Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone can identify this carb linkage?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm rebuilding a Okrasa engine (I know, it's stuff for Vintage speed) and I wondered if anyone of you Porsche guys has ever seen my linkage. I know that Porsche used similar working linkages and I ask myself what you think about it...
In my opinion, it doesn't look very home made; there are bronze bearings and some things are different, if you just want to make an own linkage in your hobby garage Very Happy
The "arms" are bented to fit on the 36hp fan shroud

Regards, Jan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Jan......definately not factory 356 or 912
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

It's homemade. The guy knew how to braze and he was a Machanist (that's why the bronze bushings). Looks like good work but if a company made them to sell it would be plated or at least painted. Its modeled after the Porsche but has the center pull arm for VW, while a Porsche is 3/4 the way to one side.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Thanks for your information. I sandblasted it, that's why there's no paint or powder anymore on...

Did you see Porsche linkages with this style and the center pull arm not in the middle? Is it possible that the guys took a Porsche linkage and used a VW pull arm to use this linkage on a Okrasa engine?

Thanks, Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Your linkage runs across the generator side of the shroud. Porsche linkage is always on the firewall side. What you have looks very unique and purpose built for your Okrasa kit. It is not a modified Porsche linkage.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

I put a pic of 356 linkage in the Gallery. You will see it's modeled after Porsche but homemade for VW.

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Seems like I have to accept it is homemade Very Happy

Thought that there're various linkages and I'm not the Porsche expert...
On the picture with the fan shroud I just held it in front of the generator, but it can be bolted on the other side.

Jan
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

I put a 356 S90 in my 78 VW Convertible and drilled and tapped a ball socket for a set screw, shortened the throttle linkage and snapped it on after the motor was in, worked great and was scary fast.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Perhaps not home made but part of a kit. There's a guy who posts here and calls himself " Mr. Okrasa ". Maybe he will chime in. Look for him in vintage parts...
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone can identify this carb linkage? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I wrote with Joe already but he couldn't help. He was the first who was asked, because he has a lot of knowledge and experinence with that, in my opinion.

@starbucket: I don't want to image how fast that was Shocked Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: