Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler neck component pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Wow!...nice. Thats interesting...the long straight filler with curved bottom instead of a segmented one like mine.

By the way...I tested the baked epoxy on one of my painted filler neck parts this weekend. Its not perfect. I soaked it...then let dry...then dipped it several times and let dry between each phase.

If you scrub on it will its wet it WILL start taking color off. However, it left alone it will work just fine. So...I think its good for external. It will eventually wash off of the inside of the filler neck I believe.

I am not that worried about the inside of the filler neck. The low oxygen and presence of fuel will keep it from rusting.

Also you can acid etch it and then let it flash surface rust and use phosphoric acid to convert and it will likely never rust in the presence of fuel. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

thanks for testing Ray.

oemwolf
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

An update since it was asked about:

After the questions of how well epoxy I am using has held up.....I am using VHT single part epoxy paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272035471779?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I submerged the short elbow in fuel after I was asked about it. It will soften the epoxy but as long as it is left to completely dry....it hardens back up with no issues.

I used no epoxy internally. This paint is just external. So...unless it leaks constantly...it should not be a problem.

As for my comment in this thread about priming the tank outside before painting with this epoxy:

In testing other suspension parts I painted with the same paint at the same time...I found these items to be true:

1. Since this is a single part ...non catalyzed epoxy...it lists no baking needed. That is true....however I found itaht it is tougher for scratch resistance if you can bake it at 175 to 195F for about an hour.

2. BECAUSE VHT is a single part, uncatalyzed epoxy....it is designed to spray onto bare degreased metal. The film strength adhesion on primed metal is slightly lower (maybe 10-20% difference from bare metal using ASTM D3359 variant test)......but.....it still rates a high 2B into 3B on the test grid on primed metal so it is plenty good on the exterior of the gas tank.

3. The VHT spray epoxy shows BETTER adhesion on metal that has been flash rusted and converted using a phosphoric acid converter....with no extra primer paint applied over the top....so just convert and cure...then spray epoxy and bake if you can. Its showed between 4B and 5B

In case you are wondering...this is what the ASTM crosscut adhesion tester chart looks like that I am referring to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Cool., thanks for the update Ray. Will keep this in mind.

After reading This Site link, I was toying with following the advice about having all of the filler pipe sections Zinc or Cad plated... since I have a lot of various other parts in need of replating.
Figured I would find a plating company or individual, and then repaint the external pipes with paint afterwards.

I'll eventually someday may get around to doing both. (have one set fully painted, and one set with outer paint/inner plating. Just for the heck of it since I have extra spares).

The other info with gas tank painting will come in handy as well. Very Happy

oemwolf
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:
Cool., thanks for the update Ray. Will keep this in mind.

After reading This Site link, I was toying with following the advice about having all of the filler pipe sections Zinc or Cad plated... since I have a lot of various other parts in need of replating.
Figured I would find a plating company or individual, and then repaint the external pipes with paint afterwards.

I'll eventually someday may get around to doing both. (have one set fully painted, and one set with outer paint/inner plating. Just for the heck of it since I have extra spares).

The other info with gas tank painting will come in handy as well. Very Happy

Zinc or cad would definately be good for longevity.

One thing you can look at on Eastwoods site for static items like the filler necks an pipes.....is look on Eastwoods site at their home Tin/zinc plating.

Some good reviews on it. Its definately a rust proofer. If you want it to look better you can burnish or pollsh it. Its not as hard as some platings from what I hear.....but for a part that geta no wear or scuffing...just bolt it up.....like the filler necks and gas tank.....it would be ideal. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: