Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to buy first Porsche 911 SC
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhetro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Looking to buy first Porsche 911 SC Reply with quote

Hello, All!

Looking to buy a 911 for the first time! I know NOTHING about them, other than I've always wanted one. Not looking for anything new. I'm looking at anything from a late 70s to a late 80s model SC. No turbo -unless, it's too good to pass up (however, I think I should start without one). Don't want a ragtop, and don't really want to spend more than $50Gs? Don't know how realistic this is to get one in decent shape. I don't care about the mileage, and just want one that was babied and taken care of.
I currently have a 93 VR6 Corrado, which I love (and have owned for 19 years) But I'm starting to get nickel and dimed by it. I think it's time for an upgrade and thought by asking questions here.
Are there certain years within this range that I should stay away from?

thanks for reading!
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice SCs can still be had in the $20-30K range. First car? I'd always recommend a coupe, but if a semi convertible seems to be your liking, consider a Targa.

There were no bad SCs. The '78- 80 cars were a bit more simple than the '80.5-83 models, but it's practically a wash between them.

First air cooled flat six? Parts are brutally expensive. Currently finishing a mechanical refurb on an '80.5, and the invoice is tipping $20K. Top end overhaul without splitting the case or replacing the pistons & cylinders, a/c refurbishment for a hot climate, new clutch, struts, shocks, interior love & a tiny amount of bodywork. $20K.

Not getting rich on that either.
Rhetro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sat!

That's a hefty maint bill. But I can't expect anything less with a car that old. But I'm not looking for anything mint either. If I were to find something decent for 20K then, the other 20k or whatever could go to repairs. Again, I'm not concerned with the mileage, I just want something that someone really took care of so I don't have to worry about something too outrageous. I am looking for a coupe (I don't have hair anymore so a convertible would fry my brain -I hate hats). I'm getting that Zimmerman book to start reading about 'em. But I'm targeting a mid to late 80s 3.2 Carrera based on what I'm reading. I've heard about the AC refurb as well. And I live in S Texas. Our summers are brutal.

How hard is it to work on these things, anyway? I use to turn wrenches on F-16s back in the day. I'm not totally inept ;\

Thanks again!
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're accustomed to working on modern cars, they are extremely different as far as serviceability goes. Can't rush any job on these, must take your time doing everything.

The Retroair Deluxe A/C kit is by far the best upgraded ac system I've ever installed in a 911. It is expensive, but the upgraded condensers and evaporator, along with their high volume evaporator fan, keep a black car cold inside even in sweltering, humid weather.

Carreras did come with the easier to operate G50 transmission starting in '87, and the interiors are a bit more contemporary too.
Restomod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the two biggest things to look out for are rust and engines that are known for having major problems (pulled cylinder studs and weak rod bolts).
Rhetro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, Sat & Resto

I've heard about the A/C mod being well worth the investment without diminishing the value. I'm definitely going to be needing that here in south Texas as our summers are pretty brutal.
I spoke with an owner out in California that was telling me about the cylinder studs and rods, and to make sure that I get a PPI.. I'm interested in finding something that is a good driver vehicle. I.E., something that has been maintained, and can wait a little cosmetically. I know there are those that have completely shopped out their cars and are selling them from 40K on up. I don't mind finding something in the mid 20-30 and work up from there. I'm expecting the Zimmerman book tomorrow so I can start educating myself on this.

Thanks again!
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapped studs on SCs and carreras. Dilivar alloy all but eliminated stud pulling that plagued the 2.7s. It's an incredibly brittle alloy though and will snap like a pretzel in the desert.

3.2s had smaller, weaker rod bolts. Their rod journal diameter was increased due to some perceived weakness in the crankshaft, which resulted in an actual weakness of the rod fastener... A solution in search of a problem that conveniently created its own.
Rhetro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to read all about it!!
Just got the Zimmerman book!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhetro wrote:
Thanks Sat!

If I were to find something decent for 20K then, the other 20k or whatever could go to repairs.

Oh my.....

it's not just the money that you will throw at the car, you also have to do the (hours and hours of) work (otherwise you will have to throw even more money at the car....), and old Porsches WILL break down at some point.

Although, if you're a qualified jet engine mechanic, things are not that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: