can get in and out of my drive way without scrapping now. Laughing
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

62RagAZ wrote:
noahtibbetts wrote:

I went with the Titan rear air ride setup so I did not have to remove the body from my bug. I used a 4" narrowed custom beam with air shocks up front. I coupled all that with the accuair air management system. No switches, no need to try and level anything the accuair system handles all of it nicely. I have 3 pre-sets I use or do it manually to all 4 corners. I enjoy it, the ride is nice I can get in and out of my drive way without scrapping now. Laughing

Can you elaborate on what the Titan rear setup is? Is that for a Nissan Titan?
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

iadubber wrote:
62RagAZ wrote:
noahtibbetts wrote:

Can you elaborate on what the Titan rear setup is? Is that for a Nissan Titan?

Sure, I purchased it from limebug.net

http://limebug.net/product/view/2585/t1-beetle-1950-79-rear-air-ride-kit-for-swing-axle-bolt-on-424

I have not had a single issue with it, install was pretty straight forward.
noahtibbetts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

That setup does look pretty straight forward, i.e. bolt on. But what was your final cost? I calculated it and it is about $2000 not including shipping. Airkewlds is around $1700 but yes, welding and fitting is involved. How long have you had it?
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

noahtibbetts wrote:
That setup does look pretty straight forward, i.e. bolt on. But what was your final cost? I calculated it and it is about $2000 not including shipping. Airkewlds is around $1700 but yes, welding and fitting is involved. How long have you had it?

I think I paid right around $1800ish to get it to me if I remember correctly. I would have to dig out the invoice to give you a specific number. I have had the kit almost a year now, the air ride has held up nicely I have no issues with the Titan kit at all. The accuair I think is the key to being happy, always leveling itself is really nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
noahtibbetts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

NICE!!!
I priced it at $2500 USD for the front and rear kit. Did you only go with the rear kit? I believe the Accuair is an additional charge.
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: air ride suspension 61 bug Reply with quote

noahtibbetts wrote:
NICE!!!
I priced it at $2500 USD for the front and rear kit. Did you only go with the rear kit? I believe the Accuair is an additional charge.

Yes I only went with the rear kit, I had someone locally create me the front beam for air shocks. Accuair is a completely different thing to purchase, its your air management system over switches.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: