Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low oil pressure
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrcdnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

Well I just rebuilt my engine from a 1600cc to 1700cc, new cam brg, crank brg, lifters, all internals. Also installed a new 28mm oil pump. Also converted it over to an external oil filter. I'm using a K&N HP 2004 filter. Plugged the one side of the oil pump for the external filter. Filled the engine with 10w-30 oil. Before starting the engine I tried bring the oil pressure up. I could only get 20 PSI. Pulled to cover off the pump and removed the gasket. With the gasket I had .006 clearance between the cover and the pump. With the gasket removed I have .002 clearance, but still only 20 PSI. Any Ideas, what am I missing?
gringoloco2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

How are you priming it? When I prime mine, I don't think I get over 20PSI. I turn it over with the coil disconnected until I get over 10PSI. Have you gotten is started and don't get over 20PSI when you are over 2K RPM?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

would first change that oil filter- on starting a new engine they throw gobs of stuff to the oil-

Next would check the oil pressure relief valve n spring- we just had one with the wrong spring-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

always remove sparking bolts when spinning the engine to prime the oil system !!!. did you put the pistons in then the springs?or the springs then the pistons? are all the clearances correct? were they checked?
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

You plugged the pump outlet. Did you also plug the matching outlet galley? If the pump housing is undersized it can bleed pressure out that galley.

Usually I can get about 40psi cranking for oil pressure. Yes, I abuse my starter and battery... A recent build I couldn't get the pressure above 20... Hmmm. Fired it up and had about 70 psi at break in RPM. No worries here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

I do not know if the cranking oil pressure is normal or not, but it's certainly good enough to start the engine.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I do not know if the cranking oil pressure is normal or not, but it's certainly good enough to start the engine.
I agree.
lrcdnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
would first change that oil filter- on starting a new engine they throw gobs of stuff to the oil-

Next would check the oil pressure relief valve n spring- we just had one with the wrong spring-

I've installed a new type pressure relief valve, the type with the grove at the top. But the low pressure was there when I had the old pressure relief in.
lrcdnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I think your right. 20 PSI by just turning over with just the battery isn't bad. It should have better psi running. I'm waiting on my SVDA distributor to crank iit up. Thanks.
lrcdnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

lrcdnc wrote:
modok wrote:

I think your right. 20 PSI by just turning over with just the battery isn't bad. It should have better psi running. I'm waiting on my SVDA distributor to crank iit up. Thanks.

Yup started the engine yesterday and had 60+ psi. After 20 min. brake in and up to temp. still had 45+ psi.

Thanks everyone for your comments it helped.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure Reply with quote

pressure should be approx. 10PSI per 1000 RPM if your idle pressure is 60 PSI cold and 45 hot your oil is too heavy

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: