Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Greetings from the Philippines.

I recently acquired a rare 69 beetle with IRS transmission and would love to restore it to its original form. I really need your honest inputs, opinions, and suggestions on all of my questions (mostly aesthetics). I may or may not add more questions in the future.

1. Based on the chassis number, is there a way to tell its original paint color and interior trim color? The chassis number is 11944328.

2. The beetle came off with 65-67 front seats when I bought them and I am told they are the original seats. However, based on the image below (Source: http://www.jbugs.com/category/1969-vw-bug-seat-covers-padding.html), it isn't. Are these seats interchangeable or not based on year model?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3. It didn't come with seatbelts, so I'll be getting a new one. With this specific year model, which seat belts did the front and rear seat had?

4. Which color of the steering wheel and knobs did the beetle originally have?

5. To be honest, the stance of the beetle is the only thing I'd like to change. What happens if I only make a change on the spindle (original rims and tire size). Will the tire hit the fender when I make a huge turn? If so, can you suggest me a tire size that goes perfectly with the rim and won't hit the fender?

6. There is no tar board in my beetle. Is it a good idea not to install one?

Last edited by technowar on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:07 am; edited 2 times in total
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

1969 Beetles had a 9-digit VIN, so you're missing one number. However, the VIN will not tell you the colour or other specs.

In most of the export market, Beetles came with low backrests on the front seats, so yours could very well be the originals. Jbugs is a USA company, hence the high backrest specified in their catalogue, as per exports to North America (to meet their safety standards).

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Glad to know. Thank you.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

You can see the style of low-back seats used outside the USA in this 1969 brochure from France. These aren't the same as 66-67 seats, they have a remote-release knob for the backrest... 66-67 had the release lever down at the bottom.

(Also note the lack of a padded cover on the dashboard.)

Compare that to this 1966 brochure:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

From a 67 owners manual. The backrest release came mid year.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Oh yeah, that's right. Mid 67, like 5 months in.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

So I guess it is safe to say I have the original seats?
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Anyone with more inputs?
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Anyone with more inputs?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Post some photos!

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Can you confirm what your end goal is?? Are you trying to restore it to its original state (100% restoration)?

technowar wrote:
5. To be honest, the stance of the beetle is the only thing I'd like to change. What happens if I only make a change on the spindle (original rims and tire size). Will the tire hit the fender when I make a huge turn? If so, can you suggest me a tire size that goes perfectly with the rim and won't hit the fender?

Please confirm, are you planning to install "2.5" dropped spindles" to lower the front end 2.5"? Most aftermarket dropped spindles will push the wheels out about 0.5" on each side. This will most likely make your stock 155/165 tires on stock wheels rub on the inside of the fenders on hard turns or when carrying a pair of full sized adults. You could try adjusting the camber to get you more clearance (at the cost of handling and tire wear) or go with 145/80-15 tires.

technowar wrote:
6. There is no tar board in my beetle. Is it a good idea not to install one?

The tar board in the engine compartment acts as an insulator and sound deadener(?). If you can live without it I've seem many Beetles w/o.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

@glutamodo sorry didn't get the chance to take pictures. I don't have the camera on my phone.

@ashman40 yes, restore it to its original state. However, since the body isn't really rusted and has no further body works (thank god), I'd like to restore first all the original aesthetics that came with this year model of mine (eg steering wheel, buttons, switches and their colors, antenna and etc).

Quote:
Please confirm, are you planning to install "2.5" dropped spindles" to lower the front end 2.5"? Most aftermarket dropped spindles will push the wheels out about 0.5" on each side. This will most likely make your stock 155/165 tires on stock wheels rub on the inside of the fenders on hard turns or when carrying a pair of full sized adults.

Yes, I'd like to use dropped spindles in front.

Quote:
You could try adjusting the camber to get you more clearance (at the cost of handling and tire wear).

Isn't camber adjusted in the rear?
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

technowar wrote:

Isn't camber adjusted in the rear?

I think this site has the answers youre looking for http://www.vw-resource.com/front_suspension.html

camber is a property of any wheel on any car, but its not always setup to be adjusted if that was what you meant. it sounds like thefactory front suspension on the beetle doesn't have camber adjustments and you need a special aftermarket mod to adjust front camber in a beetle.
technowar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

What tire size and wheel size works well with a lowered beetle?
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently acquired a 69. Need your opinions. Reply with quote

Maybe this thread can help answer your question.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: