Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear view mirror mounting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Rear view mirror mounting Reply with quote

I have read several posts regarding the mounting of the interior mirror and understand the basics of "twist to mount." As my new headliner covers the mounting location, I was hoping someone had a pic of the mounting "holes" so I would know where to score the headliner. And additionally, is the twist to mount clock or counter clockwise? I don't want to destroy my new headliner, and as always, thanks in advance for your assistance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say try and located the mounting location by feel then a small hole. Mounting I think would be clockwise.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Wideopen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just walked back in after reading your post I took my mirror off and put it back on. Clockwise to remove and push strait in to install!

This is on my 71 super.

Squareback.....wife is begging for....not in the $ right now!lol
Sherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Interior mirror Reply with quote

My thanks to those that replied to my question. I will attempt to install the mirror after work today. Let's see............score the headliner in the correct location and push the mirror straight in. What could possibly go wrong......thanks again for the assistance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror should technically be able to twist off in either direction - turn the arm about 45 degrees either way and then the arm will come out of the hole. Re-install the reverse - lining it up at 45 degrees off to the right or left and turn back to center.

When you install the headliner over the hole, just feel the hole and cut a small cross into the headliner - don't cut too far.

You can't just push the mirror back in straight - you have to put it in at the angle then twist back to straight.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror mounting Reply with quote

I've installed a headliner in my 71 Super and I am nervous about making a cut for my rear view mirror. I have been searching without luck for photos to remind me what the mirror hole looks like or where others have made the incisions. My brain loves photos and struggles with text descriptions. Can anyone point me to any they've seen?

Thanks,

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror mounting Reply with quote

Original factory "cutouts":
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Maddel on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
The mirror should technically be able to twist off in either direction - turn the arm about 45 degrees either way and then the arm will come out of the hole. Re-install the reverse - lining it up at 45 degrees off to the right or left and turn back to center.

When you install the headliner over the hole, just feel the hole and cut a small cross into the headliner - don't cut too far.

You can't just push the mirror back in straight - you have to put it in at the angle then twist back to straight.

Everything he said.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror mounting Reply with quote

Thanks, Maddie, for the very helpful photos. Thanks, too, to enjoyther1de for the help.

Tonight I cut the headliner!

Best wishes,
Scott
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: