Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather tube
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Breather tube Reply with quote

Have a '65 bug..Is it normal to have oil leaking down through the breather tube?and is there a way to stop it from leaking down to my garage floor?thanks
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather tube Reply with quote

CAlex wrote:
Have a '65 bug..Is it normal to have oil leaking down through the breather tube?and is there a way to stop it from leaking down to my garage floor?thanks

first thing is to make sure the breather system is hooked up corrctly, the tube that goes down to the road is the road draft tube, it should have a little rubber boot that acts as a check valve on the end. West Coast Metric carries this part.

also there should be a hose fitted to the top of the oil filler tower, next to the fill cap, this hose should be routed to a port on the air cleaner, the hose should be tight fitting, leak free, an old hose my be somewhat porous, a new hose might help if it is degraded, or no longer fits snug.

also there is supposed to be a baffle mounted between the case and the oil filler tower, and it has to be orientated correctly, this helps keep oil splash from overwhelming the breather system. you may have to pull off the oil fill tower to determine if it is present, a pain of a job, or get a boroscope to peer down the filler to see it it is indeed installed. it should have a paper gasket above and below it. the baffles should be oriented to keep splash out, it can be installed one of eight ways, see a rebuild manual for proper orientation. as you only have a one in eight chance of getting it right if you guess.

Once all the parts are installed and in good condition, oil drips should not be a problem from there, unless you are experiencing excessive blowby, worn ring for instance, if so, a dip pan on the floor is the simple solution until you rebuild her.

good luck

ps link below to show the road draft tube rubber check valve, last item on page, part number 311-541

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/category/78/engine_seals__parts

the next link shows the baffle piece that goes between the filler and case, it is a square metal plate, with four holes for the oil tower mounting studs to pass thru and has several baffles stamped in it it is shown with the entire gasket kit, it is the item in the center just below the valve cover gaskets.

link... https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/111-198-00...ype_3_6673

good luck in stopping the leak

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather tube Reply with quote

Ideally, there should not be oil dripping down. That tube may trap condensed water. There is a pinch "valve" at the bottom of the rubber nipple that should let the water drip out, but not allow dirt to be sucked in.

In reality, I've always noticed a little oil weep on my older cars with that style breather. But only maybe a drop or two overnight.

What air cleaner are you running? The stock oil bath has a hose that should be sucking any oil fumes back into the intake. If you put a non-stock air cleaner it may not draw correctly (if it even has a hose barb).

A photo of your engine bay setup may help us diagnose.
CAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather tube Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the quick feedback,i really dont think there is one of those baffle plates on,had motor running and took oil cap off and alot of oil was spraying out of oil filler,so i think that some of that oil thats spraying up is draining down the breather tube.wich may explain why i have oil comming out of that nipple onto my garage floor.dont know toomuch about this but what you guys think...thanks again
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather tube Reply with quote

I have a 65 with a later 1600 & a cheap air cleaner on it. The breather tube hose was positioned facing down & a rubber hose just dumped underneath. It made a mess leaking out. I welded a nipple on top of the air cleaner lid & ran the hose to there. No more mess.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: