Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
markd89 wrote:
Sorry to hear about the overheating...

I was afraid this was going to happen to me with all of the plumbing, so I setup a circuit on the expansion tank. If it gets low, there's a really obnoxious piezo beeper which goes off. Of course, because I have that setup, my system has been mostly leak-free..

YMMV

Mark

Mark, can you tell me more about your setup?

I had a blinky LED but for some reason it didn't work after I put the engine back, despite all the wiring checking out and such.

It did work before and even warned me once.

If your circuit worked before, it may be easiest just to get it working again and try to drive the beeper instead of building mine, but here's the info on mine anyway:

I used this:

http://www.circuitstoday.com/liquid-level-indicator

My notes say: I used the above circuit with the addition of the capacitor on pin 9 shown below and 470 ohm resistor on 14 as shown below and diode across relay as shown below. I did not need to use the transistor. The relay used was 12 volt 960 ohm, so about 12 milliamps. That relay runs a loud piezo beeper and a warning light. I have a momentary test switch as well as an on-off switch to shutoff the piezo beeper.

The expansion tank has two terminals. I ran two wires to the terminals- one to the sensor part of the circuit and the other to the ground part of the circuit. I didn't run the ground through the chassis. That may well have worked, but I though it would be simpler not to rely on that.

After I built this, I remember that I found an easier way to do it with a newer circuit than LM1830, but I don't remember what it was -- might be worth some googling..

One last note.. on my aluminum radiator tubes, I used something like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/013/10002/-1

I hope that helps. Any questions let me know and I will try hard to remember Smile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I got the head off today without any real drama.

I was pleased to see that the hash marks in cylinders 2 and 3 are clearly visible, and no obvious damage to the block or pistons.

Also I cleaned up the rear cushion. In all the disasters, I had tried to open the cap to help the system bleed after having added coolant and driven a very short distance. I had driven such a short distance, I didn't think it would have pressurized, but it sure did! When I tried to open the cap, a giant geyser came flying out, shooting straight up into the bus, and hitting the headbanger cabinet, making a huge mess. So the cushion needed washed.

Here's how I made sure it was rinsed well. I figured it was somewhat clever.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, here's a shot of the block, and old head before I stripped it.

And this is a very beautiful picture, indeed!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I did get the low coolant level blinky light to work again. (I guess I'll have to verify that it doesn't blink when hooked up to a full reservoir later.)

But it was blinking like it seemed like it should with the reservoir unhooked.

I think I somehow messed up the control unit (looks much like a relay).

This is the basic wiring diagram I had used to hook it up initially. I couldn't remember if I had the wire from the relay going to the positive or negative side of the LED with the other side hooked to the constant.

Turns out the "relay" does provide the ground for the LED and the positive side of the LED should be hooked up so that it has constant power.

I wish I could hook up a buzzer or something, but it isn't truly a relay and I killed one by trying that one time before. Maybe it could also trigger a true relay, which could control the noise maker.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Dropping the duckets and making it happen, kuttos!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! And yup, getting ready to head back out there. I started with a little bit of a lazy morning browsing The Samba and then taking the dog for a walk. Had to get that in before the fireworks start back up, because he'll refuse to go out until after that nonsense ends late in the evening.

Finishing breakfast and heading back out. Though I already started a little work of moving some bits over to the new head while it was cooking.

The seat foam didn't dry as much as I'd hoped it would, and rain is predicted off and on through today and tomorrow, so I moved it into the shed last night, and turned on a heater this morning hoping to evaporate some of that water out.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Now this is a thing of beauty!

I believe it is ready to set on the block. I'm always a little nervous at this part, but as I told my girl, I think that is a little bit healthy! Being a little nervous helps keep me from getting complacent.

I did note that with both camshafts set at TDC, they both have two valves partially open. But on the old head, one valve is open a little more than the other, and more than either of the open valves on the new head.

I don't know for sure if that could be indicative of an impending problem, but possibly it is turning out that the whole thing happening when it did can be a positive in relation to my upcoming trip! Hard to say, trying to be optimistic. Smile

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

It runs it runs it runs!!!

I started it up and let it run for probably close to 2 hours as I checked over things, looking for leaks and such. I probably wouldn't have let it run so long, but I was trying to set the turn-on temp of my fan controller.

The low-coolant blinky LED works, IE it doesn't blink when plugged in, and does blink when the harness is unplugged at the tank (simulating a low-coolant condition). There is a minor issue in that it won't reset unless I remove and reinstall the relay. I believe this is because I have the control unit connected to an always hot fuse instead of a key-on circuit.

That is very minor for now, though.

Also, I finally fixed the engine lid prop! I'm silly excited about that! The plastic block broke years ago, so I just took the spring-rod off and used a bungee cord on the upper hatch arm to hold it up.

I finally got a new block from Bus Depot a few days ago, but couldn't find the spring-rod that night. Found it tonight, under an old turbo! ha ha

Its the little things.

Also while letting it sit there, it was raining and the window fogged up. I noticed something on the windshield.

My good friend and I like to take our kids camping in the Bus every once in a while. His 7 year old sleeps on the front cot.

I noticed Zach's name written in the fog on the windshield. Aww

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
It runs it runs it runs!!!

Sweet

Quote:
I noticed Zach's name written in the fog on the windshield. Aww

We all leave a signature one way or the other. That's cool.

Glad you got it sorted
Tcash
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Now this is a thing of beauty!

is that a URO brand coolant neck? if so, get it outta there, ASAP. they are junk, plain and simple.

when I was at the dealer, worldpac offered a "new, lo cost alternative" line...made by URO...it's so cheep they couldn't spend the $$ to spell it euro...

at any rate, after the 3rd coolant jug exploded on a lady's 08 S60, the boss didn't get lucky that time, as the customer was pissed and DROVE IT 23 miles with no coolant in it.....him saving 15.00 over the dealer jug cost him 3,500 and a week of my time for a new engine, radiator, heater core etc...

just trying to save you from yourself. in a forum I subscribe to, 99% of us use dealer parts. the aftermarket has gotten too sketchy for us.

those URO housings are pure junk. and not for nothing, I love these "swappers" who bitch about poor quality on the vw aftermarket for T1/T4 yet refuse to go to the dealer for the correct part.

I may be getting kicked out of a Subaru conversion forum for railing a guy that bought a 100.00 t belt kit from ebay and the tensioner failed in 70 miles and wiped out his heads....

I just can't believe that when the dealer/OEM parts are there folks still want to go the cheep route. not bagging you, as it may not even be a URO part, (looks it from here though) and if it is, you may just not know better, that's why I am sticking my nose in here...

you can read about all the damage URO has caused here:

https://www.google.com/#q=URO+parts+junk

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I did get the low coolant level blinky light to work again. (I guess I'll have to verify that it doesn't blink when hooked up to a full reservoir later.)

But it was blinking like it seemed like it should with the reservoir unhooked.

I think I somehow messed up the control unit (looks much like a relay).

This is the basic wiring diagram I had used to hook it up initially. I couldn't remember if I had the wire from the relay going to the positive or negative side of the LED with the other side hooked to the constant.

Turns out the "relay" does provide the ground for the LED and the positive side of the LED should be hooked up so that it has constant power.

I wish I could hook up a buzzer or something, but it isn't truly a relay and I killed one by trying that one time before. Maybe it could also trigger a true relay, which could control the noise maker.

Thanks for the tip. Will be adding that to mine ASAP

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I may be getting kicked out of a Subaru conversion forum for railing a guy that bought a 100.00 t belt kit from ebay and the tensioner failed in 70 miles and wiped out his heads....

So I bought an ebay T-belt/water pump kit. Not the $100 one but less than the dealer $500 pump. Had an Aisin water pump (OEM I think?) and way to check the quality or the tensioner or would you just get a dealer one to be safe?
What conversion forum was this in. Love to read it (for research purpose only Wink )
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

You know, it actually is a URO part. I ordered it from Carquest, which for the most part usually sells me the good quality brands. I did question URO when it came (I agree, the name alone makes it suspicious!), but it was the one I had on hand and available. Glad to hear that there was reason to be suspicious of it, or to have the confirmation.

I will order the good quality stuff and swap it out soon. For the moment, that one is better than the one that had a small crack somewhere and was weeping coolant.

Now I need to figure out what I did wrong with my windshield wipers!

I freshened them up per Colin's instructions, but they are binding somehow. I didn't think to test them before installing. Now when I turn them on, it draws a bunch of power trying to move and then the fuse pops. I could hear the alternator working harder when I tried to switch them on last night.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

So the Bus did great on the trip, covering 693 miles. No problems at all.

I had a really good time with the guys caving in Oklahoma at Alabaster Caverns State Park. It was certainly something I haven't done before.

With the smaller scoop, the engine got a touch hot while driving down but the ambient temps were 105 outside that day, so I am more or less satisfied that the engine temps were up to about 205 but dropped when I slowed down just a little.

In ambient temps closer to 95, the engine ran around 195ish. So, again, just about 100 over ambient all around. I think this is pretty acceptable all around, though I may still switch back to the larger scoop.

Here are a few pics from the trip:

Stopped in Medicine Lodge Kansas. Just behind the building is Carrie Nation's house (she is somewhat famous for chopping down bars with an ax).

We cooked the first meals on the exhaust system. Hamburger, potatoes, carrots, onions in foil packets. I guess diesel exhaust doesn't get quite as hot as T4 exhaust! Mine wasn't quite done... But still tasted pretty good!

On the way there, we decided to explore this abandoned bridge near Freedom, Oklahoma. There were no signs on this end of the bridge.

But this is what we found on the other end!

It's important to take a shower every day! But the park charged $1.50 for 3 minutes. So we built our own.

After the caving portion of the trip, I decided to head to Cheney State Park in Kansas as I worked my way home. Here is where I stayed last night.

This is why I wanted to do the conversion! Cruise was set when the pic was taken.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Cool shit right here Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Nailed it Cool

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

The gauges are EGT measured before the turbo, Coolant, and RPM.

The red light is what blinks if I lose coolant, the green one turns on when the fan is on as an FYI.

The coolant gauge isn't totally accurate as far as what it is actually saying. However, it is consistent as far as where the needle is for a given temperature. So, if the engine is at 188, the needle will be about a needle-width to the left of the 180 mark. If the needle is to the right of the 180 mark but still touching it, that is just over 200 degrees. So I figure as long as the needle never gets to the point that the needle isn't touching the 180 mark to the right, then it is good to go. If I blacked out the numbers and regarded the top middle number as the high point of normal, then I could say it was completely "accurate."

The speedometer, however, is right on. Very Happy It was always actually reading a little high with the factory tires. With the larger tires, it reads just about perfect.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Excellent, Dave! Damn, that bus has come a long way. it's awesome to see you enjoying how you intended after all that hard work. It gives me hope Laughing
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

My average fuel economy calculates out to 26.06 MPGs.

The weird thing was individual tanks seemed to vary somewhat wildly. IE, I had a couple tanks that were close to 30 MPG, and a couple close to 20, and one 25. I'm not completely sure of the explanation for this.

It was very windy for most of the time driving. Looking at the fuel records and where I stopped each time in relation to the MPGs, it almost seems that I was possibly most affected by side winds vs head or tail winds.

During the times in the side winds, I was not going as fast (60-65 because I was becoming uncomfortable with the heat, this kept it in check), so potentially the RPMS were a little low vs the power band and that was a contributing factor.

Or since they were different fuel stations each time, it could simply have been a matter of some having crappy old diesel fuel and some having good fuel.

The other piece is that the fuel gauge decided to stop working, so I was filling up a little earlier than I needed to otherwise, just to make sure I would not run out.

But the best part is the Bus was always able to maintain my requested speed, no matter which way the wind was blowing or whether or not there was a hill!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Excellent, Dave! Damn, that bus has come a long way. it's awesome to see you enjoying how you intended after all that hard work. It gives me hope Laughing

Thank you! I think I am going to try to take a short break from Bus projects for a little while (ha ha, we'll see how that goes!) but now I hope to be able to focus mainly on things to make it a little nicer still.

For example: The sides of the pop top was painted a long time ago by a PO but that is flaking off and the top of it, which was never painted, is getting a little straggly. The rubber seals are gone. The canvas is still usable, but there is a rip on one side (taped closed with Gorilla tape). The screen is getting some holes in it.

So I plan to paint the pop top according to threads here on The Samba, install my new cool reflective Westfalia stickers, rubber seals, and decide what to do with the fabric-whether to patch the holes a little more properly, or replace it.

I'll also work on improving the intercooler radiator (the scoop I made may have helped only a little bit, so by "improving" I really mean "replace with a larger one" I think).

And maybe, just maybe, I can start making plans to get the air conditioning working!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

The bus looks sweet!

Your EGT looks nice. 950*F at 80 MPH is better than I see. I've heard lots of opinions on safe EGT, personally I try not to go about 1050 on a sustained basis. That's about what I would see going 80 on flat or 70-something up a medium hill. Usually I'm going low 70's and not trying to set bus speed records Smile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

markd89 wrote:
The bus looks sweet!

Your EGT looks nice. 950*F at 80 MPH is better than I see. I've heard lots of opinions on safe EGT, personally I try not to go about 1050 on a sustained basis. That's about what I would see going 80 on flat or 70-something up a medium hill. Usually I'm going low 70's and not trying to set bus speed records Smile

Thanks, yes I think I'm pretty happy with that. I think I was told that 1450 for a few seconds was the upper maximum. I tried to force it up at one point on the trip and got it to 1250.

Most of the time it was anywhere between 850 and 1050. When I was fighting wind at the side and going up and down hills, it'd get up to 1050 for a while and then tick back down.

Do you ever look at your intake temps? What sort of intercooler do you have?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 39

Jump to: