Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brake springs 63 bug
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZ 63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

Hi doing first brake job on the front of my 63, I purchased a new hardware kit, and installed it, but I didnt realize it had two different size springs that hold on the retaining caps, can anyone tell me if the larger one goes on top or bottom.
Thanks
JZ
retterath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&a...3228098448

Scroll down.
JZ 63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

Dont see it addressed here, but thanks some good info.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
The larger/stronger spring will be near the wheel cylinder.
Hope this helps, Bill.
JZ 63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

Hi thanks, but it the small springs that go behind the retaining cups, they are top and bottom on the front brakes, one is a taller spring than the other, I didnt know that till it was too late had them all removed.
Thanks
JZ
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm now thinking you're referring to the coil shaped brake shoe hold down springs. If so, use the longer ones for '58-'77 fronts, as the shoe is wider than the '57 and earlier. Mind you the rear shoe is narrow and would use the shorter coil spring. I personally do not have the dimensions for the spring heights. You may have bought a "universal" kit that would fit '58-'67 cars, as these cars had the narrow brake shoe in the rear and the wider shoe in front.
Hope this helps, Bill.
JZ 63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake springs 63 bug Reply with quote

Yeah thats it, thanks for your help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: