Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HWE Type 1 Rack?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: HWE Type 1 Rack? Reply with quote

Howdy -
A friend of mine is getting ready to move, and he's offered me a roof rack from his dad's old '62 Beetle. I went to look at it today, and we're trying to settle on what a fair price is.

The roof rack overall is in great shape - no rust, has that galvanized look, etc. The "load capacity" sticker is still firmly planted on the wood slats that are all in great shape.

The only marking I found on one of the vertical ribs the wingnut/clamp goes through is "HWE". I can find a ton of Type 2 info on HWE racks, but I'm having a hard time finding out about anything related to HWE racks for Type 1s. Anyone have any insights?
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most in this scene are lowballin tire kicking wafflers who'll beat their mom outta a deal...its refreshing to see a coupla cats trying to do fair business.Generally,depending on condition..and if the clips that hold it to the drip rail are there..Id say 150 to 250 bucks.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Most in this scene are lowballin tire kicking wafflers who'll beat their mom outta a deal...its refreshing to see a coupla cats trying to do fair business.Generally,depending on condition..and if the clips that hold it to the drip rail are there..Id say 150 to 250 bucks.

heh, thanks. I think that's about normal price for racks, but the HWE Type 2 racks I'm seeing go for nearly $1k.

Other than touching/seeing this one in person, I haven't found any hints *ever* of an HWE Type 1 rack.. so I'm also wondering if it's legit or if it's a knockoff.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the value but is it this rack?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For reference, a $1000 Bus HWE rack would have to be a full-length rack and those are not wood-slat, which is not a fair comparison to a Beetle rack.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not sure of the value but is it this rack?

For reference, a $1000 Bus HWE rack would have to be a full-length rack and those are not wood-slat, which is not a fair comparison to a Beetle rack.

That looks a lot like it, thanks Everett. I wasn't able to find anything on the classifieds, nor was I able to find anything out in my web searching..

I know that a Typ2 rack is going to be quite different than Typ1, but still curious. You've answered one of my questions, which is that it looks like it might have been a quasi-official VW accessory, which is more than I can say for the empi repro I have on the car right now. Smile
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Flat Four rack like that in the picture oh gosh 6 years ago for 50 bucks. The wood was patina till I sanded it and used linseed oil on it. I have turned down 250 for it as I cannot replace it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have on your hands sir is a true gem! Very nice! I suggest you get some roof rack locks ASAP. They can be broken off, but it least it will help you sleep a bit better at night in the event you leave the car parked for a long period of time.
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info on the rack that I bought can be found at http://1967beetle.com/roofrack/.

Thanks for letting me post there, Eric!
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariusstrom wrote:
More info on the rack that I bought can be found at http://1967beetle.com/roofrack/.

Thanks for letting me post there, Eric!

Of course!
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
eagle5127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: roof rack load sticker Reply with quote

Eric,

Have you considered offering a roof rack load sticker ? How are the yellow bottle washer stickers coming along ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool find. Wish I could come across an old one that won't break the bank to much. I did manage to pick up a knock down from ovals the other day and I'm loving it. Can't wait to see it in person.
Tiffostrander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: 5 wood slat aluminum Roof Rack...Who Made it? Reply with quote

I found a 5 wooded slat aluminum roof, I believe it is a Volkswagen, but I can not find any markings on it at all. How can I find out who made it and what it is worth?
[/img]
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HWE Type 1 Rack? Reply with quote

Here you go. It is a rather common, American bolt-together rack. I currently own my second one. I bought my first one in '86 for $5 and my second one at a VW swap meet two years ago for $20. I feel it's worth more like $75. As you know- it's assembled just like patio furniture from the 60s-bent tubes and full of simple SAE hardware. I assumed they were sold through Western Auto or Sears Automotive depts. back in the day.

They are neat- but not a VW accessory- just an accessory that happens to fit a VW. If you look closely, the clips do not specifically match the profile of VW rain gutters when tugged at the right angle. It will still stay on the car- but I only ever used mine for show. To get it strapped tight enough to grip the rails- it places pressure on the four feet against the roof. Add to that the drag of your vintage cooler collection- you are sure to dent your roof!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: