Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 597, 598, 599 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^^^ Gee, that is just awful. Very Happy
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
crukab wrote:

^^^ Gee, that is just awful. Very Happy

Looked liked a nice day for a drive.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

It's time to get started on the deluxe again; at the current rate, by the time I'm done, prices will be down there with the superbeetles

So, the next area I decided to tackle was the cargo doors. They had been previously patched and bondo'd, so I had to scrape off the bondo and media blast them

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Interesting "easter egg" I uncovered when blasting

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

The lower cargo door check rods were rust-welded to the channels - had to cut the whole mess out

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

The AutoCraft pieces were a little too long; someone else told me theirs were too short. Maybe if I order another set they will be "just right." I'd had to sacrifice a set of decent doors I have just to get the lower 6"

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I decided to sacrifice my spare doors to fix my originals, rather than fight with the repro sections

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Built a box to go in to the treasure chest in my single cab over the weekend...

Test fitted it last night. It works!

The longitudinal dividers are glued and screwed in place to give support to the ends and floor. The transverse ones are removable, so I can have different sized compartments depending on what I'm carrying.

Some finishing work to do, like lowering the side rails to give more clearance under the box, but I'm pleased with that so far.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

bondo bus, at least there is some original paint under it
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:

bondo bus, at least there is some original paint under it

What method did you use to remove the bondo?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

the single is pretty rough, so i can be a little agressive in the striping process. im using a 5/8" wide putty knife its thin so it can flex a little with an edge dressed on it ( kinda like a chisel, but both sides). i had no luck with the easy off method, been using goo gone grafitti remover in a rattle can and 00 steel wool when i get close to the og paint. its a crap shoot, you never know whats under the re sprays and bondo!!! the really thick stuff like under the vents i will hammer and chisel then go back to scraping with the putty knife
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Warm the bondo up a bit with a propane torch and it comes right off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Warm the bondo up a bit with a propane torch and it comes right off.

I use a heat gun, which gives me more control and doesn't burn the bondo or over-heat the metal underneath.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Been thinking about what to do with my truck. The paint job on it looks like it was done in the 90s. They obviously put a lot of effort in, but killed the character. It's the wrong shade and way too shiny. They skimmed the body with bondo and some of that is quite thick over old repairs and has cracked. They also filled over some seams and there are areas where the paint is bubbling, so it needs some TLC.

I see encouraging signs that the original paint may still be under there though, so I'm in half a mind to try stripping it back. The alternative is to fix what's bad and get it repainted with the right shade, which would be much easier, but I'd always wonder if there might have been logos under there too...

Rob Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Drove my 67 bus on the road for about seven miles. Absolutely incredible, so much fun. Bus has not seen the road or been worthy since the 80s. Still needs some steering work among some other small things.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Rob Keith wrote:
Drove my 67 bus on the road for about seven miles. Absolutely incredible, so much fun. Bus has not seen the road or been worthy since the 80s. Still needs some steering work among some other small things.

That's awesome! You should start a thread for your bus and post updates.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Today, I met up with Samba user Pinetops ^^^ to pick up a replacement bumper for my bus.

Now I have the correct back pointed one (non-deluxe version)

It replaces this incorrect slash one. (The shiny one)

Piece by piece, inching along...
Stealthy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Dug these number plates out of storage. Forgot I had these (for a older bus I once had)

No good for my DC and Panel. Might have to get another window bus Very Happy

Australian CKD
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Stealthy wrote:
Dug these number plates out of storage. Forgot I had these (for a older bus I once had)

No good for my DC and Panel. Might have to get another window bus Very Happy

That is a super kool plate!!! Cool
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

With the motor in the bus, changing out the alternator in the daddybus was a real pain, so I removed the alternator stand mounting studs from the aluminum case and replaced them with bolts and M8 cylinder head washers. Now I can pull the alternator without the body contortions and fancy language needed to remove the fan beforehand.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 597, 598, 599 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 598 of 680

Jump to: