Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid license plate light ground
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

Since removing and painting the decklid some months ago I've had a dodgy license plate light. At first the light would only come on with the lid closed, which was ok while it lasted. Now it doesn't come on at all.

At the time of painting and rewiring the light, I made sure the light ground on the decklid had a nice shiny bit of metal to sit on. I guessed somewhere around the hinges too would need to be paint-free and thought I left adequate metal-to-metal contact. Now that it doesn't work, I'm thinking I just didn't do a good enough job of ensuring the light had a way to ground.

Question is, how exactly does the light find ground? Which parts of the decklid where it attaches to the body needs to be clean of paint? Or, at least, when the beetle came out of the factory, how did light find ground? Am I going to have to remove the decklid to get a good ground?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

Before you make yourself crazy chasing grounds, make sure the bulb hasn't died.

Also make sure the bulb has a snug connection into its socket. The power input to the bulb is through the point on the base but the ground is basically the rest of the bulb's metal casing. It needs to make good contact with the housing to have a good ground.

You can test your ground theory with a length of jumper wire, just turn the lights on, run your jumper wire from battery negative to the bulb housing and see if that makes the light come on. If it does, then bad ground is confirmed. If not, then your problem is elsewhere.

Your theory of how it grounds is correct; bulb housing grounds to the decklid by contact through the mounting point, then the decklid grounds to the rest of the body through the hinges.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

You can also clean the inside of the bulb holder using a battery terminal brush and electrical cleaning spray. Might also check base of bulb for oxidation and clean that as well, assuming that the problem's at that location...

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

New shiny paint doesn't make good grounds . This has aggravated more than one restorer .
How well did you paint the decklid hinges ? Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
sludge20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

I had similar issues a while back. I corrected them by installing a small, hidden ground wire on the passenger side deck lid hinge bolt and ran it to the firewall bracket mount.
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

I literally fixed this exact issue on my 66 this morning before renewing my inspection!

Others' advice is correct: get a test light, and make sure the bulb is getting power before chasing grounds. If you get power to the plate light socket, you know its the ground. If you don't get power, that is your issue.

If you are getting power, make sure your bulb is for 6v and is in good working order. If the bulb is good (I used alligator clips to connect it directly to the battery for my test), then the grounds are indeed the culprit. The metal carrier for the plate light is grounded by the mounting screws.

You will need to make sure to chase out the screw holes, and that there is some exposed metal right around the screw mounting holes. This allows the metal bulb carrier to contact the car body. The bolts that hold the decklid hinges to the car should make metal to metal contact and ground the decklid.

If you arent getting power, the license plate light on your car hooks to the right tail light (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug60.jpg). Start at that connector with the test light and work towards your license plate light until you find the fault.
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

I haven't yet had time to work on the light but thanks for all the tips. I'm pretty sure it's a grounds issue but I'll be sure to check there's power to the light, and that the bulb and contacts are good.

Otherwise I suppose it's easy enough to find out if there's a path to ground from where the ground wire is attached to the decklid.

I think it's probably an issue with continuity through the hinges. I'm curious to know if anyone knows how VW ensured continuity through the hinges, what part of the assembly they left bare of paint.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid license plate light ground Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
I'm curious to know if anyone knows how VW ensured continuity through the hinges, what part of the assembly they left bare of paint.

My 1970 and my 1971 have a pair of wires going to the license plate light, one is a dedicated ground wire. Consider running such a wire, must have enough slack to engine lid can be opened without breaking it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: