Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a good working '72 trans for my '71 bus. The thing is I'm having some difficulty understanding how this thing mounts in. The '72 has the "mouse ears" on it that appear to be clamped down somehow? My '71 has a different mount set up in place that looks like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there only the rear mounting set-up and is the front supported by the engine/mustache bar? This bus never came with a mounted trans and being my first bus I'm kind of clueless here. Any help is greatly appreciated!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

you need the 68-71 mount bracket, 68-71 (71 preferred) bell housing and a 68-71 input shaft to make that 72 trans work.

or shorten the input shaft (hack job imho, but has been done)and you'll want to think about cutting the ears off the 72 bell housing if you don't want to do it the proper way...or just buy the right trans and call it a day

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

Crap, I thought it would be easier than that. Guess it's time to find another trans. Thanks!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

The bracket you need looks like the one bolted to the nosecone in the picture below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shortening the input shaft is easy enough to do just take your time with it. do a little topic searching around here. I recall a "how to" thread covering that mod some years back. And you can get away with using the '72 bell housing as is. it will clear the body of your '71. and work with your type 1 motor. It's not as hard as some make it out. Rolling Eyes
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
It's not as hard as some make it out. Rolling Eyes

never said it was hard, but it's a hack at best. will it work? yes. but to each their own....

issue being when that bus/trans goes back into circulation, there will be a bunch of head scratching trying to figure out the poor guy with a 72+ bus has clutch issues...

run what you got I guess....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I bought this trans because a friend of mine told me it would be geared better for the 1776 I'm putting in. I guess he didn't realize the issue with the input shaft. But if all it's gonna take is a shortened input shaft to make it work then it may be worth it.

Its getting tough to find specific bus parts locally and this one I have already. Hopefully the install goes smoothly.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

The news gets even worse, that 72 trans has the same gear ratios as your 71.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The news gets even worse, that 72 trans has the same gear ratios as your 71.

I think I just gotta stop listening to people Sad
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

It may not actually be necessary to shorten the shaft, as I think it depends on the specific gland nut installed on your engine. I have a later 002 trans
with the stock longer shaft, and it was installed and working fine in a '68 bus with stock engine. I've seen others here report the same.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting a '72 Trans in a '71 Bus Reply with quote

You can't stop listening to everybody, because some will give you correct information. Simply pay no attention to those with bogus information. The trick is sifting wheat from tares.

The input shaft length is all about crankshaft end play. A short shaft is for 3/5/6 rib trans onto an upright engine. The long shaft is for 3/5/6 rib trans onto a suitcase engine.

The longer input shaft combined with any gland nut has potential to remove enough end play to shorten your upright engine's lifespan. Torque the wrong parts together and ramp up thrust on the main bearing shoulders and cause accelerated wear in the heart of your engine when the wrong combo is used. By how much? Who really knows.

Why take a chance at all? Input shafts are not too difficult to find.

The reader of the thread must decide and live with their decision. There is no lesson like a bought lesson.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: