Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In-line AC System | In Progress
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
forrest.whitmore wrote:
Thank you to those who are genuinely interested. I'll post updates as I go.

@Andrew A. Libby: I was waiting for you to find the answer to your question.

It can be found on Page 1:

forrest.whitmore wrote:
In regards to the hot-side air being removed from the interior, it technically isn't being removed from the vehicle, but rather cooled within the vehicle.

That doesn't answer the very specific question that I have repeatedly asked. It is a vague answer that at best implies a complete violation of the laws of thermodynamics. That 'answer' is the reason I have repeatedly asked the more specific question.

Take 5: Are you planning on having both the 'hot' and 'cold' heat sinks exposed to the air of the vehicle interior?

A simple 'Yes' answer would suffice and go to show a design concept that cannot work. A 'No' answer would require further explanation as to how you plan on mounting the device and routing the airflow in order to isolate the 'hot' side air from the 'cold' side air.

A simple 'Yes'. Thanks for your input.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Thank you for the definitive answer.

As has been mentioned by myself and others, having both 'hot' and 'cold' sides exposed to the air in the vehicle interior, any heat that is moved from the cold side to the hot side will remix in the interior of the vehicle and there will be no cooling effect. The extra heat generated by the device itself in moving the heat from the cold side to the hot side will be added to the vehicle making the end result that you will add heat energy to the vehicle.

Here's a quote from one of your early posts in this thread:

forrest.whitmore wrote:
I have designed it in such a way that the maximum amount of heat is transferred to the larger heat-sinks. The inlet of the in-line AC system is equipped with small vents that blow air onto the larger heat-sinks, reducing the temperature further, thus reducing the temperature of the 'cold' heat-sinks on the interior of the device.

If I am understanding your post correctly, you are attempting to route the air from the 'cold' side (inside the 'tube) onto the fins of the 'hot' side heat sink in order to 'reduce the temperature further.' I assume the little cutouts in the tube are the 'vents' you refer to.

Is that a correct interpretation of your post?

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I would most certainly be interested in the final data of this experiment.
Ambient temps, final temp inside of the vehicle, with how many banks of the coolers, how they were powered up for how long, with what for power to get to the anticipated temp inside of the van.

In life there is no free lunch, you're going to have to pay for this allegid miracle AC set up one way or another.

Interesting.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Dave and Forrest:

I am all for a respectful dialogue on technology and its application to our antique vehicles. I meant no insult to Forrest in using Wile E. Coyote for a bit of levity and apologize if it was taken that way. Having said that, even great minds have proposed unworkable ideas, such as Tesla proposing wireless world-wide mains power supply (and falsely claiming he made it work).

I concede that for isolated spot cooling in the ovens we call Vanagons, the Peltier approach may be doable. Is spot cooling what you envision, Forrest?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I believe that this exersize in free AC is beyond Tesla.

Enrico Fermi would be the guy to solve this equasion.

This is one of those quests for perpetual motion, which I am pretty sure will not be solved in the Vanagon Forum at the samba.com.

Won't happen.
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:

@Keane:
Does this fall under the definition of support and constructive criticism?
Keane wrote:
Can you cool a house by opening the freezer door and putting a fan in front of it? Without exhausting the hot side air you are essentially doing the same thing.

Absolutely, and it was an attempt at engaging in "professional discussion." To not point out potential issues that I see and just say great job would be the exact opposite of support.

Hopefully you take that and similar statements in a way that spurs thought and research. Not in a way where you are insulted and dismissive about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

^^^ Very well said. ^^^
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

So as I Understand it, with both hi and low temp inside the Bus, if the interior of the bus is considered to be the closed system, this unit is a.....

6 amp * 14 Volt ...approximately 84 watt heater.

Please consider retitling the thread for accuracy.

* I got the units right this time!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Forrest:

Keep up the designing, and testing, great to see this in progress. Valuable portions of this thread that I see as "in progress":

1: test this unit inside a large cooler or similar enclosure, check overall temps of whole boxed in unit/space.

2: take a flexible vent pipe, such as a clothes dryer exhaust vent, make a loop with a small fan inside it, kind of a doughnut looking thing connecting the two ends of your design -- cooling fins inside, heating fins not included. Blow a normal box fan, such as a household window/box fan at the outside. Take temp inside the flexible loop.

Regards!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I was thinking that a good analogy for this project is to think of 'Heat' as 'Water' and 'Cold' as 'Dryness'. You cannot create dryness except by removing water. The peltier is like a water pump that moves water from the drier side to the wetter side. For each unit of water that it moves to the wet side, it also pumps an additional unit of water from outside the vehicle into the wet side. If you remove a ml of water from the dry side to the wet side, you end up with 1ml less of water on the dry side, but 2ml MORE water on the wet side than when you started running the peltier. If you do not vent the wet side to the exterior of the vehicle, the amount of water inside the vehicle progressively increases because none of the water can leave the vehicle and the way the peltier functions, it just keeps adding water. You cannot use the 'dry' air to 'dry' the wet side because exposing the drier air to the wet side, just makes the dry air more wet than it was when you started.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

OK, I stand corrected.

I caclulate an 84W Peltier will lower the Van temperature by 15 degrees Nivlek - using the more common Nivlek units used by AC world, but one Nivlek is the same size as a degree Centrigrade

ABS(Nivlek) = Centrigrade
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, analogies and calculations.

I just received a dual-channel thermometer and I will be doing some tests in the near future.

I will be testing v1, however, I am in the process of designing v2 that will be more efficient, simplified, and addresses condensate.

Synthead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

How did your tests go?
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Synthead wrote:
How did your tests go?

Hi Synthead,

The tests on v1 went pretty well. The air exiting the duct was approximately 55F/13C. This test was done with a small blower motor ---> duct --> device --> duct. The blower doesn't have a speed setting, so I have yet been able to test the temperatures at varying fan speeds.

I already mentioned this about a month ago, but I am in the process of designing v2 that aims to be more efficient, simplified, and addresses condensate. There are geometry changes in v2 that focus on equaling the duct profile area with chamber profile area. I have the rough design done, however, I am looking for a heat-sink manufacturer that can help me create a custom piece.

Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I gotta grab a seat for this project!
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Solar radiation is about 890 watts per sq. meter at sea level on a sunny day. The exposed surface area of a Vanagon is at least 3-4 sq. meters so you are looking at 3000+ watts of energy hitting the car. Even with most of that being reflected and re-radiated back out into the environment you are looking at hundreds of watts of energy being added to the interior of the car. An 84 watt peltier cell will never keep up. Not to mention there is nowhere for the heat to go but back into the van!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: