Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
No more canvas canopy?

The hoops and canvas are in a safe spot-- uses the same attachment points as the cover Exclamation Wink Easily interchangeable.

The bed cover is nice for summer-- makes the rear safari more useable.

I am going to use it again in the winter--- probably with sunbrella fabric this time.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

What no waterfall pics?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I need to put them on a different image hosting site....
Can't put them on thesamba ? What category would that be? Confused
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got the truck ready for the BIG SHOW in Shoreline tomorrow... Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mechanicjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Got the truck ready for the BIG SHOW in Shoreline tomorrow... Cool

Awesome. I can't wait to see it there tomorrow!
2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ - The wife and kid mobile.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Show was fun! -Always good to see other Type 3 guys and gals--- the Notchbacks won first through third Very Happy

As usual, the truck confused some and made most smile Cool

Messing around today with tire ideas---

Here's the new brakes and calipers by the way...

And some knobby tires-- suspension up a couple of inches:

Just an idea-- these tire fit front and rear (I have four) -- A mild raise and paint 'em black would be pretty cool. Maybe this winter--- when I put the canopy and hoops back on Idea
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Those work well on your truck. I like 'em!!

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I put air in all four of the knobby/off-road tires and will see if they hold air Smile
If they seem OK- I will clean up the wheels and paint them black Exclamation

Today- I did a bit of tuning. These Webers are just OK-- they are pretty simple but no electric choke and the throttle shafts are a bit loose. The return spring on the passenger side needs to be replaced--- not quite as tight on the return-- I think a stronger spring would help the idle Question

Gotta think about a bigger balance tube and looks like some weeping oil at the cooler...
SamSmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Dave, got back from submarine deployment a few weeks ago and Im slowly catching up on all the cars and builds I follow across the internet, and your truck was one of the top on the list for me to check. Excellent progress, I am glad you still have the truck and are still posting! The black paint looks great, especially for the DIY level. It really does look good in the pictures. A little elbow grease with some compound wax and you should be able to get the black really shiny. Hope all is well
Sam
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I had to visit this thread because I have a strange interest in this custom rig:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1926671

It's about an hour and a half from my home- and the hard work has been done. If this one had as much integrated bodywork as yours- it would be hard to refuse. This thread is truly inspirational- well done!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I had to visit this thread because I have a strange interest in this custom rig:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1926671

It's about an hour and a half from my home- and the hard work has been done. If this one had as much integrated bodywork as yours- it would be hard to refuse. This thread is truly inspirational- well done!

This thread is the reason I got those vehicles. His work is very inspirational indeed!

My plan was to take the next several years and build the truck with my son. Unfortunately life had other plans. Crying or Very sad I'm still hoping something will change and I can somehow continue with the project, but that looks unlikely. Sooo...get a hold of me and come get yourself a fun project. Wink
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

It would be great to see the Idaho '64 Truck restored Exclamation It is similar to mine in many important ways and would not be too hard to bring back.

The body looks better as a starting point-- not as much welding required. The cab could be reworked if desired. If I were doing it, I would use a small window bus rear hatch.

Off Topic:
Family connections to Idaho:
I lived in Moscow for many years
My great grandfather was mayor of Donnelly
My daughter just started school at U of I
I shot graduation photos at Meridian for several years (all through-out the Treasure Valley) Rolling Eyes
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

SamSmith wrote:
Dave, got back from submarine deployment a few weeks ago and Im slowly catching up on all the cars and builds I follow across the internet, and your truck was one of the top on the list for me to check. Excellent progress, I am glad you still have the truck and are still posting! The black paint looks great, especially for the DIY level. It really does look good in the pictures. A little elbow grease with some compound wax and you should be able to get the black really shiny. Hope all is well
Sam

Hey Sam -
Welcome back to dry land! We also live in a Navy town (the Stennis just returned to port) and many of my students are Navy "brats". I remember when we talked a few years ago and it's good to hear from you Very Happy

-Dave
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
It would be great to see the Idaho '64 Truck restored Exclamation It is similar to mine in many important ways and would not be too hard to bring back.

The body looks better as a starting point-- not as much welding required. The cab could be reworked if desired. If I were doing it, I would use a small window bus rear hatch.

Off Topic:
I shot graduation photos at Meridian for several years (all through-out the Treasure Valley) Rolling Eyes

Unbelievable! Born in Moscow (67), daughter is getting Mtn. View HS(Meridian) Senior pics done Tuesday and my best friend's daughter just started at U of I too- drove up yesterday! Cool

Great to see you in here Max- I do hope if I don't get crazy and add to my hoard, someone else will and fulfill your dream of seeing that '64 truck done.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
dc wrote:

Off Topic:

Unbelievable! Born in Moscow (67), daughter is getting Mtn. View HS(Meridian) Senior pics done Tuesday and my best friend's daughter just started at U of I too- drove up yesterday! Cool

Great to see you in here Max- I do hope if I don't get crazy and add to my hoard, someone else will and fulfill your dream of seeing that '64 truck done.

Small world and all that! dc, when was your great grandfather the mayor? When were you snapping pics? I've lived in Idaho since '81. Boise area then moved up here in '08. Love it up here.

hitest, you coulda popped in and at least checked it out. If nothing else but to shoot the VW shit. I'm sure you were busy with the college trip. Cool tie ins guys! Razz
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
hitest wrote:
dc wrote:

Off Topic:

Small world and all that! dc, when was your great grandfather the mayor? When were you snapping pics? I've lived in Idaho since '81. Boise area then moved up here in '08. Love it up here.

hitest, you coulda popped in and at least checked it out. If nothing else but to shoot the VW shit. I'm sure you were busy with the college trip. Cool tie ins guys! Razz

Whoops-- Got Donnelly mixed up with Downey - way down in Bannock County... Embarassed He was the Downey mayor back sometime between 1910 and 1919.

I should know better-- I had to drive through Donnelly and Cascade, etc. driving from Moscow to Boise every summer to take graduation photos in June!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Latest project--

Gonna restore the bed. Plans call for sanding down bad spots and treating with Rust Bullet, paint it all black and put in a wood deck/floor.

The wood floor will be carefully modeled after the Panel Van design found in the Australian vehicles - 18" hinge for the engine lid - metal load rails, etc.

Here's all the further I got today--- trimmed the main piece (all one piece) out of exterior/marine grade 1/2" plywood. The lid will need to be 1/4" otherwise it would sit a bit high. Just a test fit today. Very Happy

Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

here are some panelvan floor pics you may not have seen....

and this is my floor under construction......
i got the plywood a couple of months ago but havent made a start yet .....

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Fantastic!
I scoured the Panel Van thread and saw a lot of pictures but not the last one that on just shared Wink

I think I have a handle on most of the critical measurements-- I'm not going to have the folding part for the rear seat since its a truck, but everything thing else I hope to make close...as if VW did it!

Question--- How does the metal engine lid attach to the wood part? And-- does the metal lid still have the tabs on the rear part or are they gone to make it swing easier with just the hinge?
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Hi dc,

in answer to your questions.......
1. the zinc wear strips are screwed to the plywood and also to the engine lid.
so the screw goes through the strip the plywood and the metal lid.

and 2. there are no tabs on the engine lid to fit into the slots.
so the hinge and the locking clips keep it all together.

heres a couple of pics to show you what i mean...

hope this helps...
cheers Peter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 69 of 84

Jump to: