Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 bug wiring mess plz help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supermanbidder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

My wiring to the fuse box is all wrong can someone take some pics of their fusebox wiring so i can compare them please and thank
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:

Not very helpful. But an appropriate response regarding the OP's question.
To the OP. Dude if you want help with your wiring issue. You can, in very the least provide a little information. Like what year model it is.
Geese.
Good Luck.
PS This should help ya! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

supermanbidder wrote:
My wiring to the fuse box is all wrong can someone take some pics of their fusebox wiring so i can compare them please and thank

Assuming your Beetle is a '76 STD Beetle (non SB) then your fuse box will look similar to the ones in the first two pics posted by cletus_zuber. These are the type w/ the relay bridge over the fuse connections (67rustavenger's pic is for an earlier model year which didn't have the relay bridge).

I'd recommend instead of looking at other's fuse boxes (which may not be correct) it is better to map your fuse box to the wiring diagram for your model year so you are instead following a documented standard. This will help later if someone other than you needs to troubleshoot your electrical system.

EDIT: This diagram may be close to your model year.

If you have FI then you may need to use one of the later SB diagrams.

Just realize that all of the S fuses in these later wiring diagram flow current from the top to the bottom. The bottom of the diagram is common ground. For many fuses you will see a black line connecting the INPUT (top) side of fuses. These black lines represent a brass bridge the connects to fuses together. You can see these in the pic posted by cletus_zuber. Look at the bottom edge and you can see fuses sharing a brass bar. This means the bottom of the fuse box in the pic is the INPUT side (top side of the wiring diagram). This means that the top of the wiring diagram is not the top of the fuse box. Check to see which side of your fuse box is the INPUT side.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

I know a common response in this case is to get the appropriate wiring diagram and learn how to read it. It definitely seems like a beneficial skill to have as I too have some wiring bugs I'd like to fix, but I am very intimidated by it and don't really know where to start.

I've looked at the diagram for my 78 FI Convertible and have no idea where to start. I'm familiar enough with wiring car stereos, ceiling fans, home outlets, etc., but that all seems so basic in comparison.

What resources are recommended to learn how to read the diagrams and what all of the little images mean, and how to find and trace the wires based on the diagram?
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
cletus_zuber wrote:

Not very helpful. But an appropriate response regarding the OP's question.
To the OP. Dude if you want help with your wiring issue. You can, in very the least provide a little information. Like what year model it is.
Geese.
Good Luck.
PS This should help ya! Shocked

Did you not read the title? and it is spelled geez..not geese, those are birds...
To the OP, I have a mess under my bonnet as well. Looks like someone took some beaters and ran them through the wiring. I very methodically took my wires and wrapped them with electrical tape like Detroit used to do. Then I continued by unsplicing anything that was hacked in and or abandoned. It still looks like scrambled eggs under there, but a little less so.
Best of luck.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

mergedown wrote:

What resources are recommended to learn how to read the diagrams and what all of the little images mean, and how to find and trace the wires based on the diagram?

cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 bug wiring mess plz help Reply with quote

Also try the 72 diagram, same colors, etc as the later cars, doesn't have fuel injection of course but near as I can tell the FI doesn't involve the fuse box anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: