Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear seat measurements help please
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bil_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

Hi! I have a 66 ghia coupe. We'll im trying to redo my rear seats as my car didn't come with any. A friend of mine gave me some original seats but turns out they're for a vert. My plan is just to make some new boards and the whole seat. My question is, as i can't find any solid or definitive measurements anywhere on the web or even here (tho i just may be not looking in the right spots), what are the exact measurements of the original boards for the rear seats for a coupe and can i use the vert boards as a base to start? Tho the width is short on the vert, is the height the same as the coupe for both bottom and top of the seat? Any help world be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

William

1966 Karmann Ghia coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

I don't have the exact dimensions you're asking for right now, but here's a picture of my '66 rear seat frames before they got recovered. Hope this goes some way to helping.

While the back piece is pretty much a rectangle, the base is the one you're going to struggle with as there's all kinds of chamfering on certain edges. Perhaps these are on your vert seats and you can use them as a guide.

I can take more pictures if you like when I get home.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

Karmann Ghia Parts and Restoration makes the replacement wooden pieces if you don't want to make them yourself.
Bil_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

Very interesting. I didn't expect the bottom to have cutout on the sides like that. Is that to go around the wheelwells and if so then does that seat cover the whole expanse of the back area? Seems i have to do some more research. Here's a photo of my back seat area where it seemed to me a board would fit in the space provided.

1966 Karmann Ghia coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

You are welcome to make a pattern for yourself off of my rear seat if you cant find dimensions.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

Take a look at this thread for some better pictures of the frame in place...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4022183

The overall dimensions should speak for themselves with the size of the recess. Just allow a little extra room for the covering fabric to eventually wrap around. Over time there have been changes to the heater ducting under the rear seat which is why the corners are cut like they are. The metal support strap over the tunnel is crucial to give the base frame some rigidity. I also made two extra wedge shaped wooden support blocks that sit on the lip where the outboard body to pan mounts are (just inboard of the heater ducts).

A cardboard template is always a good idea before committing your dimensions to wood. A quick fold down the centreline of a soft template also makes sure things are the same on both sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bil_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you so much! That's exactly what ive been looking for!! Knowing exact specs and details gives me the impetus to move forward and make it!! Thanks so much! Ill let you all know how i do!

1966 Karmann Ghia coupe
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

I've had a go at some dimensions for you Bil_e.

A little tricky with the upholstery on but it should give you a good starting point.

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bil_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat measurements help please Reply with quote

Thank you so much! This is very very helpful! I haven't started on this project yet, been quite busy, but im excited to get a back seat in. Gonna start on it this week. Ill show pics of what ive done when i get going!

1966 Karmann Ghia coupe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: