Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
I view driving my split the same as riding motorcycles.

A friend once told me "driving an old VW is like riding a motorcycle. Drive like you are strapped to the front of it, because you are".

He drives old VW's and new motorcycles.

Good to hear things are getting better for you every day. Keep it up!
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Good to read the driver is getting better!
The bus is for sale now:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1952464
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Very Happy

Getting ready to go camping this coming weekend in my new (to me) 88 Vanagon Westfalia! I'm much better but not close to where I want to be. I still am pretty weak in my left side and the fusion in my right foot will probably leave me with a permanent limp.

I am blessed to be alive and all of your thoughts and prayers have been a big boost to my recovery. You guys and gals are the best!
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

God bless, Gene!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
Very Happy

Getting ready to go camping this coming weekend in my new (to me) 88 Vanagon Westfalia! I'm much better but not close to where I want to be. I still am pretty weak in my left side and the fusion in my right foot will probably leave me with a permanent limp.

I am blessed to be alive and all of your thoughts and prayers have been a big boost to my recovery. You guys and gals are the best!

This is so great to hear!! Have fun camping in your Westy!
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

That's great man! I hope you have a great time camping in your new rig. Keep the healing up!
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Enjoy, I have owned three vanagon westies. the perpect campmoble.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Our best to you for continued healing and happiness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

outstanding, where are you camping at?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

You have been the best boost defeating fraught. Gimp is good.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Good for you! Hope you enjoy your camping time
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
outstanding, where are you camping at?

I'll be camping about an hour and a half away at Morrow Mountain State Park...really just big hills but very scenic!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Wow this is great news, and the 88 Westy is an awesome ride. Have a great time and keep up the good work in pt.

hickmangene wrote:
Very Happy

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Very Happy

Look forward to seeing any of my Samba well-wishers and friends at the Farmington NC SEVWA show and race October 16. I hope to be camping out with a friend visiting from Scotland UK Saturday night if everything isn't rained out (will hurricane Matthew still be looping round and round by then???). Come by and say hi to the slightly lame guy in the '88 Westy! Very Happy
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Looking forward to meeting you. See you at Farmington
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Gene,

I hope you are doing well. I see you Instagram and i hope that is a good sign. Best wishes as we head into Spring!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Very Happy

Thanks, I am doing better, but have hit a "wall" in recovery - apparently my back was damaged in the accident too and I have a very herniated disc in my back affecting the nerves to my left leg. I have returned to driving a bit in the local school system but I can't stand for the hours necessary for classroom work. I do go camping a bit in my 88 Westy and I'm thankful for that!
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Just a word of praise from a fellow bus lover for your admirable and impressive perseverance! Man, you took a hit and you've hit right back with all your progress. Sorry to hear about the back, but it seems you've got a strong will and spirit and the back may too mend further. Dont' know ya, but certainly proud of ya!
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Shocked

This has been a tough year, but I am very thankful for where I am and for all of my friends here on the Samba and in the VW community at large - you guys are great!

Don't be afraid to drive the old things, but drive them carefully and defensively! Install 3 point belts like I did in my '67, always lock your doors when driving (strengthening the body) like I do, and don't remove original safety related parts like heavy front bumpers. Mine absorbed a bunch of the crash energy and still folded like a pretzel!

Most of all, just enjoy!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Does locking the doors help strengthen the body? I always unlock all of the doors incase I need to make a quick exit or if someone needs to pull me out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: