Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

so, I've been searching around on the forums but haven't found a good answer yet.

have a stock t3 style engine, pancake cooling tin setup that I want to run in an 'open engine' car I've been building. shameless plug>>

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644402

Problem is that t3 setup has oil filler that generally also serves as a dipstick and filler bolts to part of the body on the t3 vehicles, but I have no body on which to mount this filler/dipstick unit. I made an adapter to use a type 1 dipstick with the t3 case and shroud, but all the reading I've done says not to use the plastic cover on the t3 breather to use for an oil filler because if you pry it on and off too much then it won't stay put. So, question is, anyone foresee any issues with modifying the t3 breather to take a t1 oil filler cap instead of the t3 plastic plug? anyone have any thoughts on a cleaner solution?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

Originally that breather had a washer and a spring under the plastic cap.

I'm not sure how you could accommodate this spring/washer setup with a T1 cap, but if you can figure it out, there is no reason that wouldn't work.

(Mine is missing the spring, with no apparent problems, by the way).
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

The one I've got has the spongy thing, no spring. Not even sure it has the washer. Was planning to reuse the sponge though.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

I run this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With a breather box. Mount the box where you want and run the hoses. Post a picture of your creation for the rest of the type 3 crowd.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

the CB T-3 breather works well, only 2 screws

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

You mean something like this?

This was back in 2000-2004 when I ran a converted bug engine in my 65 Notch. There is a "road draft tube" attached to the bottom of the bug breather, that vents to the bottom of the engine. Later, when I ran stock Solex carbs and a stock air cleaner, I used the upper port like it would normally be used.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

This will thread into the Type-3 breather stand. You could use a quick release fitting from this cap to a breather box. That'll allow you to easily remove the cap for oil filling.

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3247.htm

Similar to what I did here. Although I'm not using the cap for oil fill, so I used regular AN fittings.

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

Wow Critter1. Nice looking motor. Nice details. Well done
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
This will thread into the Type-3 breather stand. You could use a quick release fitting from this cap to a breather box. That'll allow you to easily remove the cap for oil filling.

Similar to what I did here. Although I'm not using the cap for oil fill, so I used regular AN fittings.

I'm sorry with my highjack, Critter1, that's a beautifully detailed work of art. Thanks for sharing that.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

I hope the OP got his question answered.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

yes, thanks for all the responses and sorry for the late reply.

bobnotch-that was exactly the idea i had in mind.

critter1-very nice work. off topic, but curious about your heat exchanger outlet delete as well. long term would like to get a set up like that for this project I'm working on.

for those that didn't notice the build thread link and wanted to see the car,
here is the best picture I have at the moment.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 engine/non type 3 vehicle/oil filler/breather Reply with quote

Find a shop that'll weld magnesium. Lop off the outlets & cap them with some extra bits of flat magnesium... I used bits off a doner shroud.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: