Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first type III
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

When are you gonna replace those crap front fenders and redo the upholstery???…oh wait, that's my job!! Laughing (wooden tugboat project will be on it's way to the museum soon, then, yay! more VW time!! Very Happy ).

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
72squareguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Car came with a few spares. How about eleven pressure sensors??? Do these things fail that often??? Finally had a chance to do some actually work to the car today on Good Friday. We first checked the brakes, which looked decent despite the long period of inactivity. As the linings and hydraulics were neither seized or leaking, we bleed out the old fluid. Some nasty looking gunge came out, but once clear brake fluid appeared, the brakes felt fine. We will be putting on all new flex hoses once the car returns to road use. I kinda thought Midas would have done this already...

Do you have any E system Pressure Sensors?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

That's a mish-mash of parts, but you can probably sell/trade what doesn't fit your car. All should have part numbers on them, and you can find out which ones you need.
Fasty1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Would there be any Pressure Sensors for a 1971 FI Fasty available?
If you think parts are hard to find. Try living downunder in Oz! Cool
Fasty1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Time to tackle the dash and instruments...

Given that the dashboard is what you see when actually driving the car, I wanted to restore it as soon as possible. The before picture shows the badly cracked dash-pad, and very rusty gauge bezels. First step was to remove the securing screws and grab handle nuts for the pad...

All of you Type III people will laugh, but removing those gauges sucked really bad for someone who has not done this before. Releasing those "tangs" was an effort in frustration!!! The clock came out easily, but I think I took a few months off my life getting out the other two! I am seldom a "butcher", when I work, but made an exception and broke away the old damaged dash-pad so I could get a better grip on the speedo and fuel gauge to release them. Not high on the fun factor...

The old speedo finally out. See that crack in the left of the lens? I didn't do that but I can guarantee that the mechanic who changed the dash bulbs back in March of 1971 did it while attempting to desperately pry out the speedometer...

Much better. Different refinished bezels, and a good lens from a parts speedometer... The other gauges were also given this treatment. The clock refused to work at all on the bench, so was replaced with a spare that seemed to work just fine...

Back in, and tested before seating fully!

The replacement dash fully repaired by the other owner looks very nice installed. This was from an earlier car then our '69, and required modification to allow the grab handle to fit properly. Note the lack of the VIN number on the pad. We saved it but have decided not to rivet it to the new pad.

Played with the radio too. The original dealer installation was very sloppy, with poor alignment and obvious lack of care and effort. The light was never even hooked up. VW probably paid the flat rate mechanics very little to do this job, and the lack of quality shows. If I had picked up my brand new car and saw that job, I know I would have been pissed!

Getting the dash lights to work properly would have required a new switch. The dimmer resistor was lying under the switch in little broken coils. I elected to directly wire it via the parklights. This works fine except you can no longer dim the lights. Not a big deal to me. Anyway I am happy this job is done as at least the parts of the car I can see while driving look better now! As the insurance has expired on my daily driver, it is all commuting by Type III now everyday. Looking forward to it!

Also, amazing job on the clock. How did you restore the face?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Time to tackle the dash and instruments...

Played with the radio too. The original dealer installation was very sloppy, with poor alignment and obvious lack of care and effort. The light was never even hooked up. VW probably paid the flat rate mechanics very little to do this job, and the lack of quality shows. If I had picked up my brand new car and saw that job, I know I would have been pissed!

Just relooked at this... that radio bracket if for a '71-up dash. They hacked the corners to fit your early dash. No dealer did that; you can thank a lazy PO this that work. You need this style:
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
Okay, I did get around to repairing the dash….The dash was cracked along the RHS of the speaker perforations. There was actual material missing between the holes so I had to use some sort of black glue with filler, and preferably one that is flexible when cured. Lately I have been using a bunch of Sikaflex 291 and being able to adhere to most things but flexible when cured seemed to fit the bill. I had no idea of whether or not this would work, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Here is the dash with the break cleaned/dried and taped off

Thought these finish nails, coated in silicone might work to keep the holes open as the Sikaflex cannot be drilled once set and I don't have a punch that could be used.

Open up the crack and get some goop in there

Insert the nails after it is smoothed off

Had to weight it to get the proper shape

Let the Sika cure well.

Twist the nails to break any bond they had to the Sika

Cut off any excess

Not bad… Smile

WOW! Great simple approach to fixing that notorious crack, my 67 has a pretty clean crack, when the time comes, I'm definitely going to try this method.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

I did the same with gorilla glue, then vinyl dyed it, it looked good for 3 years them the surrounding areas cracked. Ray had a good explanation of the vinyl shrink in another thread. Its a losing battle in the long run.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

I have not updated this thread for awhile, but here is an update. I am still driving the Fastback everyday and nothing at all has gone wrong. Since its resurrection, I have added 5000km to its odometer! Dealing with those rusty fenders looks like the winter project this year...

For 72Squareguy and Fasty1973, send me a private message and which part number you need for the pressure regulators. Because I do not know if they are any good, I will happily send you one for the cost of mailing them to you.

And thanks to KTPhil for the info about the radio face plate. I had hoped VW would not have done that. Makes you wonder why anyone would have done that...

And sadly the dash repair is not lasting. It looked great for most of the first summer, but was starting to open slightly later on. Unfortunately the repair is splitting as the dash appears to be shrinking. I would guess replacement is the only option in the future...

With regards to the instrument repairs, the bezels where easy to repair, just sanding, priming, and painting. The gauges were disassembled and the faces simply cleaned up. I would like to tell you the clock is keeping excellent time but that would be a lie... I am thinking more about those reproduction tachometers that are available... We will see what this winter brings for improvements...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Fasty1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Will have to try and restore the clock I have stripped out of my old 71 TLE. It worked perfectly for years but has been in the car, in a shipping container since 2008. I have stripped the car back and now time to make it all right!

Will PM regarding the parts once I have pulled the MPS out and figures out what I need thanks.

As for your dash, I gather they are reasonable easy to come by in the US?
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

I have not really investigated buying a new dash pad yet. I believe they are currently available with the later style speaker grill, but not with the original earlier style perforations. Might be wrong about this...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

What about that neat BA4 Eberspacher? Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

I have not tried to fire up the Eberspacher yet... Won't do that until it is removed/cleaned/tested. Do intend on doing improvements to the Fasty this winter including replacing the front fenders and hopefully doing something about the rotting seats! A full repaint is still the eventual plan for this car...
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Sooo, I have not updated this for awhile... The fasty was used as a reliable daily driver until October of 2016. The points required a little tweaking, but that was it as far as work carried out. But it is time to deal with those rusting front fenders...

In November the car was ready to take up residence in my small workshop. Let the fun begin!

First up was to remove the trunk liner and see just how rusty the inner fenders really were. Was not looking forward to this part...

Of course the tinworm had been feasting. Didn't look all that bad at first...

The bumper came off next. Unfortunately one bumper bolt broke as there is no way to heat it or get much penetrating oil in there due to the panel design. The fenders were relatively easy to remove, and no fasteners broke.

And here is the rust in all its glory. Those reinforcement plates are pathetic rust traps. Ironic how they were supposed to make this area stronger, but obviously do the opposite once the mud and water collect behind them...

Why did VW put this damn hole here? Right in the line of fire for muck and water from the tire. Which then fills up the cavity between the reinforcement plate and the inner fender structure. Sure there is a small "drain" between the panels, but it is quite useless. Pure dumbness which caused these cars to rust out so bad...

So here is the car at the moment... And no that is my tenant's Mustang, not mine! Tricky fabrication and welding is the next step and a friend has offered to do this who is much better then me at this type of work. He is busy for the next while however... This does not matter much because I have been spending the last six months preparing my kid's first car. And before you ask, it is NOT a vintage VW. He won't be driving those for sometime yet...

Actually it is my old winter daily driver, a '95 Civic Si Coupe which we ended up getting carried away with and fully repainted it. Now it is too nice for winter use so a $100 Acura will be the new winter beater. It may be awhile for the Fasty gets those repairs... Crying or Very sad
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Still patiently waiting... This project will be continuing this Spring. For sure! And it has been undercover and was airing out in the sun the day before this happened...
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:

Still patiently waiting... This project will be continuing this Spring. For sure! And it has been undercover and was airing out in the sun the day before this happened...

I know the feeling. Had my Squareback under a cover, weather turned nice so I took it out for a drive, then a mini-blizzard. never fails
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Sooo, I have not updated this for awhile...

Why did VW put this damn hole here? Right in the line of fire for muck and water from the tire. Which then fills up the cavity between the reinforcement plate and the inner fender structure. Sure there is a small "drain" between the panels, but it is quite useless. Pure dumbness which caused these cars to rust out so bad...

Well, if you look at the earlier cars (67 and earlier), there aren't any of those brackets/braces on them. They were basically an after thought, trying to keep the existing tooling in place until the redesign for 70.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Going to look at a Type 3 parts stash for sale this weekend. He has a Fastback shell that might be an earlier model; hopefully those inner fender sections will be good...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, those big reinforcement thingies where for crash protection..

They might also provide some rigidity to the shell,
So a set of perfect ones were surgically removed form Dave's old car.

They didn't end up fitting my '67, and I *think* I still have them lying around,
Unless they got tossed...

Interested?
Or do you plan on removing them?

Where you are now with the project,
Up under those fenders,
It's clean clean clean time.
And then clean some more...
Weld only sticks to clean bare metal.

Sounds like a good job for a high school kid? Think
Not that many of them would do anything useful,
But maybe make it a condition for getting the new car or something? Laughing

I don't think you could ever really get things clean enough up under there to get good solid welds,
And seal for rust as good as the factory,
Without drilling some spot welds and breaking out the blaster.

If you are doing just the front fenders and nose area,
it would be good to just do that one part,
And make the project a manageable size.

What’s That Noise?!?
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Clatter, if you still have those reinforcement sections, I would definitely be interested! I really want to return this area to full strength, and look original. A friend of mine has the skill and patience for this kind of work, but it would be nice if we had some new original metal to be able to weld back in place. For now I want to repair this area and install the rust free fenders the previous owner supplied with the car. Eventually I wish to repaint the whole car to original, but for now would like to get it decent looking, and back on the road. I really miss driving this car and before you know it summer will be here... My teenage kid is still not showing much interest in old VWs, and he is very open in his criticism of the Fastback. He complains it is too much of a "granny-mobile". Too bad for him, I am going to drive it as much as I can! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: