Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreaded1 wrote:
This past Sunday I did my first RallyX in my daily driver a '05 Saab 92x
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a blast doing it but I every run I took I was worried about ripping off my exhaust or something more catastrophic. It is something I would really like to do again just not in my DD. I had mentioned to one of the organizers that I wanted to bring my rail to the next one. He told me they are not eligible because of this SCCA rule

Quote:
6.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof production based vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa-types with factory panel in place, t-tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection.

Does anyone know of a creative way to get a rail to pass this criteria, besides buying a baja?

"From the factory" means just that - sorry
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dreaded1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well I guess I will have to find some other mud pit to play in. I thought it was worth a shot.
QurtysLyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAT Motorsports #936
cjward22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maby i missed it above but how about the washington west coast area?
QurtysLyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAT Motorsports #936
jakehenes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubbe brothers race a beetle in rally America out of MO
It's called 100 acre wood.
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is into the T.D.R.A.

Texas Desert Racing Association has announced their 2015 Race Schedule.

Twin 150's - March, 27th/28th - Notrees, TX
Texana 180 Race to Midnight - July,10th/11th - Blackwell, TX
West Texas 200 - September, 25th/26th - Location to be announced

The Twin 150's will be a double points race. Points for the 2014 year end Championship as well as points for the start of the 2015 race season.

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Bonneville Off-Road Racing 2015 Reply with quote

Bonneville Off-Road Racing is back in 2015!

Please print out, share, stick it under some windshield wipers...we're looking for more 5's, 9's and 11's!

Poker Run at Eagle Mountain, Utah on May 2nd.

Vernal Race in Vernal, Utah on June 27th.

Potential race, definitely an "event" on September 12...in Utah.

Please follow us on Facebook, post up here, or go to or bor-racing.org for more info.

Thanks!
skorchindustries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Would a '73 Squareback be eligible as a Class 5 SCORE racer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

http://score-international.com/rulebook/class-5-rules/

Good question, my initial guess is no because it's not a "baja bug"

Quote:
This class is an open class and all components will be considered open unless restricted herein. Vehicles must have the external appearance of a "BajaBug".

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skorchindustries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
http://score-international.com/rulebook/class-5-rules/

Good question, my initial guess is no because it's not a "baja bug"

Quote:
This class is an open class and all components will be considered open unless restricted herein. Vehicles must have the external appearance of a "BajaBug".

I've read the SCORE rulebook and I don't see it saying that Type 3's are prohibited.

I can't imagine anybody wanting to run out to buy and cut up on a type 3, but I have a situation where my car was hit from behind, in a hit and run accident, and the whole car is twisted, so I'm trying to build something here. Similar to a "BajaBug".

Here's a fastback I feel would be a fun class 5 car, if it were permitted:

The reasons I imagine a Type 3 would be a great candidate for the Class 5 division is because a Type 1 and Type 3 share so many parts, i.e. transmission, motor, suspension.

If it is not eligible for Class 5 what other classes can it run in? Please don't say class 1 Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

1st off...
The types of car allowed are specifically identified in the 1st paragraph of the Class 5 rules. Type 3 is not in the list. Although a Porsche 911 or a 914 or 944 would be allowed. You can thank now X-Tech Chief Bill Savage for that. He allowed Porsche cars so his buddy could race a 911 back in the 80s. The rules don't say what CANNOT be used...They state what CAN be used. The list of cannots would be a seriously long list.

When other class rules changes calm down, maybe my friend and current Tech Chief Art Savedra will get around to fixing that issue. Lately he's been dealing with things like a Class 11 racer who has whined that without power rack and pinion steering, reinforced trailing arms, longer shocks, fabricated spindles, and high compression engines, Class 11 cars can't finish the 1000. Even though they have had one of the best finishing percentages since the late 1970s. Unfortunately, the guy got the ear of SCORE owner Roger Norman. The truck classes are causing lots of issues too.

Furthermore...A Class 5 race car these days really doesn't have much in the way of VW parts in it. A few still use 002 or 091 gearboxes, Some even still use a VW Type 4 engine. Not a single VW-manufactured suspension piece has been used in a SCORE Class 5 race car for many years.

Daryl's Type 3 is a sweet Baja. Not a "Bug", but in my view, Type 3s should ALWAYS have been allowed in Class 5 along with Ghias and Things.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skorchindustries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Things, Ghias and other VW's are mentioned in the rule book as being permitted.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

http://score-international.com/raceinfo/rule-book/class-5-unlimited/

Quote:
Vehicle must be a VW Sedan Type 1 Hardtop or Convertible. 181 Safari, 900 Series Porsche and Karmann Ghia are included

Type 3 is NOT listed. Whether I think it should be or not.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
bin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Colorado Offroad Racing

http://coloradooffroadextreme.com/desertracing.html

There is a monthly series at CORE which includes 1600 VW based vehicles.

Its pretty open- no requirements for strict class eligibility- it is open to any 1600 based vehicle. Show up with a reasonably safe car (and a helmet) and you will get to race.

Races last approximately 1.5-2hrs, and it is a relatively smooth course with no rocks. In other words, your vehicle will not be destroyed by running there and stock tires are more than fine.

Come see what its about- sit under the canopy in the shade, drink my beer, and swap lies!

Rob
Class 9 #975
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Any pictures from events or links to such?
SoCalBajas Member
bin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Eeek! Didn't see a reply got posted way back when.

CowPie 200 on the 28th!

Pics from one of the events:
http://www.jenhuskeyphotography.com/CORE/2016-Season/52916/Desert-Series-052916/

My class9 car:
bin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Another race this weekend at CORE- saturday this time.

Bring a buggy and race!

Or- the offer still stands to sit in the shade and drink my beer!

(maaaaybe you can have a sandwich even)
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Your Class 9 looks good.

I hope they step up their Tech Inspection. Not to exclude anyone, but to improve safety. There are some scary things I saw in those pics from the link you posted before. I understand they're not SCORE, but I'd hate for it all to come to a halt because somebody got hurt. Their Inspector probably needs a little training.
SoCalBajas Member
bin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

yeaaaaaah.....our tech inspection has become pretty....minimal, and there are DEFINITELY some shortcomings with some of the veee-hickles.

'Working on that' is probably the right way to phrase it.

Making some changes with the series, and more changes to come next year

One race left- Oct 22nd.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: