Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

I had a bit of time so I replaced the front bearings on Peanut. (was so bad I couldn't turn the stereo up load enough to hear it over the drone). I also ordered front BJs 'cuz I had a clunk up front. Turn out it was the lower control arm front bushing, all beat to snot.

So, I want to do a bit of suspension work to it now. Bushings , obviously, but I would also like some input on what others have done in the way of springs and shocks, as well as sway bar kits.

What I am looking for is:
-only slightly lowered (40mm)
-not super harsh ride ( HR more than Eibach)
- little to no body roll
-proper kit (no floppy springs when lifted on a hoist.

Thanks, Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
corrado53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: suspension choice Reply with quote

I've had good luck with these. Not sure if they meet all of your criterion.I have a set and they are not harsh, and provide excellent handling. They cant't be beat for the money.

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/vw-coilover-kits/volkswagen-golf-mk1-coilover-kit.html
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension choice Reply with quote

corrado53 wrote:
I've had good luck with these. Not sure if they meet all of your criterion.I have a set and they are not harsh, and provide excellent handling. They cant't be beat for the money.

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/vw-coilover-kits/volkswagen-golf-mk1-coilover-kit.html

These sound like a great deal...you're happy with them, what are you running them on? I'm guessing a Corrado, but user names can be misleading. Hopefully it's on a mark1 because of being so light they can become harsh when sprung stiffly.

Gordo.

corrado53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: supension Reply with quote

I run these on my scirocco 16v, not quite as light as a mk 1 gti, they were a little harsh when new but settled in nice. They also have a 2 year warranty and are rebuildable. Working on getting a set for my Corrado. Also check on ebay motors for more options.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven ones with the KW coil over set up and it was way too harsh...shake your filling out harsh.

I like the dual spring set up of the ones you've shown me because they should hold in on the perches while hanging.

now I just have to find out if they ship to canada.

thanks for your help. gordo.

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.neuspeed.com/21/2/0/0/suspension-chassis.html

I ran Neuspeed on on both my Mk1 and Mk2s, great stuff that didn't fuck up the car,
and lasted with no issues past 100,000 miles of use.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corrado53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: suspension choice Reply with quote

One old trick with coilovers is to not run sway bars. That softened it up a bit. When lower, coilovers have to be stiff to work with reduced suspension travel
,to keep from bottoming out. I run bump stops from a 1.8t passat.They are called supplemental springs. Set bumpstop height to prevent bottoming.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

Okay, I am revisiting this topic again (car has not been used much for the last while, but now am driving it daily).
My suspension is now completely sacked out and I need to do something about it soon.
I have been looking at the H&R Sport Cup Kit. It is lowering springs and shock matched combination. It lowers the car 1.25" and still has a more comfortable ride than what most coil-overs offer. Which is what I am after.
My commute to work has a lovely piece of tasty road that I like to attack, but also has some of those horrible traffic calming speed bump mounds. So I don't want to be too low or stiff, but still be able to drive spirited without feeling spongy.

Does anyone have experience with H&R Cup Kits?

Gordo.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

Bilstein HDs or sports with eibach springs, or cut 1 1/2 coils off the original springs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's mine with Bilstein sports, cut factory springs, GTI vented front brakes & front & rear swaybars, mk3 rear drums & '84 Jetta steelies (1" wider with GTI offset). & a 2003 TDI mated to a 96 Passat TDI trans for shits & giggles.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

This combination makes the car a lot of fun to drive & the suspension it quite compliant. Even with the suspension being relatively stock, the flexibility of the mk1 chassis is VERY apparent. Door gaps open & close as you toss the car into corners or drive onto transitions into parking lots.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
I've driven ones with the KW coil over set up and it was way too harsh...shake your filling out harsh.

I like the dual spring set up of the ones you've shown me because they should hold in on the perches while hanging.

now I just have to find out if they ship to canada.

thanks for your help. gordo.

I have KW coilovers on my GTI and it's the best suspension I've had yet. You sure there was enough travel and were they adjustable? Otherwise, I've ridden in other people rabbits (virtually any variation of mk1 models) that were on Racelands and they are horrible. You get what you pay for = cheap shit. I had Bilsteins and Eibachs on a previous car. They were ok. The Bilsteins are really stiff and KYBs were a little softer. I've heard good things about HR and ST coilovers though.

TDCTDI wrote:
This combination makes the car a lot of fun to drive & the suspension it quite compliant. Even with the suspension being relatively stock, the flexibility of the mk1 chassis is VERY apparent. Door gaps open & close as you toss the car into corners or drive onto transitions into parking lots.

that can be pretty well mitigated with a good assortment of upper and lower stress bars in the front and a stress bar in the back. I have the Neuspeed gear on mine and it stiffened it right up. I also have a larger diameter sway bar on the GTI and my caddy.

Last edited by veedubman72 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

I've got upper & lower front stress bars. The 4 door car is missing a lot of the triangulation that the caddy & coupes have. I had a Bilstein cup kit on a GTI once, one of the best handling little bastards I've had.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The 4 door car is missing a lot of the triangulation that the caddy & coupes have.

very true
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubman72 wrote:

I have KW coilovers on my GTI and it's the best suspension I've had yet. You sure there was enough travel and were they adjustable? Otherwise, I've ridden in other people rabbits (virtually any variation of mk1 models) that were on Racelands and they are horrible. You get what you pay for = cheap shit. I had Bilsteins and Eibachs on a previous car. They were ok. The Bilsteins are really stiff and KYBs were a little softer. I've heard good things about HR and ST coilovers though.

There has been a lot of changes to the KW company in the last few years, some purchases and buy outs of other suspension companies. I believe they are now the parent company of the US based Suspension Techniques, (ST).
I have heard good things about ST coil overs as they are designed and built for North American roadways and spec cars.

Any thoughts or experience with ST?

Gordo.

veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

No real experience with them, but I haven't heard a single negative comment about them on other forums like vortex or some of the euro car forums.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I think I am going to go with the H&R Sport Cup Kit. It claims a 1.5" drop. Which is fine with me, I'm looking to scrape my belly , just handle better. I know how they ride, smooth yet firm progressive springs. Then I will add heavier sway bars front and rear to help flatten out my turns. I think this will be a good combination for my daily commute on a twisty bit of road, which I love to attack every chance I get.

I will let you know how it all goes and what it handles and feels like.

Gordo.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

The only issue with lowering a mkI is that they already have a limited amount of suspension travel, and by dropping it 1.5", you are eliminating approx 50% of compression travel and risk hitting bump stops on even moderate bumps. It might look good, but the trade-off is not worth it, IMHO. For street use, I prefer a firmer stock height spring with maybe a step firmer strut/shock if roads allow. Then you can install a heavier sway bar to tune cornering as needed. I always liked a bigger rear bar w/ a stock or no front bar.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
The only issue with lowering a mkI is that they already have a limited amount of suspension travel, and by dropping it 1.5", you are eliminating approx 50% of compression travel and risk hitting bump stops on even moderate bumps. It might look good, but the trade-off is not worth it, IMHO. For street use, I prefer a firmer stock height spring with maybe a step firmer strut/shock if roads allow. Then you can install a heavier sway bar to tune cornering as needed. I always liked a bigger rear bar w/ a stock or no front bar.

True about limiting the upward travel of the suspension, however, at the same time the downward travel has been increased. Most bumps can be avoided as they tend to stand out. Holes, such as potholes don't.
I spoke with PG performance in Vancouver about the H&R Cup kit and he said they have sold quite a few and have no complaints about bottoming, scraping or tire rub. He also stated that the cup kits give a very good ride with only a 1.25" drop.
I just replaced my fr. ball joints and the front sway bar. The Sway bar is from Concept-1 and is a Eurosport 25mm. It was tough to fit because the thickness of it and the shape of the ends is not quite the same as the original. It touches the control arm at full sag. My suggestion for installation is to have both ball joints disconnected and lift the arms up to install the end bushings and brackets, then pry both arms down at the same time to reconnect the ball joints, otherwise you are fighting a very stiff sway bar.
I am putting the pieces in a bit at a time to see what made the most differences as it goes. So far the front sway bar was very significant to the cars ride and cornering. Much of that I feel had to do with the fact that the sway bar was balancing the load to compensate for the blown out front strut, still very significant and I am pleased so far.

I will be putting the rear sway bar in next. It is a 28mm Eurosport from Concept-1 also. Just waiting for the new rear bushing clamp pieces to arrive front MK1autohaus. Unless the Cup Kit arrives first.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

Well the Cup Kit arrived about 2 weeks ago.
Turns out H&R messed up and sent me 2 different front strut cartridges. It didn't help that PG Performance in Surrey didn't inspect the contents of the kit before forwarding it onto me. Just adds to the delays.
They are now shipping me one front strut cartridge to match the correct one.

The other issue, well I hope it doesn't become an issue, is that the cartridges came with a new housing tube nut. The new nut is for an externally threaded housing. Mine are internal threaded housings.

Anyways, I have, or will have, all I need for the GTI's suspension and will get on with the installation fairly soon.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension choice help for '84 MK1 GTI Reply with quote

The H&R Sport Cup Kits have been installed.

It was touch and go there for awhile as those top caps on the struts really don't like to come out.

The car sits about an inch and a half lower and has a smooth but firm ride. I can't comment on the handling yet as I have not aligned it yet and the rear sway bar is not in yet.

All in all though I am very pleased with the ride of the H&Rs.

Gordo.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: