Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Jason, any updates on how this setup is holding up?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Still working fine. The mount is like 4 times the thickness of the stock mount metal so plenty strong. I have a 2017 bolted to it now too.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Still working fine. The mount is like 4 times the thickness of the stock mount metal so plenty strong. I have a 2017 bolted to it now too.

Cool. Good to hear that.

Do you still have the computer file for it? If it matched what my friend has for his CNC setup, it would be easy to cut a few more.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I do on one of my pc's. I'll try and locate when I get home.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Dxf or vlm file. It is a pretty easy, crude file.
JDV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I would be interested in a couple if you had some cut.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I found the file. Only thing I ask is not to make and sell them. Of course you can recoup your cost if you have a batch cut, just don't want to see them sold for profit. Trying to help out the vw community. Message me and I can send the files. It's the same file for the bracket just different file types. VLM and DXF
swivel'n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I'd also be interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Figured I would write this in here before I forget again. I looked and the rectangular piece is tapped. Using stock sized button head bolts throughout. Uses a bus nosecone and reverse switch can't be used.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason, one of the files you sent can be used. My fab guy is gone until tomorrow (his daughter was there to check the file and she can outweld all of us put together). I will check with him tomorrow about a test run.

Was it 3/16" you used?

EDIT: I read back through this and found that you used 3/16" steel.
SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Did anybody ever make any of these to sell as I need 2? If not, Jason, I would really appreciate a copy of the file so I can have a couple made. My '59's will thank you for it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

SingleWheel wrote:
Did anybody ever make any of these to sell as I need 2? If not, Jason, I would really appreciate a copy of the file so I can have a couple made. My '59's will thank you for it.

Just started the process yesterday.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

If anyone needs the file pm me with an email to send it to.
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

What thickness was used for the rectangular piece? You said you tried a couple different thicknesses to get it correct, did you land on 3/16 for all the pieces? is there some iron-clad way to know that I've got the 67 rgb transaxle positioned in the correct spot on my early 59 single cab?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Fore and aft, I just lined up the cradle mounts. Up and down at the nose cone, I centered the shift rod in the tube. I haven't had the time to get under and check the thickness I used.
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Here is my attempt at making this. It came out pretty good, considering I don't have any "fancy" tools. I got the file from Jason, and luckily I have TruView software on my work computer, so I could print out templates. I used my jigsaw with metal cutting blades to roughly cut out the pieces, then finished the shaping with a grinder. My spend for this project was: $20.38 for a 6" x 12" piece of 3/16" steel, from Amazon. $6.98 for a pack of jigsaw metal blades from Home Depot. $17.95 for the front trans mount #211301265A from Wolfsburg West. The bolts etc. I had laying around. The fit was good, and it bolted up real nice. Once I finish rebuilding my motor, I'll report back how it's working out.

Last edited by fabfriar on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I couldn't open the file.. If I could get someone to break the file into a PDF for the template I could give it my water jet guy and he could bust some of these out..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
I couldn't open the file.. If I could get someone to break the file into a PDF for the template I could give it my water jet guy and he could bust some of these out..

pm me your email, and I'll send you the pdf.

Just a reminder, remember what Jason (who created this) said, earlier in the thread: "Only thing I ask is not to make and sell them. Of course you can recoup your cost if you have a batch cut, just don't want to see them sold for profit. Trying to help out the vw community. "
l96m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can send me a pdf of this template too. Working on my early single cab over the winter and would love to fab this mount. Thanks you guys! [email protected]
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I would totally buy one of these if someone did a batch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: