Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else a pilot?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

I have a glider ticket, tho I have not flown in near 30 years, every so often, I think about starting up again. Flew mostly at Elsinore & Torry Pines in CA. To get aero tows at Torry, we would winch launch, then land on the beach for our aero tow! Flying the cliffs there after storms was awesome!!

-c-
mslibertarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

A pic of me getting ready for my first flight in the Thrush earlier this year. I've done about 100 hours in it so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
Hey all! I just got enrolled in a pilot school over the summer and am getting my 10th hour of dual this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else here is a pilot too? I fly a 1969 Cessna 172.

Yes sir

Airline guy since 2004

Beechcraft 1900D
Embraer 135/145
Airbus A19/320/321
Currently 737 , headed to captain upgrade Sunday! LUV my job , helps pay for VW addiction

73 Bus
74 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

Scbrice wrote:
PatterBon wrote:
Hey all! I just got enrolled in a pilot school over the summer and am getting my 10th hour of dual this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else here is a pilot too? I fly a 1969 Cessna 172.

Yes sir

Airline guy since 2004

Beechcraft 1900D
Embraer 135/145
Airbus A19/320/321
Currently 737 , headed to captain upgrade Sunday! LUV my job , helps pay for VW addiction

73 Bus
74 Ghia

My early days I was a B1900 passenger every day. I loved the high security curtain for the cockpit until the day I saw an ILS into ROC in heavy snow…
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

My early days I was a B1900 passenger every day. I loved the high security curtain for the cockpit until the day I saw an ILS into ROC in heavy snow…

EFVS with FLIR cameras make all of that a thing of the past.. the airline I work for has zero visibility landing capability on most of the airframes. It's cool seeing it work on the ground
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

Is there any info out yet about the plane crash in Oregon? The one that just appeared to fall out of the sky and hit a house. All 3 on board seemed so young.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

lapsed PPSEL - Private Pilot Single Engine Land VFR. never renewed my medical. had a heart attack, which cancels your medical. never had a BFR.

I tried every conceivable way to justify buying a plane, and always ended up deciding the only sensible thing to do is rent.

looked into VW powered planes. bottom line: maybe, if you weigh less than 185 and live near sea level, and you just want to putt around the pea patch. no way if you live at 4600 feet elevation, weigh rather more than 185 and the next airport is 200 miles away

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

Charter/corporate pilot on a citation 1 and 3.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

Built my plane in my workshop in 2007, learned to fly, and built a hangar on my mate's farm.

Flew it all over Australia, flew 1000 hours and sold it three years ago when I found I was not using it enough.

Loved it and had a ball but was time to move on.

In my workshop.

(I have the sunnies on my head, my flying instructor is on the left in red t shirt)

Could land anywhere (almost)

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

I've always been an aviation enthusiast, always wanting to take up flying but the dream never materialized.

I'm well into my 60's and finally have the means to pursue the dream but I'm quite sure I would not pass the flight physical.

Though I'm not going to be able to the real thing I received a gift of simulator time for my birthday.
Looking forward to it Cool

https://takeflightohio.com/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

I fly with a friend who is licensed and enjoy taking thecontrols. Dad was RAF in WWII so I feel the connection. He soloed in a Tiger Moth, by dH, was in aviation his whole life his work went to the Moon

That Air Force crash into the Iowa corn field was a tragedy last week, though.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

I’ve worked at Cessna for many years, and like a lot of the employees there am a small plane pilot as well. They have an excellent flying club and training programs, for new pilots all the way up to CFI’s (& beyond). A couple of my good friends started out there w/ zero flight experience years ago, and now fly jets for the company - not a such bad deal... Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else a pilot? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That Air Force crash into the Iowa corn field was a tragedy last week, though.

Your post quoted above reminded me of another interesting story (albeit a bit sad). The father-in-law of one of the jet pilot friends mentioned in my post above worked for the FAA, and was one of the first investigators on the scene the morning after Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper died in that infamous plane crash in IA in the 1950’s. He (the friend’s father-in-law, passed away a few years back now) lived just down the street from us, so I was fortunate enough to get to hear some of the background and history on that a few times over the years.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Jump to:
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: