Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

Im having a rather odd problem with my rabbit. When i start out in first gear the engine begins to sputter as i accelerate. And this doesn't just happen in first gear it happens in every gear including 4th. Sometimes it clears up, but then it comes back and the steering wheel starts to vibrate from it. Im thinking possibly something to do with my fuel lines and the fuel getting caught up somewhere and it not flowing smoothly but i have absolutly no idea at all. Any advice would be appreciated because i need to drive it to university every day!!

Thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

Is it diesel or gas? If gas, is it fuel injected ot carbeurated? If gas, what condition are the spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor in? If new, make sure they are Bosch parts. VWs run like poop on champion, autolite & the rest of the non-factory parts, even platinum plugs have a tendency to foul.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

It's gas and fuel injected, I'll checkout the spark plugs. I recently changed out my fuel accumulator so that also could be the problem.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
If new, make sure they are Bosch parts. VWs run like poop on champion, autolite & the rest of the non-factory parts, even platinum plugs have a tendency to foul.

Bosch makes crap plugs... use NGK; their plugs are far superior to any other.

Is this a CIS-basic (no O2 sensor) or CIS-lambda (has O2 sensor) Rabbit?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

All of the newer VWs use NGK but the mk1 cars alway ran best with just the cheap copper Bosch plugs, until the NGKs were widely available. MK1 still dislike autolite, champion & the like. Also make sure that the distributor cap & rotor are the orange-ish Bosch only. Pepboys sold grey obey that worked for about 150 miles & autozone sold black ones that were better but only good for 1500. Someone makes an orange copy but it pretty subpar too.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

How old are your points?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
How old are your points?

Fuel injected rabbits had electronic ignition, in the US anyway.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
ps2375 wrote:
How old are your points?

Not true, my 1980 Rabbit had points and CIS.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

Interesting, I've never seen one. Check for that too.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Interesting, I've never seen one.

I think most were fuel injected from the beginning, but there were some that had no CAT's, some had carb's and around 1980 transistorized ign came on some and was mostly standard in 1981.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Interesting, I've never seen one.

I think most were fuel injected from the beginning, but there were some that had no CAT's, some had carb's and around 1980 transistorized ign came on some and was mostly standard in 1981.

Definitely a good idea to see if your car has points, if it does, it's a rarity & have probably been overlooked by most that have ever worked on it.

helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

Start by changing the fuel filter.
if it idles fine, but shudders under load, it is usually indicative of a clooged filter.
NOTE: the filter is designed to stop water from travelling through it, and the potential to damage the FI system, so 1 tank of water contaminated fuel is all it takes sometimes.

Secondly, check for smooth advance on the distributor. a hanging flyweight in the advance mechanism can cause all sorts of headaches.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
ps2375 wrote:
How old are your points?

Not true, my 1980 Rabbit had points and CIS.

Mine also.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Rabbit POWER LOSS Reply with quote

Have you changed the fuel filter and tune up parts lately . Also the distributor shafts wore out . Try to get the fuel pressure checked . Put a dwell meter on it and see how much the dwell changes . 49 state cars had points and cat converters & California cars had hall generators in distributors and cat converters . There were a few late July 49 sate cars that had hall generators. There were also a few hundred Chicago area Rabbits that had solex one barrel carbs that got good fuel mileage
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: