Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maticus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

So, I'm putting together an engine with the help of a local shop. It's a warmed up 1600DP with a CB 2280 "cheater" cam that I also got a set of single HD springs for it. I've got the solid rocker shafts and swivel feet adjusters using the stock 1.1:1 rockers. With most of the valve train figured out, I've seen a lot of debate about pushrods with upgraded springs. I've heard that stock rods are okay or stock rods will bend with HD singles, with lots of arguing between the two schools of thought.

So, I'm digging around the shop looking for a spare thermostat (Yes, I run flaps and a thermostat on my engine, aren't I the odd one) and in the midst of this perusing, I find a big ol' stack of pushrods on a shelf, and see a couple of thicker ones among the bunch. I ask my mechanic buddy about them and he tells me they came out of some bus engines, Type 4 pushods. I sort through the stack and find at least enough healthy looking rods for a set of 8, and a couple spare. I also note that they are little shorter than the T1 rods, but also their much sturdier appearance.

Since I'll be flycutting the heads to bump the compression and have an altered valve train, it looks like I'll potentially need shorter pushrods anyway, making the T4s a potential replacement.

Basically my question is: Are the T4 pushrods considerably stronger than the T1 pushrods, enough to handle single HD springs, or am I judging a book by its (thicker) cover?

Or should I just not worry about the stock rods, even if I have to shorten them, which I'm told some people have done. Laughing
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

Biggest problem is getting them to clear the pr tube. I have done it but was more hassle than it was worth. Heavy but very strong. Dan
Maticus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Biggest problem is getting them to clear the pr tube. I have done it but was more hassle than it was worth. Heavy but very strong. Dan

You know, I thought to myself their width may be an issue from a clearance perspective, as they are considerably wider than T1 rods. Thanks for the experienced input Dan. Very Happy

Did they contribute any odd characteristics over stock or other HD aluminum pushrods (noise, excessive weight causing issue) or were they okay and nothing really out of the ordinary?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

You could taper them to help clear the ends of the pushrod tubes, and for most purposes they will need to be lengthened, which may be possible by putting on different ends. Sounds like a lot of work.
rockurob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

I run shortened stock VW alum pushrods with my single
HD springs with 1.25 rockers..... with swivel feet and
rocker shaft upgrade kit.... I had to shorten my p-rods...
just pull one end and trim, using a plumbers copper tubing
cutter.....
I conferred with this member from Missouri before doing this.... he was
running a single port turbo making 150HP+ in a buggy...
he was utilizing stock VW alum p-rods
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271444

70 Baja Street Rod Project
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1644125.jpg
Drag Buggy project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1726674.jpg
61 Rag Project:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1188580
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

I ran stock pushrods in my race buggy with a 110 cam, 125 rockers and HD singles for years with no problems

brad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

the 1.1 rockers are more sensitive than most others as far as geo go,s. so get it right. they do not like to be too low like most other rockers do.so a shroter pushrod probably isant the answer. also the rockers need to be clearanced for the adjuster&lashcap thickness or it will act like the rocker is too low so.....be sure to clearance the rocker so the adjuster can screw up farther and put the rocker back to the proper angle.
Maticus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 pushrod in Type 1 engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! I'll just run stockers for now since the T-4s seem to be more hassle than they're worth. Hopefully I can get my first rebuild done soon, I can't wait to drive my beetle again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: