Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lootsIamYourFather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

My issue has been that every time I order a fuel filler neck hose for my 1968 Ghia, I get something that simply does not fit. Its to short and there is no bend or provision for the down tube from the filler door to the offset inlet in the tank.

Okay, so I wanna do a short write up on this... After tons of searching around and talking to Autovise Imports in Lynnwood, well I have come to a fix.

Autovise says I have the wrong tank.. I’m not totally convinced of that, but I am no expert... What I have appears to be bone stock...

The solution... From lots of searching here in these forums I see people order from Napa part number 1045... Straight tube and cutting to size. My problem has been that it is straight and the one that came with the car has an angle in order to line up. Order part number 1047 from Napa.. It has a 90 degree bend in it and simply cut it down for a perfect fit. Fuel flows as it should and fitment is much better. No kinks either... Sliding it over the flanges isn’t bad at all and once its done, a much better look and fit.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here's the car

Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, fix & post. That hose looks like the perfect fit. Very nice Ghia too. The 68 must be an odd ball when it comes to fuel tanks.
On my 72 the bend is made by the metal fuel filler pipe.
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:
Good info, fix & post. That hose looks like the perfect fit. Very nice Ghia too. The 68 must be an odd ball when it comes to fuel tanks.
On my 72 the bend is made by the metal fuel filler pipe.

If memory serves me right, I think 68 had a one year only fuel tank.

How is it 'NOS' if it has been modified?

The Thread Killer.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrakeB wrote:
If memory serves me right, I think 68 had a one year only fuel tank.

You are rcorrect about tank, but problem is not the tank. Can be solved with regular later, bend metal tube and straight hose.

@lootsIamYourFather:
Nice fix!
BillA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

lootsIamYourFather,

Thank you for the Napa part number.
This is my 68 Ghia

Have Fun,
BillA
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread, but am glad I found this. Found one on eBay... Been trying to find an alternative to the original tube. This looks to work perfectly. Thanks!
okie mopar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

What size is the smaller hose? Thanks
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

I just replaced the filler neck and overflow hose on my 72.

This is what I used for the smaller one - 5/8"

I got it from a local heavy truck repair place.

I also bought the NAPA hose for the filler neck, they only sell it in 3' lengths where I am in Canada.
larson_gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

Hi there, I realize I'm adding to an old thread, but I have a related question. I've combed this excellent forum and this is the thread that comes the closest. I'm looking for either an original part or a repro that closely matches this fuel filler pipe. The NAPA part is a good substitute, but it requires leaving off the large grommet between the trunk and fenderwell. Help anybody?
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

Just put that hose on from Napa. Wasn’t happy that the previous posts failed to mention that grommet. I bought a new grommet and it didn’t fit. Here’s what I did. I was able to pull the old grommet out without it falling apart. I trimmed the ID to fit the Napa hose with a slight interference fit. I had to cut the bulbed end of the metal filler tube coming down from the fender so it would fit inside the Napa hose. I hated doing it but it worked out. TAKE THIS ADVICE. DO NOT CUT THE HOSE TO SHORT. Didn’t take any pics. I’ll see about taking one I the morning. Hope this helps. It is a good hose it just will not make it through the grommet and over the bulb like originally. I haven’t had any water from the wheel enter the trunk area and no fuel leaks from just clamping to the filler tube .
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

lootsIamYourFather wrote:
My issue has been that every time I order a fuel filler neck hose for my 1968 Ghia, I get something that simply does not fit. Its to short and there is no bend or provision for the down tube from the filler door to the offset inlet in the tank.

Okay, so I wanna do a short write up on this... After tons of searching around and talking to Autovise Imports in Lynnwood, well I have come to a fix.

Autovise says I have the wrong tank.. I’m not totally convinced of that, but I am no expert... What I have appears to be bone stock...

The solution... From lots of searching here in these forums I see people order from Napa part number 1045... Straight tube and cutting to size. My problem has been that it is straight and the one that came with the car has an angle in order to line up. Order part number 1047 from Napa.. It has a 90 degree bend in it and simply cut it down for a perfect fit. Fuel flows as it should and fitment is much better. No kinks either... Sliding it over the flanges isn’t bad at all and once its done, a much better look and fit.

Hope this helps someone out there!

And here's the car

yup here we are 10 years later and someone is looking at your ghia...that's me!!!!

I have a 68 and working on the tank having the same issues and see you figured it out.

do you remember if your tank had the oval opening for the large fille hose you attached?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Fuel Filler Neck Hose Reply with quote

larson_gt wrote:
Hi there, I realize I'm adding to an old thread, but I have a related question. I've combed this excellent forum and this is the thread that comes the closest. I'm looking for either an original part or a repro that closely matches this fuel filler pipe. The NAPA part is a good substitute, but it requires leaving off the large grommet between the trunk and fenderwell. Help anybody?

I'm working on a 68 ghia and having the same tank/hose issues. Did you resolve your filler neck hose problem and if so how?

Thank you!!

Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: