Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
...Alter your driving habits to take a break every 60-90 minutes...

That would help on a short trip but if you are covering 2000 miles in a couple of days to get to the other side of the continent, a break every hour and a half is going to make for long days and will eventually not be enough to convince your right leg that this is fun.
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

My first 500+ mile trip to Atlanta was painful. I either need cruise or recaros or both. I've been looking for eurovan im but I'm told not to get my hopes up for those
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Abscate wrote:
...Alter your driving habits to take a break every 60-90 minutes...

That would help on a short trip but if you are covering 2000 miles in a couple of days to get to the other side of the continent, a break every hour and a half is going to make for long days and will eventually not be enough to convince your right leg that this is fun.

Not trying to start a fight but Ive learned to scale back the number of miles per day on a long trip. Remember, it isn't as much fun for those not driving.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice but cruise control will actually help me to relax and enjoy the ride.

It's going in.

Ever have a bad knee? The very act of depressing the gas pedal causes incredible pain? Hard to relax with intense knee pain.

Yes..... Been to the doctor, knee is good, strained it, need not to use it but that's not possible for 3 1/2 more weeks......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Link to my installation thread for the Rostra in an automatic 2.1 Vanagon.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8159749#8159749

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

garden tractor... vanagon... same difference!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

I have the GW/Rostra system.

I first installed it in my 91 Westy when the van had the original boxer motor. Now I have a Bostig. Works the same either way.

The cruise will not tolerate hills--it will let go easily in situations where rolling hills are present. That is my only complaint about it... otherwise, it's a good system. I found an original VW cruise control turn signal stalk on eBay and used that with the GW system.

I've thought a lot about putting the servo in the engine compartment and connecting to the Bostig's throttle lever directly... that would require a long wiring harness and I can't be sure that setup would really improve performance. Honestly I think the Rostra system's problems could be resolved with better programming.

I just drove 285 miles this morning from Holly Beach, Louisiana to Austin, Texas with the cruise.

kourt
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

i always turn off cruise in hilly terrain or up steep grades like bridges. It feels weird not being in control in cases like that. plus in my jeep i hate it when the thing downshifts and lurches going up bridges, leaves a cloud of diesel soot and no one can see behind me Twisted Evil .
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Trash this idea.

Why do you advise trashing the idea of one of the best conveniences that one can add to a van? What's next? Trash the idea of water cooling? The idea of heat? The idea of a/c? The idea off a windshield protecting us from wind, bugs and rocks? The idea of the internal combustion engine propelling us forward so we don't have to walk?

Yeah, we should all trash those ideas and become superior beings through needless inconvenience and suffering.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Trash this idea.

Why do you advise trashing the idea of one of the best conveniences that one can add to a van? What's next? Trash the idea of water cooling? The idea of heat? The idea of a/c? The idea off a windshield protecting us from wind, bugs and rocks? The idea of the internal combustion engine propelling us forward so we don't have to walk?

Yeah, we should all trash those ideas and become superior beings through needless inconvenience and suffering.

It's an optimization of dollars exercise. For most, adding a $500 option is $500 they don't have to spend on something else. I was relating my experience that cruise ( which I have on every one of my cars) can be lived without even on a 4-5 hour drive.

I did forget Daves medical complication which makes it much more valuable to him.

I'm surprised, for a manual or locking automatic, one can't make a cruise servoed to the tach signal pretty cheap. ABs sensors are another input signal that could be used although no one s going to let you mess with ABS one Legal gets involved.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

FWIW I do not have any issue with the Rostra unit cutting out... Confused

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Rostra's online instructions AND GoWesty's printed (PDF) instructions both go into the various settings of the dip switches on the control unit.

GoWesty is very clear that adjustment of these switches is to be expected and normal until you hit the right settings for your unit.

They stress that the unit be mounted in such a way that easy access to the switches is possible because of this adjustment need.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
FWIW I do not have any issue with the Rostra unit cutting out... Confused

same here - even on hills it holds, whether the VW engine could hold up is a different situation. this the subi its a nicer experience.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

gowesty vss is back in stock ...
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

I bought the GoWesty Cruise Control System and had it installed by Westy Werks out in San Luis Obispo.

It's been absolutely freaking amazing. It works to perfection. I love it. Extremely happy.

I chose the wireless system.
HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

I really want to put in CC. The 4400 miles I did to Syncrofest and back was very uncomfortable at times.
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

HENDO wrote:
I really want to put in CC. The 4400 miles I did to Syncrofest and back was very uncomfortable at times.

I highly recommend the gowesty cruise control system with the wireless system.

It works perfectly, every function. I can't attest to installation ease though, as mine was installed by Westy werks.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

Installed an Audiovox unit many years ago in my 87 stock manual tranny Westy and it worked very well. Hid the servo under the rear seat with the tach feed off the coil and no issues with the 'clicking noise' from the servo. Worked great on the relativity level areas and would stay engaged on hills but wouldn't hold the speed. Some years ago the van was converted to an automatic transmission still with stock 2.1 eng and the CC would not work anymore. Added a vacuum canister and a VSS from Go Westy and changed the program switch settings to reflect auto trans with VSS tach feed, reinstalled the little bridge connector for auto trans but it still wouldn't work. After playing with it over a period of time I finally got it working by going back to the manual trans setting with the coil tach feed and trying different settings for the sensitivity options. I may yet install the included magnetic sensor pickup for the axle because I feel the unit is not working as well as it could because of the coil tach feed and the RPM losses in the torque converter. Still, it works well enough now to give my leg a rest on long trips.
One last note: I don't know why the Go Westy VSS did not work with the unit. Maybe it's not putting out a signal or the number of pulses supplied are not compatible with the unit. If anyone knows of a simple way to check it's output I'd love to hear from you but I don't consider driving around with an oscilloscope on the dash to be 'simple'.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control 2016 Reply with quote

My servo unit has been in the engine compartment the whole time - a hostile environment but still works so no diaphragm failure yet. Lower right corner:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installing one of these in a 87 Syncro with power steering…wish I could put the servo in same place as shown in photo but no room because of power steering hoses & tank.
Installed one in my camper under the rear seat but don't feel that's a good option in the 7 passenger Syncro because of the constant relay clicking noise…not closed in enough to dampen the sound.
Anyone have the servo in another location in the engine compartment? Love to see a photo.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: After Market Cruise Control: What's available in 2016 Reply with quote

I have a manual transmission, 1990 Westy syncro, with 2.5 Subaru Turbo (conversion by Lucas at Wild Westy).

My Van had VW factory installed OEM cruise, but it did not work well at all with the replacement motor - would surge, coast, surge, coast.... very annoying.

I installed the GW kit (Lucas did, actually), and it works great. I've done at least 1500-2000 highway miles, with no trouble. It will surge/coast a tiny bit... but seems to be dialled in well.

Much more comfortable ride with a working cruise control.

I tend to set mine to 65-70mph. This seems to be the most comfortable cruising speed, imho... even though the engine might be able to push me along faster... 65-70mph just "feels right."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: