Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I'm also noticing that the carbs are offset in the sense that the left is further back than the right by several inches. That means a different set of manifolds in order to make a bar type linkage work, right?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

The offset is normal. Other wise how can an apposed engine work?
No you don't need new manifolds. The HEX bar linkage should compensate for the offset.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Not CSP linkage, looks more like BugPack copy of the old Deano setup.

Looks like there are only two CSP offerings for type 4, Porsche shroud IDF which would have the linkage arms towards the front

http://www.csp-shop.com/products/18235c.html

and hex bar IDF

http://www.csp-shop.com/products/23408b.html

Who ever set up your linkage up probably couldnt get it to work with the arms supplied and put the bends and flipped the linkage arms on the shafts to get it to fit. With the geometry on your setup I think it would be difficult to work properly.

CB and EMPI hex look easy to setup and geometry looks better.

EMPI

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CB

Below pic added for reference

george4888 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Seriously ----- what a messed up linkage system you have. Why did you not use the cross bar system ? What you have would be a nightmare to work and adjust with too many angles, too many turns on the linkage. I am surprised it works, at all.

With the cross bar system, you can at least get some clean 90 degree angles on the rods which drop down to attach to the carbs, giving you the same action on both of the dual carbs . The more angles you use, the more complex is your tuning of the carbs and to have the two open the same amount, when you press the gas pedal.

Try to buy the simple and straight linkage on any cross bar system and I think that will solve your problems. Also, you don't have to run the stock cable at some weird angle coming out of the rear sheet metal and can come up with a straight shot from the rear sheet metal hole to the drop down lever on the cross bar system.

----George K. ----
www.bayareavwclub.com
1969 Beetle, 2007cc engine

"Life is hard, but it's harder when you are stupid."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the honesty, I've never felt good about this setup but have always gotten it to work marginally. I just spent another hour in it today and at least got idle speed right and unisycnhed it fairly well. It's not responsive at the pedal and just feels sloppy. It snaps and pops but really doesn't backfire hard. I've got a couple camping trips this month and then I'm Gonna bite into it when I can garage it. The info earlier in this thread on setup was really helpful, so thanks for that!

Can I get a vote on which system? I have an old scat one in a box that is SO old it isn't even a hex bar it's a round bar. It may not look it from the engine bay but it's really a clean bus so I'm not really worried about going cheap.
Cheers and thanks, you've already saved me a ton of work stubbornly trying to make this function....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

The old round bar kits would always loose their sync as the clamp type arms would always work loose. Back in the day we would set the sync and weld them up then throw them away when they eventually wore out.

I have only worked with CB hex and the crappy empi kadron linkage on other peoples Type 4 stuff so cannot comment on the CSP hex or longevity of the other setups. I will say that on my upright engines Ive used the CB hex for over 25 years with success. Heims wear and the old aluminum hex also wore but I would usually get 8 or so years of daily driving use out of them before the slop would be too much for me to stand.

I would measure your throttle shaft linkage arms at half throttle to see if they are opening equally, with the popping you describe I think not. You might be synched at idle but you are not under load which makes one side of the engine have a lean condition which can lead to disaster. Type 4 bus heads have enough to deal with without lean conditions caused by poor linkage. I personally would fix it before any trips.
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I guess it is worth saying that I did not install this setup it came with the bus when I bought it in 99 for 200 bucks. At least I knew enough to know it had more than that value in the carbs alone.

If I go to a hex bar, how do I shift the throttle lever on the left carb to the front?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

72alpinewhitebus wrote:
If I go to a hex bar, how do I shift the throttle lever on the left carb to the front?

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6455
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Many thanks!
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Ok so here's the linkage I already have. Can I make this work?
From what I can find its a bug pack. I'm not against going for a new hexbar type but if this can work I'd rather not waste it...

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Sell it and go hex. The pinch bolts for the arms WILL loosen and you will loose sync at the worst time. The chrome makes it worse.

Back in the day we would grind down the chrome and add spot welds to hold the arms in place when there were no other options.
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Done! That's all the reassurance I needed. I found an empi hex bar on cip1 I'm gonna go with. Thanks.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

If you go empi hex make sure to buy extra plastic bushings as they do wear quick. Better yet machine the end balls to a cylinder shape and get bronze bushings from McMaster. I do the same for CB hex and they last a LONG time
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a '54 oval with a 1600 engine without heating. I want to mount dusl 36 idf but I don't know what manifols should I use. Straight or offset?

Greetings from Spain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

You can use either type of manifold just be sure to get the matching linkage base plates if using hex bar type.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Hi I have been going through this thread, very helpful I must say! I have been away from air cooled VWs for a number of years and even back then most of our stuff was box stock.
I recently picked up a Manx copy street buggy with a dual port 1600 in it, a 009 distributor and Kadrons. Ran ok on acceleration but popped and farted at steady speeds. fuel mileage was horrible and any where below 1200 rpm the front two cylinders cut out. No chokes on these carbs either or thermostat on the engine so cold starts were not fun and warm ups long and arduous. I could set idle speeds and idle mixtures to a reasonable idle cold or hot but never both.
to make a long story shorter I pulled the engine out to find that because these carbs are so tall the air cleaners were not serviced properly and did not have proper gaskets so the engine has been dusted and needs an overhaul. Oh and the distributor is warn out too.
Plan #2, I have a bus engine sitting around so decided to use it. It already has 96mm jugs in good shape, 66mm stroke with bottom end fair except the cam. It shows signs of severe heat as one head is cracked and the oil is burnt on black everywhere in the engine. The original twin carbs are so badly plugged up with dried on varnish from the old gas as to be pretty hopeless.
So a fresh set of rings, bearings and heads are the way to go. No problem, but... what to do for carbs? Basically a stock 1911cc engine with a mild street cam.
Here is my goals:
Budget project so don't want to buy carbs twice.
Need better clearance to be able to service the whole fuel system in place.
Drivability and fuel economy over all out power.
Don't want to have to tinker and tune every time we run this thing!
Want to retain vacuum distributor for the boost in part throttle mileage.
Need Chokes for starting - cold climate here.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Merv
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Can't sleep... try to cough up a lung every time I lay down... stupid cold!!

So - more questions to plague you guys with.

Ballancing the carbs. Ya, ya I know buy a snail or two and have at it. But - all you are doing with a snail is checking that all the cylinders are pulling the same vacuum - correct? Why not just attach a sensitive vacuum gauge to a port under the throttle plate? Or do we read it above the throttle plate? I have access to electronic vacuum gauges at work that read out in hundredths of an inch water column.

Now for setting up mixtures. Take it to a shop that does emissions testing for the government they say. Well, not aware of any such place in our part of the country. Emissions laws are not enforced here so even if by chance I found a machine in the city(minimum 3.5 hour drive)would they be competent on an air cooled engine? Or would I be driving away with carbs set up lean for a water pumper and burn up a new engine on the trip home?

Ok I can read the plugs. Sure. Somewhat time consuming no doubt as the engine needs to run on each circuit to be tested long enough to get deposits to read.

Many years ago when I was just a lad(0h Lord here he goes again the old fart!), Popular Mechanics ran an article on a product from England call Color Tune. Remember that? Basically it was a sparkplug with a glass insulator that you screwed into the engine and you could see the color of the flame as the engine ran. They even supplied a chart to tell you when the color was right. Made sense to me! Anyone have real life experience with those?

Thanks again, Merv.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Here is my goals:
Budget project so don't want to buy carbs twice.
Need better clearance to be able to service the whole fuel system in place.
Drivability and fuel economy over all out power.
Don't want to have to tinker and tune every time we run this thing!
Want to retain vacuum distributor for the boost in part throttle mileage.
Need Chokes for starting - cold climate here.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Merv

Sorry I didnt respond earlier, I dont get notifications reliably and did not see the post.

To start off the requirement for chokes is REALLY going to limit your options. To be honest Ive run dual carbs both weber and dellorto in climates that were ~freezing and other than a few pumps of the gas pedal they would start with little issue. I would have to keep my foot on the gas a little bit and other than a bit of burping and farting until the engine warmed up but that was it. If you are not running a thermostat that may take a bit longer to warm up but if you really are driving the buggy in below freezing temps you should have the thermostat installed and working properly anyway.

I would find a set of 40 IDF Webers with the cold start circuit, they will work well for mileage and performance when jetted correctly. A set of 30-32 venturies should perform well with your 1.9 build.

Most IDFs have the port to use a SVDA but the signal is limited and you may not get full vacuum advance if you are using an aftermarket unit (which is a whole other can of worms). A CB black box would probably be a better option so you can use the available manifold vacuum to tune for max advance.

For the height issue I would use some short Type 3 manifolds for ease of service.

As mentioned earlier the key to trouble free dual carb use is quality linkage. Since the use of short manifolds maybe the CSP would work but check for fitment before purchase. Maybe the Sync Link would work if the CSP does not.

As far as tuning, a wideband would be the best as it allows real time actual load info. Read this thread for the basic info and what is required.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837

Old carb sync was done with vacuum using 4 channel manometers. Some IDFs have the tuning ports next to the idle mixture screws, in your situation where head space is limited this may make it much easier to sync.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Sorry I didnt respond earlier, I dont get notifications reliably and did not see the post.

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to think no one was looking at this thread any more. No I do not get notifications to anything I have posted on the Samba. Not sure whats up there.
AlteWagen wrote:
To start off the requirement for chokes is REALLY going to limit your options. To be honest Ive run dual carbs both weber and dellorto in climates that were ~freezing and other than a few pumps of the gas pedal they would start with little issue. I would have to keep my foot on the gas a little bit and other than a bit of burping and farting until the engine warmed up but that was it.

Yes down to freezing it is a pain in the rear to start and warmup a car without a choke AND without a thermostat! It had better have a very quiet exhaust too or others will be letting you know that you are a PITA to them too! This no chokes/no thermostat "wisdom" that was born in the '60s in the Southern US by prominent VW 1/4 mile racers and is taken as the "gospel" still to this day causes the rest of us untold grief not only in finding suitable parts for our VWs but more so in trying to tune them!
Sorry about the rant but now you know how I feel!
Ok, so Webers, Dellortos ect are not suitable for use below freezing. Got it! Explains why they are rarely ever seen here.
AlteWagen wrote:
If you are not running a thermostat that may take a bit longer to warm up but if you really are driving the buggy in below freezing temps you should have the thermostat installed and working properly anyway.

I will take that a bit further and say that in my part of the world a thermostat is needed year round. Even in our 3 weeks of "summer" early mornings are often only 6 0r 7 degrees off freezing. Keeping a low end carb tune without is impossible as you do not have a predictable light load engine temperature to base your adjustments on. Idle performance then changes from lights to lights depending on the distance between lights and the posted speed limit!
AlteWagen wrote:
I would find a set of 40 IDF Webers with the cold start circuit, they will work well for mileage and performance when jetted correctly. A set of 30-32 venturies should perform well with your 1.9 build.

Most IDFs have the port to use a SVDA but the signal is limited and you may not get full vacuum advance if you are using an aftermarket unit (which is a whole other can of worms). A CB black box would probably be a better option so you can use the available manifold vacuum to tune for max advance.

Ok, looks like I bought the wrong distributor. I know nothing about CB black boxes, need to research here.

AlteWagen wrote:
For the height issue I would use some short Type 3 manifolds for ease of service.

I can't see how a type 3 manifold will fit a type 4 head unless there is some one making special manifolds to install type 4 engines into type 3 cars?
AlteWagen wrote:
As far as tuning, a wideband would be the best as it allows real time actual load info. Read this thread for the basic info and what is required.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837.

Again I know nothing about "widebands". Excellent link though and will give me a good start on the learning curve. Thanks!
AlteWagen wrote:
Old carb sync was done with vacuum using 4 channel manometers. Some IDFs have the tuning ports next to the idle mixture screws, in your situation where head space is limited this may make it much easier to sync.

I see on youtube the motorcycle guys are just using pop bottles with water fill. looks very simple and effective to me.

Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to reply. Merv
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I can't see how a type 3 manifold will fit a type 4 head unless there is some one making special manifolds to install type 4 engines into type 3 cars?

Sorry, midnight post brain fart! Still was thinking type I.

Looks like you are stuck with Solex if you want choke and short manifolds. If you go with the kadrons beware of the type 4 manifolds as they are machined incorrectly and cause the carbs to sit at an angle.

I wouldnt rule out dells or webers due to freezing temps especially since some versions come with cold start systems. I personally have not run them in temps below 25* so cant speak from experience. I did however run dells at 6K ft elevation daily with temps in the high 20s low 30s with no t stat and no cold start circuits with only a 5 min warm up.

Good luck with the build!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: