Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

Heathen64 wrote:

I have the wide pads on my '64.
Thanks

Define wide pads???

1958-1964 use the same shoes?

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlemania628
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MMW"]I did this on my 65'. One drum done yesterday. I found that a 31/64 drill did not allow for a tight enough fit. Next drum I will try a 15/32" drill bit. I used the part number mentioned from NAPA 641-1264. I did not grind down the heads at all & no clearance issues.

Previous owner had put two heli-coils in with lug bolts the were of questionable length. No wonder it didn't feel right. I had to make a few small tack welds on the knurled part of the stud for these two studs to fit tight when pressed in.

For lug nuts I ordered Dorman 611-201. These are a ball seat. Hopefully they fit fine. http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=26456&SEName=611-201

So, does that mean that the 15/32 drill bit work better than the 31/64?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

Ill advise.. sneak up on the right size drill bit..
Not easy to put metal back in the hole.

Start small and work up to a tight stud fit..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

Yes 15/32" worked the best for me. Pressed them in with a standard shop hydraulic press.

31/64" seemed not tight enough when I pressed them in.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
onetofixit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fixed it!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

onetofixit wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fixed it!

Got a picture of the inside of the drum?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onetofixit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

I didn't take a picture of the inside but it looked the same as the inside pictures posted earlier in this thread.
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Drum Brake, Press In Lug Nut Studs Reply with quote

Just about to fit EMPI Wide5 disc brakes on the front of my '58. I already have EMPI competition press in studs in my rear Type3 drums with the starting shoulder for easy wheel fitment (and have been happy with these). I'm guessing there will not be a way to press these into my new discs/rotors due to the design of these. Has anyone seen any cost-effective screw-in studs which will have a similar appearance? The rear studs are 14mm (with 1.5mm thread) so I'd like the same on the front.
Thanks
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: