Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

iheartstrangers wrote:

I've also learned that the ET is 37, which is the same as the stock wheels, right? Any chance that I will not need spacers and bolts?

That depends on the width of the wheel. If they are 15x7s then you will definitely need spacers on the front. The rear could be installed without spacers, but since the rear track width of the 2wd Vanagon is already 16mm narrower than the front track width, it looks really odd without rear spacers, especially once you add front spacers since that increases the track width discrepancy. In addition, with the correct rear lug nuts, the stock rear studs are right at the minimum as far as safe thread engagement is concerned. Adding rear spacers will make the final installation look better and will add stability (wider track width). Adding longer rear studs will improve the thread engagement and will allow you to run the rear spacers.

No matter what you do, assuming the wheels are 15x7, you will definitely need new front lug bolts, front spacers and new rear lug nuts. There's no safe way around that. If you want to make the installation the best it can be, you will want to add rear spacers and studs as well.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently machined a set of steel wheels. Was a bit of a shaky set up, I shot for nominal 67 mm bore as I wasn't sure I could hold to 66.56 mm. They fit up on the hubs fine.

Pics etc here.

https://shufti.wordpress.com/2016/07/09/vanagon-boring-steel-wheels/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Waiting to get my wheels back so I can make sure measurements and ask a few final questions.

Thanks so much for your help. You really are saving the day (and my wallet).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I picked up the wheels from the machine shop today. The center hole is just lovely. Thank you for the correct measurement.

The wheels are VW Ronal wheels and they measure 15 x 8 with a 37ET.

I put one on the front and wasn't able to secure it because it is too deep and, as you said, I will need longer bolts.

Would you mind giving me some specific recommendations for what to do from here? Namely, what spacers and bolts do I need for front and back?

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

iheartstrangers wrote:

The wheels are VW Ronal wheels and they measure 15 x 8 with a 37ET.

Did this measurement come from throwing a tape measure over the entire width of the wheel? I'm guessing so. The wheel size should be cast/stamped into the wheel somewhere and I would be willing to bet that your wheels are 15x7, not 15x8. Wheels are measured inside the rim lips from tire bead seat to bead seat.

Assuming they are 15x7, I would recommend 10mm spacers for the front and rear. Small ball seat (not large ball like the Vanagon lugs) front lug bolts, longer rear studs and small ball seat rear lug nuts would round out the parts package.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

You are right again! 7J x 15H2

Is there a preferred recommended place for buying said spacers, lugs, and bolts?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

iheartstrangers wrote:
You are right again! 7J x 15H2

Is there a preferred recommended place for buying said spacers, lugs, and bolts?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Um, yeah. Though he'd never toot his own horn, I'm happy to. T3Technique! (Christopher's business) THE BEST customer service and expertise.
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wonderful!

Thank you!
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

If I may...

Just one more question (I think).

With switching from 14's to 15's, what should I consider for tire sizes? Is there an optimal size for driving around the country?
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

You've probably discovered the tire thread by now...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507

I don't want to sully up the wheels thread, but do some reading, with a careful eye towards getting a tire with appropriate load rating (doubly true as you have an adventurewagen ie; super-heavy).
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks to Christopher at T3 Technique, I now have my C class 17" rims mounted up with new spacers and stud kits. Went with Khumo Ta71 Solus' front and rear (staggered fitment) with 225/50/17 front and 245/45/17 in the rear. With all new suspension springs,Powerflex bushings and shocks, she's sitting pretty tough. Firm ride, but should handle twisty roads and spirited driving well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

THANK YOU!
Bladeserpent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would 18x8.5 et30 work on a 82 Vanagon? What kind of modifications would i need to do? All I read about was possible trouble with the little center hub where the speedo goes, not sure about anything else. I'm trying to fit these exact wheels http://www.aspiremotoring.com/products/esr-wheels-sr02-gold
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Bladeserpent wrote:
Would 18x8.5 et30 work on a 82 Vanagon? What kind of modifications would i need to do? All I read about was possible trouble with the little center hub where the speedo goes, not sure about anything else. I'm trying to fit these exact wheels http://www.aspiremotoring.com/products/esr-wheels-sr02-gold

Unfortunately 8.5" wide is not a good fit on the front. The additional width forces the wheels outward and with the 2wd Vanagon's front track width already being wider than the rear, it forces wheels out too far to look decent and it causes tire to fender clearance issues. In addition, due to the Vanagon's large hubs, you would not be able to run center caps unless you made something custom.

Nothing is impossible, but that size and those wheels are not necessarily recommended.

Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Anyone recognize these?

Posting says they are 17 inch, 5X112 and were formerly on a 1998 A4.

Really like the look of them and I anticipate the center bore will be too small...but I would love to know more about them and If they would work on 84 2wd.

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Anyone recognize these?

Really like the look of them and I anticipate the center bore will be too small...but I would love to know more about them and If they would work on 84 2wd.

Got a link or picture?

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Chris - I am loving the look of these wheels but they are 16" x 7.5" et45. Is this doable for a Syncro with spacers or is the width too much?
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Anyone recognize these?

Sure do...lol....it was there when I previewed it.

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
iheartstrangers wrote:

I've also learned that the ET is 37, which is the same as the stock wheels, right? Any chance that I will not need spacers and bolts?

That depends on the width of the wheel. If they are 15x7s then you will definitely need spacers on the front. The rear could be installed without spacers, but since the rear track width of the 2wd Vanagon is already 16mm narrower than the front track width, it looks really odd without rear spacers, especially once you add front spacers since that increases the track width discrepancy. In addition, with the correct rear lug nuts, the stock rear studs are right at the minimum as far as safe thread engagement is concerned. Adding rear spacers will make the final installation look better and will add stability (wider track width). Adding longer rear studs will improve the thread engagement and will allow you to run the rear spacers.

No matter what you do, assuming the wheels are 15x7, you will definitely need new front lug bolts, front spacers and new rear lug nuts. There's no safe way around that. If you want to make the installation the best it can be, you will want to add rear spacers and studs as well.

Excellent thread.

For a Syncro, would the 15x6.5 ET37 wheels fit with 205 or 215 tires without spacers, after boring out the center to the 66.56mm diameter?

Thanks for the guidance.
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Not sure if this is helpful for folks, but Christopher at T3 was a godsend and the only reason I was able to sort this out.

The front set went on like a breeze. The hiccup in the rear was the axle nuts. After soaking them in Kano Kroil and destroying a breaker bar, I got someone with a better/bigger breaker bar to help get them started for me. I also had to pound the daylights out of the drums to free them. After all that, though, everything was very smooth.

15 x 7 Passat wheels. ET 37. 10mm spacers on front and back. New studs, nuts, and bolts. Tires are 215 65 15. And I still have room.

I had little money and loads of time. It is very possible to do this on a budget.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 131 of 174

Jump to: