Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring issues - related?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Before I reinstall my windshield I want to make sure all the electrical parts and pieces are working. I’ve traced back several non-op bits successfully but am left with a couple I can’t easily figure out. Can you take a look at this list and offer any suggestions, either (i) that some are related, or (ii) how to troubleshoot each issue individually? Anything I haven’t mentioned is functioning as it should, although I have not yet installed the dome light.

1) Back-up lights are non-op. I did replace the fuse next to the coil.

2) The high beam headlight flasher doesn’t work.

3) The right front turn signal is dramatically brighter than the left side and the right flasher also does not work. I pulled the lenses. On the right (bright) side, the longer filament is lit continuously. On the left side it is the shorter one that is lit continuously (the longer filament flashes).

4) All the dash lights (including the radio) work when I turn on the parking lights. When I turn on the headlights, the dash lights go off.

See any pattern here? If not, I have a multi-meter but not a lot of experience, any specific troubleshooting instructions would be much appreciated!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Nope, you've got 4 separate problems to trace out.

The reversing lights is the easiest circuit, maybe start there to build confidence or leave that one for last because it's easiest. Very Happy
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

One down, 3 to go. The front turn signal issue (#3 on my list) was that the two wires on the fixture were crossed.... Who knew they were not interchangeable? I saw that in an old forum post.

Started in on #2. Checked all the connections at the fuse box to make sure they are tight. Traced all the wires to make sure they are plugged in to the correct terminals. I don't know how to bench test the relay (is it possible?) but I did have another matching relay that I tried with no success. The second relay could also be bad but they are both OEM and clean so I am guessing not. Tomorrow I am going to try hooking up another turn signal switch to see if that makes a difference.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Bench-testing a headlight relay:

You need a source of 12 volts, some clip leads, and a 12 volt test light. Note: -12 volts = ground.

The relay has terminals 56, 56a, 56b, and S. If it's a Euro style flashing relay, it also has a 30.

Connect 12 volts to terminals 56 and 30. Touch S to ground. The relay should click.

Connect a test light from 56a to ground. Touching S to ground should toggle the test light on and off.

Connect the test light from 56b to ground. Touching S to ground should toggle the test light on and off (but opposite from 56a).

If your relay has a terminal 30, then:

Disconnect the +12 volts from terminal 56. Leave +12 volts on 30. Connect the test light from 56a to ground. When S is grounded, the test light should light, and go off when S is ungrounded.

Note: if you don't have a terminal 30, the headlight flash function won't work.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

dash lights.. you probably have the dash lights on the wrong terminal of the headlight switch.. should be plugged into terminal 58b, and your 'parking light' lamp should be on terminal 57
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Another thing to check for the headlight relay is the switch to ground in the turn signal switch. The headlight relay is a latching relay that flips outputs when grounded and hold that state until grounded again.

The grounding is accomplished at the turn signal switch. Verify with your wiring diagram, but typically there is a brown/white wire from the relay to the turn signal switch. Then a solid brown wire coming out from the turn signal switch to a ground point under the dash. When you pull the lever for high beam all you're doing is connecting those two wires.

So if the brown wire is not properly grounded, the relay will not function and nothing will happen when you pull the lever for high beam. So check for that ground before you go swapping out turn signal switches.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

I do love me some Samba. Smile Where would I be without you guys (still in the garage, no doubt).

Three down, one to go.

#2 - sjbartnik, you were dead on. I traced the ground back to a connector that had separated. Also thanks to telford dorr for the detailed bench test instructions that even a newbie like me could follow. As it turns out, my original relay was good and the second one I tested was bad. High beams now work great.

#4 - scrivyscriv, you were also dead on. However, it was interesting why it happened and I wanted to share that with everyone as a warning. Back when I started this project I ordered a laminated electrical diagram off of EBay which I have been using pretty regularly. When I saw your note, I went back and compared the laminated version to the one in Bentley. As it turns out, the laminated diagram has 57 and 58a backwards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now off to the backup light troubleshooting. Any suggestions (I checked the fuse in the engine compartment)?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Backup light is the easiest one (I shouldn't jinx it)

Power comes from the + terminal at the coil. You found that already with the fuse holder. Do make sure that it's plugged into terminal 15 of the coil (which is pos.) and not terminal 1 (which is neg.).

Then follow that black wire under the bus where you will find it going to a switch installed on the transmission. The switch is very simple, 2 terminals. Power comes in on one terminal (doesn't matter which one). When you shift into reverse, a doohickey inside the transmission pushes on the switch which connects the two terminals electrically. Power then flows through the switch out the other terminal and back to the lights. There should be a T in that part of the circuit somewhere for the single wire coming back to split and go off one to each side.

Check that you have power to the switch with key on and check that you have power coming out of the switch with trans in reverse.

If that's all good then trace the wiring back to the lights, you'll find the problem in there somewhere.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Remove the bulbs and clean all contact areas and inspect the bulb filament. Sounds like a no brainer but I bought a 57 Karman Ghia and only 1 headlight with only 1 beam and 1 tail light and no brake lights, and you guessed it, it was all the bulbs had burned out over the years.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Sounds like a no brainer
A lot of that going around. My side markers were not working. I eventually figured out that when I installed them I didn't include bulbs. They are much brighter with bulbs in them. Smile
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

4 for 4. That was more involved than I expected but sjbartnik's suggestions did the trick. I ended up repairing the fuse holder, soldering 2 wire breaks, and replacing a burned out bulb.

Life is good.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues - related? Reply with quote

SWEET!

(I knew I shouldn't have jinxed it by saying that the reverse lights were easiest)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: