Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Karmann Ghia restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled the pan out yesterday, ive had it leaning against my shop wall for over a year now. this is the original 60 matched pan for the body. ALL original steel, pan halfs have not been replaced. it amazes the hell out of me it survived--ahh--the high desert. been blasted and powder coated, ready for another 55 yrs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shop dog is supervising
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shop dog thinks its starting to look like a fun go-cart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pan looks amazing! Dry desert air...wish we had some of that around here. Love the two tone too by the way, can't wait to see it all come together.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

pan is built, most of it is new, disc conversion up front, new drums and shoes out back. new brake lines etc etc. time to start getting the motor built now. this mechanical work is so much more fun than body work-ha

mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Motor is ready to go, test fit the carbs (40 hpmx) which im glad i did while the motor was out, tin took some massaging to make them fit. out of like 20 VW's i have owned, i finally have the motor ive always wanted since my first bug in '88. for some strange reason i have always wanted a dual carb 1776 motor, call me crazy-ha.

also have Bob at wire works building me a 60 harne$$ for the car. its such a rare year even Bob has educated guestimates on lengths, he has never received a complete harness to copy for a 60.

body should be going on pan very soon
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Pan looks terrific, what size is your motor ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

the eagle has landed, or my wife is really strong

its the first time this car has looked like a car in over a decade, 1.5 yrs into me taking on the project. and i now have more room in my shop since 2 cars worth space became 1
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Awesome!
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Looking awesome. Did you use base coat/clear coat or single stage for your paint?
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
Looking awesome. Did you use base coat/clear coat or single stage for your paint?

I used single stage, figure it period correct and easier to paint in various stages like I did
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Cool. I'm seriously considering single stage for mine. What brand was it and what did you mix with it?

Thanks.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Ive been using those same tire dollys for years Cool Car is looking great and she is STRONG
Gerald dupraux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Hello
Very nice job ! Mango are beautyfull !!
Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

You're soon going to have a Ghia that's better than when it was new. Well done and well deserved.

Great colour too. What is it?

Your wife sure is strong! I needed my wife, both sons and their wives to help me lift my Ghia's body onto the pan. Wimps we are down here.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
Cool. I'm seriously considering single stage for mine. What brand was it and what did you mix with it?

Thanks.

i actually used Sherwin Williams paint for this i have always used PPG in the past, but they had no formula for Mango Green any longer, which is weird since a painted a split window kombi mango with PPG probably 15 yrs ago (yes, i have a thing for mango green). Sherwin Williams had a formula. i can honestly say, i really like how it sprayed, i might be a SW convert from PPG. i used all SW reducer and hardener with the paint (probably not advisable to mix brands)

my wife and i did have an extra helper (as seen in the background) but with the 110volt hoist in the rafter i use for my truck topper, it was super simple and no issues, body just dropped right into place and lined up perfectly. she operated the hoist, just holding the body steady while i wheeled the chassis under, i thought it was a funny photo op
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:

Thanks.

i actually used Sherwin Williams paint for this i have always used PPG in the past, but they had no formula for Mango Green any longer, which is weird since a painted a split window kombi mango with PPG probably 15 yrs ago (yes, i have a thing for mango green). Sherwin Williams had a formula. i can honestly say, i really like how it sprayed, i might be a SW convert from PPG. i used all SW reducer and hardener with the paint (probably not advisable to mix brands)

my wife and i did have an extra helper (as seen in the background) but with the 110volt hoist in the rafter i use for my truck topper, it was super simple and no issues, body just dropped right into place and lined up perfectly. she operated the hoist, just holding the body steady while i wheeled the chassis under, i thought it was a funny photo op
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Ive been using those same tire dollys for years Cool Car is looking great and she is STRONG

Funny, me as well. They are strong and cheap, great for moving engines around as well.

Looks great and, yeah that's a pretty funny picture of your wife lifting the body. Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

ive taken a HUGE hiatus from this project, i think like 5 months. been doing a lot of home renovation projects instead (not my favorite), and since im slef employed--gotta make hay when the sun shines. But Bob at wiring works got my harness done, took him a long time since he doesnt have schematics for a 60 and he did it in his spare time. must say though--lit appears he did a fantastic job. so, i took some time and pulled the wire through the conduit. might have to start hooking stuff up and take her for a spin

mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

wow, it has been almost a year since i last posted--holy c**p. house renovations and busy work schedule did keep me from doing anything for a long time, but have been bustin my a$$ this spring and it is coming along

finally hooked up bob/wiring works 60 harness, almost everything came out perfect

and the dash started to come together at the same time. i waited 1.5 yrs for the flat four banjo steering wheel to be available--had to test fit it

so this car had its bumpers straightened and rechromed 11 yrs ago when it was taken apart by the now defunct Denver bumper. still in its wrapping. one of the reasons i picked up this abandoned project--things like bumpers already rechromed

sadly one towel bar wasnt quite straight enough, and one was still missing, so i went with the Euro look that i was trying to talk myself out of since i had nice shiney chrome, but i really like the clean euro look (still have everything if i want to go with over riders in the future.)

and since i now have POWER, might as well get the motor ready to go. i ran it off an IV bottle and it fired up first try. set the cam and tuned the carbs--its ready to go when i bleed the brakes. i fought myself hard not to sit on a bucket and ride it around

WELL, guess its time to start the interior so i dont have to sit on a bucket, headliner went it with out a hitch really (i do upholstery as one of my sources of income)

and figured i better get the windows in to hold it in place. on the hottest day of the year so far--ugh. sweat bullits doing this job. oh yeah, i prefer the cal look, I do have the trim if i change my mind later though. didnt sound fun installing the trim either

so there is my late progress report, hope i can keep the momentum going. mostly just carpet (ordered) and upholstery now--which is my forte along with mechanical stuff (moto restorations). maybe ill have it on the road yet this year
Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

She is looking beautiful! Keep up the hard work. We're rooting for you to get her on the road ASAP. I'm also gaining inspiration with your posts. I'm expecting my '60 vert back from the paint shop any day now. Gunna need some gumption for the assembly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: