Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

qwerty wrote:
I have had 2 painted - will check to see what the paint/flattener combination was and let you know. There were a few trials to get what we thought was right. I seem to remember is was some form of paint currently available for Mercedes bumpers....??
There are some pictures in the gallery if you search my name qwerty.

Great pictures of the '46. I'm interested in the colour code of the 'green' that the chassis is painted or was it simply matched from some old paint? Mine should be green as I've found some evidence of original inside the backbone.
Also, did you find evidence that the centre section of the backbone between the mats should be black not green like the floors and did the carpet not have aluminium rings around the various holes?

Any guidance gratefully received.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Rod,

Regarding the body paint finish I have some areas on my car still with original paint, the best is the rear firewall. My car is an August 47, L41 black delivered to Schultz, Essen. You are welcome to come and look if you are down this way. I am interested in the mix and paint type you go for, I want to get my car painted by the end of the year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Different topic, I have a hacked hole at the front of the tunnel where you have an inspection hatch. I was going to weld mine up, are you keeping it there to help with the brake rod maintenance/ install?

Cheers
Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Good to see this buzz of activity on the really old cars here in the UK.

As for maintaining a 'service' hole in your tunnel, it's not a bad idea if already there, but I would suggest that, as with aircraft practice, you make it more of a hole, than a square or rectangle if retaining it.

Any sharp angle will give rise to a 'stress riser' http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Stress+riser in an area, where you need to retain as much of the torsional strength of the back bone as possible.

If you replace the clutch and brake cables, along with the others, at this stage, then, with the amount of miles these cars will do in future, you shouldn't need to access things for a long time to come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the response about the paint finish, yours is the first one to come up that remains as original. I'd love to see it 'in the flesh' and take more pictures although how this is conveyed to the paint shop I don't know! If I get the chance to get down to you before your paint job begins that will be a bonus. I'll call you if the possibility occurs.

Re the hole in the front of the backbone. It was a butchered mess when Steve Hook had the car. He suggested that he could make a sound and strong inspection hole. This he has done by tidying up the shape and welding a frame around the inside which overhangs the hole and has threaded holes to secure the removable part. The new removable part has countersunk holes to take socket head screws. The whole thing being a good fit and flush with the original surface.

We're looking forward to Lavenham although the organisation has been a bit torturous at times. Around 150 entrants now and a few traders offering old parts.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Well the paint job has stalled a bit although with luck the car will go to a paint shop during the first week of October. We are away on holiday much of the time between now and then but this week I'm sorting the small parts that should go with the car to be painted. Whilst doing this I discover that the steering column clamp has the same green paint on its inner surface as that found inside the chassis backbone. This is also the same colour that the wiper mechanism mounting frame is painted.

Having been provided with a RAL colour chart by our good friend Martin Southwell my eyes see the nearest matching colour to be RAL6013.
Can anyone concur with this or provide another colour code that is a better match?

The next question is which other parts were painted in this green colour and NOT in the main body colour?
Steering column tube?
Seat frames?
Gear lever?
Pedal cluster?
Hand Brake lever?
Front suspension beam?
Torsion arms?
Torsion arm link?
Brake back plates?
Track rods?
Steering box?
Petrol tank?
Drive shaft tubes?
Gearbox mounting cradle?
Rear spring plates?
Rear torsion bar end covers?
Front & rear shock absorbers?
Plates under the body - floor-pan securing bolts?
And anything else that I have forgotten.

Your thoughts please.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

To kick things off, I can tell you with some degree of certainty, as this is the case with my car, and another 47 fuel tank I have from a similar vintage car I pulled apart years ago, that the fuel tank is painted in the same colour as the car.

However, as we know, 'Never say never, and never say always'!
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
Well the paint job has stalled a bit although with luck the car will go to a paint shop during the first week of October. We are away on holiday much of the time between now and then but this week I'm sorting the small parts that should go with the car to be painted. Whilst doing this I discover that the steering column clamp has the same green paint on its inner surface as that found inside the chassis backbone. This is also the same colour that the wiper mechanism mounting frame is painted.

Having been provided with a RAL colour chart by our good friend Martin Southwell my eyes see the nearest matching colour to be RAL6013.
Can anyone concur with this or provide another colour code that is a better match?

The next question is which other parts were painted in this green colour and NOT in the main body colour?
Steering column tube?
Seat frames?
Gear lever?
Pedal cluster?
Hand Brake lever?
Front suspension beam?
Torsion arms?
Torsion arm link?
Brake back plates?
Track rods?
Steering box?
Petrol tank? -- Body colour
Drive shaft tubes?
Gearbox mounting cradle?
Rear spring plates?
Rear torsion bar end covers?
Front & rear shock absorbers?
Plates under the body - floor-pan securing bolts?
And anything else that I have forgotten.

Yes I had, the cover for the brake cable head between the front torsion tubes?

Your thoughts please.

Original amended see above, thanks Martin.

kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Rod,

Exciting times Smile

On my black car most of that stuff which still has paint on it was originally black with the exception of the chassis and engine tin (dark grey) and the wiper mechanism which is green in og paint. Also one of the hubcaps I got recently from Charles is in original green paint but doesn't really count for my car Smile

I have been sorting through my stuff recently so I just checked and these parts have traces of og black paint (I am fairly certain its original, but can't say 100%) - frame head brake cable cover, lever shock mounting hardware, steering column, gear stick, fuel tank, drive shaft tubes, chassis washer plates, the seat frames were black but the rear spring section on the rear backrest was and still is in og green paint.

I think I told you before I plan to paint the chassis and engine tin grey but the front beam, axle tubes and brake lever etc black.

Cheers
Kev
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Maybe a blind shot, but a friend told me 73% gloss finish on old beetles was right. He used it on an oval, looked a little wrong on that one, but might match better on a 46.

Not black, but maybe the 73% gloss finish will show. New paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: