Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you restore the inside of this vent?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: How do you restore the inside of this vent? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've got rust inside the air vent above my decklid. You know, the vent between the rear window and the decklid shown below.

I think I can figure out how to get the rust out. But how do you paint it and make it look decent?

(note: in case you're wondering, in this photo there is some dried wax or something on the bottom of the tines on the air vent that cleaned up nicely...that's not rust).

TIA,

Steve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CB75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the inside of this vent? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I read it here a while ago that you could either drill it out and remove it. Then paint it outside the car and speed grip it back in when the car is painted. And also one person just kinda stuck a gun in there got it covered good and then wiped the runs away on the grill. that's prob the route I'm gonna go
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the inside of this vent? Reply with quote

Airbrush?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the inside of this vent? Reply with quote

Small spot sand blaster & then air brush.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the inside of this vent? Reply with quote

Sounds like it's air brush for the win!

I was toying with the idea of getting one anyway to do spot painting of the interior, so this should work well. Wish I had thought of it as the solution for my vent.

Thanks all!

Hmmm...any suggestions for a cheap sand blaster that will actually work? I own a nice air compressor if that matters.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: How do you restore the inside of this vent? Reply with quote

If you want the sandblaster just to remove the rust inside the vent area, why not just spray some Ospho in there, rinse it and then paint.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: