Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I remove the external oil cooler?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I have a new-to-me Bug that hadn't run in 13 years. I've gotten it running so that I know the engine is a keeper, but it's an oil covered mess in need of a refresh, at minimum, which is up next on my to-do list.

I'm going to pull it, hopefully this week before the semester starts up, and I wanted to know if the external oil cooler and filter are worth keeping if I'm going to rebuild it back to stock.

Here are the engine details that I know:
- 1600cc dual port exchange motor
- compression is 100-125, with the weakest being cylinder 3
- Bocar 34PICT3 carb I rebuilt
- Bosch 034/009 distributor (I bashed two non-working distributors together to create an SVDA dizzy--fun project for $30 bucks)
- heat risers have been cut off (but I have an undamaged one to put in)
- idles fine, but has a few air leaks, perhaps from the red intake manifold boots
- half the engine tins are missing
- external oil cooler mounted on the left side of the backseat firewall, with braided hoses running from the rear of the engine down underneath on the driver's side
- external oil filter resting on top of the transaxle, not attached to anything!

I'm sure the external cooler was installed just to help the engine run cooler, especially with all the tins that were missing. Most of what the PO did was a patch job, at best. Not knocking him really, but the work was less than tidy in most places. You should see the red velour diamond pattern headliner and the Cal Look side mirror held in place with drywall screws and anchors.

Obviously, when I pull the engine and tear it down, I'll need to decide if I'm going to keep the oil cooler and external filter or not. Since I already have it, should I just keep it, or is it best to take it out of the oiling system?

1969 Beetle, 1776cc, manual conversion (done by PO), Bosch 034 SVDA, 34Pict-3, 2.5" drop spindles w/disc brakes, DIY 4” narrowed beam w/Airkewld adjusters, 205/65R15 out back and 175/55R15 up front on EMPI GT-8s.

1974 Kombi Safare Custom Camper NUGGET that needs everything

My YouTube build videos: School St. Garage.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
'99 VW Beetle TDI (all I miss are the mpgs)

Last edited by BugNerd on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler removal? Reply with quote

Tucker,
You really don't need the external oil cooler on a stock engine. A "doghouse" fan shroud and cooler are all that's needed, Even in the LA basin. You can get them from the classified or as some have mentioned here from Awesome powder coat. You should have every piece of engine tin for proper cooling, Make sure to get a good working thermostat and flaps in the fan shroud too. It will help with the warm up and cooling. Once you have all of the tins in place stand back and take a look at your engine compartment. If you can see the driveway through the tins, you need to address the opening. This prevents radiant heat from the exhaust from getting into the fan shroud fresh air intake.
I looked at your gallery. So I know that you can post pics. Please post a few of your setup before you take the engine out. That will help the vet's here guide you as to what to do about your external oil filter.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler removal? Reply with quote

I'll get the pics up later today. Thanks!

1969 Beetle, 1776cc, manual conversion (done by PO), Bosch 034 SVDA, 34Pict-3, 2.5" drop spindles w/disc brakes, DIY 4” narrowed beam w/Airkewld adjusters, 205/65R15 out back and 175/55R15 up front on EMPI GT-8s.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler removal? Reply with quote

Here you go:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:

Last edited by BugNerd on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 pm; edited 8 times in total
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler removal? Reply with quote

A point of clarification, the oil cooler is mounted on the firewall under the back parcel floor just above the transaxle.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

That's a full flow system so it's not a hack job in that respect. Id be more concerned with the way those hoses are run than anything.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

You need every piece of tin from the first image. That is from the fan shroud down. In the second image you can see the "doghouse fan shroud setup. This is the best cooling system for a stock 1600.
Also you need the engine compartment seals that surround the forward(forward is forward) and rear(rear is rear of the car) around the missing breast plate.
The location of your current external oil cooler is not ideal. There is little air flow there.
Regarding the remote oil filter, I run a filter off of the oil pump cover. It is simple and does an effective job of catching contaminants in the oil stream.
Basher is a knowledgeable poster here. But in this case I have to disagree that you have a true full flow system since your supply and return oil lines originate at the oil pump cover, Rather than tapping into an oil galley at a remote location.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Good advice all around.

The lower hoses were held up tight to the engine with zip ties, which I've cut to figure out what I had. The zip ties were quite brittle, so it still wasn't the ideal setup. And I had the same thought that airflow was not going to be good up in there. The setups that I've seen done better had a small electric fan mounted on them, at minimum.

I've already ordered most of the missing tins (if not all) and the rubber engine compartment seals from JBugs, so no worries there. I'm on it. I'm curious when I pull the doghouse if the original oil cooler will be there, or if it'll be capped off.

Looks like I'll be pulling the cooler out of the system but looking to keep the filter. I'm a fan of remote filters for easier access just to improve my mood when I change the oil. Did that on my CJ3A running a crudy Ford V8.

Thanks, again.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Regarding the remote oil filter, I run a filter off of the oil pump cover. It is simple and does an effective job of catching contaminants in the oil stream.
Basher is a knowledgeable poster here. But in this case I have to disagree that you have a true full flow system since your supply and return oil lines originate at the oil pump cover, Rather than tapping into an oil galley at a remote location.
Good Luck.

I have to disagree with you on this, look again at this pic:

The outlet is at the pump cover, and the inlet is tapped into the case in the correct full flow location. Note how they needed to notch the breast plate around the inlet fitting.

That location for the oil cooler is not terrible, many people mount them above the trans, although there is usually a thermostatically controlled fan mounted on top. It is out of the way of most road debris in this location as well. I like to run the filter before the cooler if I'm going external, why cool dirty oil?
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

That tin list is actually missing the left and right rear deflectors, they seem to get overlooked a lot.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

clean it, fix leek's, lower the cooler about 2" add a fan if needed .mount the filter. have fun.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Should I remove the external oil cooler? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
clean it, fix leek's, lower the cooler about 2" add a fan if needed .mount the filter. have fun.

why should he cook asian vegetables?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: