Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Restoration Project
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter.karaganis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: 67 Restoration Project Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am about to begin a complete restoration of my '67 beetle. I've got a complete, 1-owner car in my garage. There is some rust, but it's definitely manageable. The floor pans need to be replaced, and the rear apron may need to be replaced, but other than that, she's pretty solid.

My question is whether it would be better to remove the body and take it to the paint shop off the chassis, or should i just remove everything from the body, but leave it on the chassis. I would think leaving it on the chassis would be the way to go. Either way I'm going to remove the seats, steering column / wheel, headliner, windows, panels, carpet, engine, transaxle, gas tank, etc. Any advice on this would be helpful. I plan to do all the prep work myself. My dad has a friend that owns a paint and body shop, so i'm going to have him do the actual painting.

TIA!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it on the chassis and remove everything that's not getting painted. If your gonna put new wiring in take the old one out. Give the painter just the body and parts. If you're going to detail the pan then try to remove most of the pan bolts. It helps the painter and crew. Since you say your car is complete label and store all the parts. So when it's time to put the car back together, the parts will be there not lost. Good luck!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonslo61 wrote:
Leave it on the chassis and remove everything that's not getting painted. If your gonna put new wiring in take the old one out. ::snip::. Good luck!!!

don't forget to pull a string or wire attached to the old wires,or you'll play hell getting em back in if you remove them

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter.karaganis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at her last night, and I think i've decided to go ahead and remove the body from the chassis. That wayI can go ahead and detail every piece of the car. If i'm going to do it, then I might as well do it right. Once I get the chassis complete, I'll prolly attach the body to it, and then take it like that to the paint shop.

THis leads to my next question. Can anybody point me in the right direction to removing the body? A write-up on this procedure would be great. TIA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
John Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site you might want to check out.
http://www.cirkut.com/bug/

slafa wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated even if they suck and are stupid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: