Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spray gun and paiting a car questions.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

I have a question for the experienced painters out there.

I have painted a few cars, but it's been 20+ years.

I'm in the middle of doing a squareback for my daughter, I have it primed and I'm finish sanding it now before paint.

I jammed the car a couple weekends ago and I'm really struggling with orange peel.

I'm using a 20+ year old Binks 2001, and I really feel like the orange peel is coming from the gun. When I spray a test panel with a light "mist" coat, it just doesn't look very smooth. I've rebuilt the gun, tried different air pressures etc......

Here's my question, do you think it would be beneficial to just buy a new gun? I don't want to buy a super expensive gun because I don't know when I'll use it again. Are there any guns out there that are maybe in the $100 range that will spray nice and smooth?

I don't really want to do an HVLP gun because I don't think my compressor has the volume, but I've never used one so I don't know.

I will be renting a spray booth when it's time to spray it, so I guess I could use an HVLP, but it would be my first time using the gun and I really don't want to blow thru $700 in paint and have to start over.

Suggestions????

I want to paint the car myself, just a pride thing. I'm also kind of hoping the painter at the booth I'm renting might be up for going in with me and making sure I don't "F" it up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

Well what size compressor do you have?

What material are you spraying (including reducer and/or activator)?

What psi were you spraying at?

What tip size?

What was the temp when you were spraying?

Without knowing all that I can tell you that some people have had good luck with some of the sprayers at harbor Freight.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

It was about 75 degrees out, I tried from 15-30psi with my conventional Binks 2001.

I'm spraying a Valspar single stage, no reducer, only activator.

My compressor is 5hp, 26gal. 6.6scfm@40 psi and 5.8@ 90 psi.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

Hello,
You say, "No reducer", "only activator" There maybe your problem...
I've never heard of an automotive paint system that didn't use some type/sort of a reducer.
But I'm not up on the new automotive paint systems for Ca. regulations..That's a new one for me...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

What temp activator did you use?

I am far from a Binks expert but this from Banks suggest 60 psi

http://www.binks.com/portals/0/repository/77-2626.pdf
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

Hey man. You can try the devilbiss starting line gun, theyre really good and not expensive. You can pick one up with a 1.8 tip for songle stage/primer for about $80 with the cup on eastwood or amazon.
So with single stage you usually dont want to do a light misty coat, at least not too misty. You can, but every layer after that should be wet or medium wet. Without any reducer the material doesnt flow as much so misty coats arent a good idea. I would say if youre doing a test panel start off with a medium coat instead of a ligjt one. Usually light coats are so the paint doesnt react as bad of there is anything wrong with the panel and to provide a "sticky surface", i dont beleive in that. Haha i just wet the panel. As long as you clean it and prep it right you shouldnt have a problem. Just not too wet of a coat or youll have to wait longer for it to dry before the next coat and might get solvent pop and all that.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray gun and paiting a car questions. Reply with quote

The Valspar product I'm using does not require a reducer, but I feel like using one for the exterior of the car will help, so I plan on reducing it next go around.

As far as what temp activator, I'm not sure, I think the can says medium on it, either way, my temps are pretty mild here at home, and the paint supplier is in my neighbor hood, so I'm assuming he gave me the correct activator.

I'll check out the Starting line guns, maybe I'll just pick one up and play with it a little on the test panel I have.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: