Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954-1957 rear deck lid fit a '67?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1954-1957 rear deck lid fit a '67? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I see an issue not yet pointed out. The '67 deck lid is raised in the middle. My understanding is that the larger oil bath air cleaners used with 1500 and 1600 cc engines will not clear the 1966 and older deck lids.

Running a smaller open air filter is not a good idea if you live in a climate with regular frosty morning or high humidity when the temperature is below 50F. Carb icing issues start to rear their ugly head.

The deck lid isn't raised in the center. They shortened the decklid to allow them to change the angle of the license plate area so it was closer to vertical. Because of this you have a pronounced line just below the license plate light.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ran a '65 on a '69 pan with a stock 1500 and had no problems with the air cleaner hitting the deck lid.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954-1957 rear deck lid fit a '67? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

The deck lid isn't raised in the center. They shortened the decklid to allow them to change the angle of the license plate area so it was closer to vertical. Because of this you have a pronounced line just below the license plate light.

Correct ...and incorrect....

While the 67 decklid center technically wasn't raised on purpose that any of us are aware of. .. it does offer more engine clearance due to the changed bulged design.
When the license plate location was changed to flat and vertical the sheet metal above the plate angle changed to match which resulted in an increased "bowing " or bulging effect.

Its obvious in the trailing roof line and comparing the amount of sheet metal raised over the tail lamps in the center.

The 67 lid bulges more than prior years.

and....
Later years after 1967 as the deck lid shrank even more , the bulge grew slightly larger and higher as well.

A company doesn't change things just because or by accident... a running model change cost money.
It was a requirement to have the license plate flat/vertical and then when the bumper requirements were changed for 1968 it caused another license plate position and deck lid change.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glasguydj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1954-1957 rear deck lid fit a '67? Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a 1967 sedan, restored 26 years ago, not worried about the correct deck lid as I have both years, the standard 67 rear deck lid and I just happened to fall into a 55-56 convertible "W" deck lid. I use stand offs because of dual carb clearance. I was under the impression that I would have to change the rear apron in order for this "w" deck lid to work. If I keep my stock apron can I use the "W" deck lid with the stand offs and tennis ball on the botttom. Would love to use this convertible "W" deck lid on my 67 because I have big engine and wanna keep it as cool as I can. But also keep my engine somewhat protected from the elements if I got caught out in rain. I only drive it on nice days as it's not a Dailey driver. If I didn't get this deck lid for cheap I would not be thinking about buying one but dam I love the "W" lids and I'll never sell my bug so I am not worried with what someone else thinks about it. Its mine. Thanks for your time.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1954-1957 rear deck lid fit a '67? Reply with quote

glasguydj wrote:
. If I keep my stock apron can I use the "W" deck lid with the stand offs and tennis ball on the botttom. .

Wel yeah.. WIth stand offs and a tennis ball.... just about any decklid will cover the engine.
Just keep in mind using a early lid with a late or 67 apron .. the lower latch area will be restong on any painted or exposed surface. Granted it may only wear a spot on the paint..but just wanted to note it..

Instead.... how bout a trading me that convertible lid for a full kustom 67 pressed louvered deck lid.. Wink Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: