Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Rally Beetle
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakescronje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: My Rally Beetle Reply with quote

Hi
Jakes here from Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
I am new to your forum and thought I'll share my Beetle with you.
It is a 1978 Salzburg Rally Replica.
Completed a few months ago it was built as a fully functional rally show-car and famous for "being too pretty to race" Smile We eventually raced it and recently finished Day 1 (5 Stages) of the 2016 Volkswagen National Rally successfully We entered against many Works Teams just to prove what the car can do. Was the absolute crowd favorite at the rally event. Build by GMP Motorsport, Port Elizabeth, South Africa - very well known for building very successful historical rally cars. Mike Bishop built the engine. Done 1 500 kms only. 1835 cc big bore kit, 276 degree race cam, competition big valve heads with stainless steel valves, runs unleaded fuel, dual 40mm downdraft carburetors. Full-flow oil system with high-flow Melling oil pump and external oil cooler and remote oil filter, Bosch electronic ignition, high pressure fuel pump with fuel regulator. Polyurethane engine mounts. Rally bash plate. Custom built stainless steel 4-1 exhaust system. Custom twin Donaldson air intake system mounted inside car. Big hydraulic disc brakes front and rear with upright hydraulic handbrake. Rear suspension modified. Bilstein shocks all round. Gearbox mounts strengthened. Full GMP roll cage and kitted out with everything needed inside a rally car like ATS safety harnesses, Cobra bucket seats, fire extinguishers, GPS odometer, Safetrack bracket, Intercom system, helmet net etc. Running 13 x Speedline Corse (5x135PCD 15" S2000 spec) rally wheels with Dunlop tyres. 9 dry and 4 wets. Car handles like a dream, has incredible stopping power and is very fast. No expense was spared during the build. A very special VW Smile
Me and my navigator had an absolute blast against the likes of Geniel de Villiers (Dakar winner) and other top drivers. The Beetle had a HUGE following from the crowds which made it even more special.
Going to enjoy being part of THE SAMBA forum.
Regards
Jakes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My Rally Beetle Reply with quote

Excellent!
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Rally Beetle Reply with quote

Applause That looks like a lot of fun on four wheels!
Jakescronje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Rally Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks. I see you have another Rally Beetle on here raced by the Huebbe brothers. AWESOME to see more rally Beetles.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Rally Beetle Reply with quote

Very nice!

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: