Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Cooling
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Cooling Reply with quote

Hi I have a 64 Notch with a Type 3 motor. I was wondering how to keep the engine as cool as possible, aside from keeping it clean and oil, what other tips do you recommend, I was told to insulate the head tin with heat absorbing material. Also I was told to enclose the engine department from the bottom to keep the air flow to a minimum. I was wondering if anyone has a custom set up that allows their motor to run cool. I have two extra radiator fans that I was going hook up, but not sure where or how to do it to keep the oil cooler. Some have suggested full flow and filter and with a deep oil sump also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
David

Oh yeah I live in Orange County California, and am looking for a reputable shop or master mechanic to help me get on the road

Bobnotch
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Cooling Reply with quote

david69 wrote:
    Hi I have a 64 Notch with a Type 3 motor. I was wondering how to keep the engine as cool as possible, aside from keeping it clean and oil, what other tips do you recommend, I was told to insulate the head tin with heat absorbing material. Also I was told to enclose the engine department from the bottom to keep the air flow to a minimum. I was wondering if anyone has a custom set up that allows their motor to run cool. I have two extra radiator fans that I was going hook up, but not sure where or how to do it to keep the oil cooler. Some have suggested full flow and filter and with a deep oil sump also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
    David

I've got a 65 Notch that I've driven long distances, and in all types of weather. The main things I've done, were make sure every piece of stock cooling tin and bits were in place, and not set up the ignition with too much advance. I'm running a stock 1600 motor, with dual port heads and dual Solex carbs, with an SVDA distributor that's timed at 28* total advance.
    Otherwise, there's nothing special used to cool it. You do really have to make sure all of the cooling bits are in place, and you've got a good cooling boot with no rips or cracks in it.
    64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
    Tram wrote:
    "Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
    Tram wrote:
    People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
    pedro sainz
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Cooling Reply with quote

david69 wrote:

Thank you
    David

Oh yeah I live in Orange County California, and am looking for a reputable shop or master mechanic to help me get on the road

Check if the flaps of the housing are complete open
      N.O.N.A member #3
      The Truth is Out There
      View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
      Donnie strickland
      Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Cooling Reply with quote

david69 wrote:

Thank you
      David

Never attach any kind of material to the tin. Keep the tin as clean as possible. Also, the Type 3 cooling system is not like a Bug, so the advice about enclosing the engine compartment is incorrect. Just make sure you have every single piece of cooling tinofthat it's installed correctly, and that your body-to-engine cooling boot is tight and in good condition.
        sjbartnik
        Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Cooling Reply with quote

david69 wrote:
        Hi I have a 64 Notch with a Type 3 motor. I was wondering how to keep the engine as cool as possible, aside from keeping it clean and oil, what other tips do you recommend, I was told to insulate the head tin with heat absorbing material. Also I was told to enclose the engine department from the bottom to keep the air flow to a minimum. I was wondering if anyone has a custom set up that allows their motor to run cool. I have two extra radiator fans that I was going hook up, but not sure where or how to do it to keep the oil cooler.

None of this is necessary to keep the engine cool.

The main thing to keeping the engine cooling properly is to make sure that the rubber bellows that connects the fan housing to the body is intact and doesn't have holes in it. That way all the cooling air for the engine comes through the ducts in the body. If the bellows is missing, then you're sucking hot air from the engine compartment into the fan.

Make sure your thermostat and flaps are working properly.

Tune your engine properly.

That's it.
        Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
        Page 1 of 1

Jump to: