Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keeping my top down?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

I have the top down for the summer, here in West Texas. This being Texas, yesterday was over 100, today will be over 100, and tomorrow will be over 100, and so on for the next couple months.

Do I need to worry about the vinyl top on my car being ruined if I have it down and sitting out in the sun all day? I have it folded and tucked into the frame according to the Thing Shop video. Should I put the top up every so often?
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

I have an original VW brand top which I purchased in 1983.
I leave the top down all Summer (unless I get caught in the rain), so I might put the top up 2 or 3 times a year. (I hope I don't need to put the top up for the drive to Kubel Treffen East!)
I do keep the Thing in my garage, so it's not exposed to the weather.
There have been no adverse effects over the last 30+ years.

If my car spent a lot of time baking in the hot Texas sun, I would consider one of those Thing Shop boot covers which keeps the folded top out of the direct sun.

Lots of Southerners come to the Kubel Treffens, and I've noticed that most of them keep their tops up full time so they can be in the shade. I just wear a cap.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

I have noticed the folds tend to encourage dirty stripes on lighter colored tops that can be really hard to clean. I've also been warned that they can shrink over time and be really hard to latch, but I've never had that problem with any of mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

My top stays down at least 6 months a year.

The key is when you put it up (I tend to have to put it up around Halloween in the Bay Area) is to pick a somewhat sunny day and put it up with the back hooks attached and side curtains on and let the material relax and stretch over the afternoon before you latch it. It you force it then most likely you will tear a seam.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

The top may well last longer being out of the sun, while your upholstery will likely suffer from being in the sun.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

I have a boot cover and couldn't be happier. Keeps the from flapping in the wind as well as protect the top from ultraviolet light. Top goes up only if it rains.

As a side note: I fold the sides in and "roll" my top like a burrito rather than fold it. This keeps from putting repetitive creases in the material and weakling it (think like folding and creasing a piece of paper over and over again). Everything then tucks under the boot. No hold down straps, boot does all the work.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I have an original VW brand top which I purchased in 1983.
I leave the top down all Summer (unless I get caught in the rain), so I might put the top up 2 or 3 times a year. (I hope I don't need to put the top up for the drive to Kubel Treffen East!)
I do keep the Thing in my garage, so it's not exposed to the weather.
There have been no adverse effects over the last 30+ years.

If my car spent a lot of time baking in the hot Texas sun, I would consider one of those Thing Shop boot covers which keeps the folded top out of the direct sun.

Lots of Southerners come to the Kubel Treffens, and I've noticed that most of them keep their tops up full time so they can be in the shade. I just wear a cap.

Good luck, Mondshine

LOL Mondshine (top down & just wearing the cap)
but, He does do that!

If I did top down all the time, even with a cap, I'd look like Dr. Zoidberg on Futurama! aka a lobster.

Remember the sun's more direct the further South you go! Very Happy and in Texas, it's pretty much direct. I once bought a pair of sunglasses in Tx, got back to Richmond Va and bout wrecked my car cause they were so dark!
They WERE some "cheap sun-glasses"!

But I agree, I'd get a top cover to protect the convertible top it while down.

PS: if you have cats, with the top down it's a "cat attracter" I've had 4 or 5 in mine one time I brought it home, they were all in it chillin!

Also Mondshine's that cover he puts on his THING (no roll bar) for covering the interior while the top's down. It's a nice cover. Wish they made one to incorporate the roll bar. They have a add on the Samba somewhere.

anyways, till next time!

T

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping my top down? Reply with quote

I went ahead and put my top back up for a while. That sun made the black seats kinda hot!
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: