Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 ground strap from battery
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: '71 ground strap from battery Reply with quote

Howdy, I just broke off the bolt that holds the battery ground strap to the body on my '71 Westy. My question is, is the nut that it goes into a captive nut? I'm wondering if I need to drill and EZ out the broken bolt or if the nut is just corrode to the body and I can just whack it until it loosens. It's tough to see in to that stiffener bracket where it resides.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 ground strap from battery Reply with quote

The nut is welded to the body IIRC.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 ground strap from battery Reply with quote

Damn! You're fast! I was afraid of that.....Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 ground strap from battery Reply with quote

don't overthink this. The body is ground. Drill a hole and bolt the ground strap to the body.( I'm guessing if the nut rusted off your vehicle is a driver,not a concourse show vehicle)

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 ground strap from battery Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
don't overthink this. The body is ground. Drill a hole and bolt the ground strap to the body.( I'm guessing if the nut rusted off your vehicle is a driver,not a concourse show vehicle)

Or find one of the zillions of bolts nearby to attach the ground to!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 ground strap from battery Reply with quote

Definitely not a show rig.... I do however like to do things properly where possible. After attempts to drill and extract using penetrant, extractor, heat and my biggest 10R square jaw vise grips, I gave up and drilled/tapped the captive nut and put a new bolt in. The real pisser is that the brand new ground strap I bought is 1/2 " too short! I guess I should measure stuff more carefully, not the supliers fault. Now to research who I bought it from.... It's been a few months and I bought parts from multiple sources. Thanks all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: