Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle shaft leak!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

ive searched already but im looking for definitive answers, today i gassed up half a tank and went driving about 10 miles and back, i noticed the throttle shaft leaking a lot. i have a new german gas cap but i dont think it is vented. when i take it off to fuel up, i hear a large amount of vacum and sometimes i hear the tank changing shape when sitting off after a while. my engine is a 1500 s/p and i run a 28 pict carb. my fuel pump is a new brosol and im guessing the push rod is origimal but im not 100 %. i noticed it sweating at the shaft but never actually pouring till now. any suggestions would be greatly recieved and appreciated. i also recently rebuilt it and have good service for months now till today. i also saw air bubbles coming from the fuel pump to the bowl via the filter. im thinking of getting a new 30 pict round bowl, is that cool? i read barb's thread on leaking shafts but i have to try the cap and other suggestions.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the link betwixt the throttle shaft and the gas tank.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today i put in a half tank which i usually run on only a quarter. my cap is new german which ive read is shit and not vented, after a warm afternoon of leisurely driving i think the fuel expanded pushing it through the carb and passed the shaft.....am i crazy, this happenned today and it has not got a warm day workout with a half tank before.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my cap wasn't venting it would make a vacume sound like yours is, but what really let me know it wasn't venting is I thought I ran out of gas about 3 times(pretty bad it took that long to figure it out) and each time I opened the cap air would rush in & let gas flow to the carb. I never had pressure build forcing gas out the carb. That almost sounds like you float needle isn't closing when the bowl fills alowing to much fuel into the carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes you think your throttle shaft isn't worn. pretty common. is this a newer carb??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a vented cap and your carb re-bushed.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a vented cap before the tank cracks!! As for the throttle shaft leaking it can be nice and tight, but will still leak if fuel is pouring into there.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I left my 1957 buses gas cap at a gas station near Lake Tahoe and bought another one after I was too far away to go back and get it. Later, I found out that the new cap was unvented: on a hot day with the bus in the garage, overnight, there was the strong odor of gasoline. I checked the engine oil and gasoline was in the crankcase, mixed with the engine oil. The gasoline had expaned with vapor as it got hotter and, since the vapor couldn't be vented, the fuel was forced through the carburetor and down into the heads. That is probably why gas has been escaping between the throttle shaft and throttle bushings (pressure).
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys!! i read up on caps more than throttle shafts and i tapped a tiny hole with my tiny drill bit at 12 of the clock. i started it up this morning and i checked on the carb off and on for about 10 minutes as i warmed it up. drove it to work and checked it after i parked it. no leaking. im sure the shaft is worn but it had never leaked that bad before. i smell a little gas in the engine and will change my oil asap!! i still plan to buy a nos 30 pict, on that note will a nos one need rebuilding anyhow since the rubber inside is old, or is there luck with nos carbs? i want a new solex and dont want a brazilian solex. but 200 bucks on something i need to rebuild is bit much too.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is causing the leaking of gas is the steel throttle shaft wearing into the aluminum casting of the carb, a gasket does not make that seal. you can have your og carb rebushed.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering if ishould rebush the 28 pict or get a new 30 pict round for my bus? i thought 30is original but in my abridged manual i see a 28 pict as original.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoy still need to buy a vented gas cap, which doesn't let the vapor go staight out or the air straight in. Having a hole through the cap, in effect, makes the fuel tank a potential bomb.
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM ON IT , try to get one this week.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

I have been having a problem with gas leaking from the carb throttle shaft, and think it could be the needle/seat. This carb was removed carb(30 pict-1) and cleaned it up recently. Original needle/seat cleaned/re-used.

I notice the leaking shaft about 5 minutes after the warm motor is cut off. Sometimes it takes longer to start after being shut down for about 5 minutes; Holding the throttle open seems to help. I have an og vented gas cap as well; checked and no pressure in the tank.

Any idea if this could be the needle/seat?

I have had issues in the past with the needle/seat that comes in the carb kits not shutting off the flow of gas like they are supposed to. Should I have shimmed the one in the kit differently, or is that a common problems with these aftermarket kits?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

It could be:

1. Too much fuel pressure. Check for this first.

2. Too heavy or cracked float. Replace with a known good one to see if the problem goes away.

3. Bad shut off valve, or debris has gotten into the valve.

4. Not thick enough gasket on the float valve. We had to install two to keep fuel from leaking in hot weather.

5. Crack in float chamber.

As for holding the throttle open that is just dumping all the fuel down into the P&Cs where it will pass by the rings to thin out the engine oil which in turn can get so thin that the moving parts of the engine no longer get lubricated....
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

Is there a way to determine how many/how thick a gasket is installed under the valve? I know there a several different sizes/thickness of metal/fiber washers in the rebuild kits, along with the small plastic measuring ruler that I have never used.

Thomas Jefferson
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

Probably mentioned in one or more of the Bentley manuals.

Did a quick search for "carb float gasket" in the forums and came up with this one of several results.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511975&highlight=float+valve+gasket+thickness
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

Replaced the needle/seat with another used original and 1 thick/1 thin washer; still leaks after shut-down.

Checked fuel pressure, 2.5psi

I may try and change the float and use 2 thick washers under the needle/seat and see what happens.

Thomas Jefferson
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

I've been dealing with this on my bus for a while now, it's getting annoying. It's doing this on a Volksbitz restored 28 pict-1 (as it did on my old carb). I've tried thicker gaskets under the needle, different floats, checked the fuel pressure, OG vented gas cap, correct heat riser gaskets, higher octane fuel. Engine runs cool, I drove it around for a few hours nonstop last weekend, killed it and watched. It didn't start leaking out of the throttle shaft until about 45 minutes or so after sitting. So it's definitely a heak soak issue. I'm thinking about trying a phenolic spacer: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1971933
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle shaft leak!! Reply with quote

You say you tried thicker gaskets under the needle valve. Have you tried two gaskets?

Doubt that the phenolic spacer will do much when the Summer heat comes your way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: