Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natibug62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Having trouble trying to find out what is causing my #1 fuse to blow every time I turn on my headlights. I have bypassed headlight switch and relay and it is still blowing. Fuse starts to get really hot then finally blows. Any thoughts?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

This just happened out of the blue? By fuse 1 you mean the one fuse at the far left, correct? Do your turn signals work fine with the headlights off?

Please post a picture of the wire side of the fuse block and the headlight switch

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Natibug62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

It just started out of the blue. The fuse I am referring to is the one on the far right where the power comes in. Turn signals work fine. With the car off I turn headlights switch on and I have headlights and taillights working but the fuse starts to get hot. I disconnected and by passed headlight switch and relay and still have the same problem. I even by passed the fuse and wire gets really hot.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Post pics of the wiring connected to that fuse. It is likely miswired there or at the other end of one of the wires, causing a short.

Did this just start? What changed? Or is this a new car to you?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Dimmer switch have issues? Is it grounded?
Is it your high or low beams or both?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Headlight power should not pass through that fuse. Something is wired wrong. A great and common suggestion is to print the wiring diagram from the Technical section at kinkos poster size, and laminated. Then use a grease pencil or dry-erase marker to check off every wire and connector as you systematically check it all under the hood. There really is no shortcut.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Phil is correct. That fuse has nothing to do with lighting. Fuse one is windshield wipers and turn signals.

Turn signals should be isolated from tail light and headlight bulbs (different bulbs)

Need to see what you see. Post a pic of the wiring side of the fuse block and headlight switch as I requested earlier, please.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Natibug is referring to 1st fuse at the RIGHT, so it is the +30 (always on) fuse; 8A, only for interior light and radio.

I suppose the error is into relay main feed; he took it from the 8A fuse because he needs +30 always on for relays (bypassing main light switch).

I suggest, if a couple of relays are used, to feed relays with a main new cable directly from battery.

Weeks ago we discussed about a relay light conversion and someone posted a good schematic.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Ah, well that explains a lot. Without knowing what he's done specifically its kind of hard to advise him.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

try disconnecting the wire that goes to the parking lights. i had a similar problem on my 60 and it ended up being that the bulb holder was shorting out on the fender and blowing the fuse when i as i turned on the lights.
sludge20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Just had this issue. Wiper the 6 volt wiper motor had an intermittent ground internally. (Note this is on a 12 volt conversion so I have some step down resistors and such to check out too.) Going to do an autopsy on it this weekend. Suspect it got wet and has some corrosion inside.
sludge20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Also take a look at the three connections on the high beam switch. One time I found one of mine had bent just a bit and would intermittently ground out when I shifted. (big feet). I put new shielded blade terminals and a bit of extra hot shrink on them and this issue was solved.
Bugman1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Main fuse blows when i turn on headlights on my 62 bug Reply with quote

Unless you have a multimeter to track down the problem, you will have to use trial and error to find it. You'll need a good supply of fuses. Disconnect the low beam wires at fuse block first and turn on the headlights. If the problem persists disconnect the high beam wires and press the dimmer switch a few times. If the problem still persists you have eliminated the headlights as the problem. Leave the headlight wires disconnected for now. Next, do the tail lights. If the problem still persists with both the taillights and headlights disconnected you have eliminated those circuits. The problem is either in the switch or in the main power wire coming from the switch to the fuse block. There is either a short in the switch or the main wire is shorting out somewhere and needs to be replaced. If you have an unfused wire getting hot there is a source of resistance ( short) on that circuit. Don't give up..you'll find the problem and it will probably be something simple. Good luck.

Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: