Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

Ive scoured through the forums regarding shift coupler. I was wondering if anyone has used or preferred the urethane coupler from Jbugs vs the stock one from wolfsburg. about ready to change coupler and shift bearing bushing and top plate??? thanks everyone. Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

Get the rubber one from WW
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
If the cage is ok, along with the remaining metal parts why not just get the rectangular bushings? 2 required. Ive personally used their parts.

http://www.eisparts.com/823711477.html

Hope this helps, Bill.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

Many of the metal parts on new ones are poorly made. But if the rubber from the new kit fits, just make a "best of" set of hardware.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

make shure you watch the video where they use a piece of PVC pipe and two zip tyes to take the shift rod out .......cleaver and easy ....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

got a link for that?
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
got a link for that?

Not a video but a pic from the gallery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

Thanks fla2smoker ; the zip tye closest to the thumb goes on loose and is put in ON the pipe and tightened after it is around the shift rod and then the second tye wrap is added ; pull pipe out replace bushing and push back in ; then remove tye wraps ;
Also read about using a brass bushing and replace ONCE .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651300&highlight=
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

BluzBug wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651300&highlight=

Thanks ; is there a size or number for the snap ring .

BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

... just a 1" Snap Ring, i went to TSC (Tractor Supply) .. or maybe Lowes, and found one at TSC Wink

The person in the other Post put his in "Full Length" .... i cut mine down to the overall length of the original Plastic one (.625)

(Not rattling yet... i doubt if it ever will)
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

I installed the red urethane coupler and it shifted beautifully--nice and tight. But there was a terrible side effect. The hard urethane transmitted the transmission vibration through the shift rod and made a lot of racket. For a racer, I'd definitely recommend the urethane. But NOT for a driver.

VW couplers had a softer rubber toward the center, and harder rubber toward the cage. This eleminated transmitted vibration. So anything that is closer to stock--like the WW coupler--I'd definitely prefer.

Actually, I scored an OEM coupler to replace the new urethane one, and my vibration/annoying rattle disappeared.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
make shure you watch the video where they use a piece of PVC pipe and two zip tyes to take the shift rod out .......cleaver and easy ....
Quote:
thanks saw it today will use!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: